PDA

View Full Version : Parkers of Bodicote/Barton Oxf. Go to Canada

Popsrekrap
23-09-2005, 3:55 PM
Recently JanBooth (thanks again) directed me to a family member Joseph Parker (b1821). He dissapeared off any censuses, I've looked at, after his marriage in 1844 to Elizabeth Hopkins (b1819).
They subsequently reappear in the 1881 census as 60yrs old with two daughters (29yrs) & (26 yrs) and presumeably a grand daughter (2yrs) living in Banbury. The daughters seem to have been born in St. Thomas Canada which I have determined is in Ontario, the GDtr is on FreeBMD born 1878. After trawling the internet I found a Joserh Parker & wife entering Canada in 1845 (on Ingeneas.com) but little else, this may not even be them.
A cople of questions/mystery's would be: did somthing happen circa 1844 in the area of Barton/Bodicote/Adderbury wherby a number or group of people Emigrated to Canada or was it just the Parkers?
Is there some religious connection with the event. (The great potato famine of Ireland was about the same time, but I see no connection to this event).
(notably St.Thomas is famous for the accident and cause of death of JT Barnum's elephant "Jumbo") but I rather doubt the Circus has anything to do with their emigration)
Why come back? and any number of other questions.
If anyone can throw any light or other places to search let me know. Thanks.