PDA

View Full Version : Gilcrist or Gregory Surname

Cazmcl
19-01-2016, 4:10 AM
Hi I am wondering if anyone has heard of George Leslie Gilcrist who married Lillian Gregory from NSW in Australia.
It has been said that they moved from Australia to live in Scotland.
Lillian would have been born sometime after 1867 she came from a large family.
Unfortunately I don't know anymore information.
My descendant is Lillian Gregory and I would love to know what happened to her once she left Australia.
If anyone has any information that would be great, thank you.

warncoort
19-01-2016, 5:42 AM
Where and when did the marriage take place?
Where was Lillian born,and what were her parents' names?

almach
19-01-2016, 6:42 AM
Do you have an approximate year for when they moved to UK, would there have been children with them?

christanel
19-01-2016, 6:46 AM
I took a quick look earlier and can't find a marriage in the NSW BMD's using variations of the names Gilcrist/Gilchrist and Lillian/Lilian and just using surnames etc etc.

Christina

Lesley Robertson
19-01-2016, 9:44 AM
You could go to Scotland's People and look for a death using both her maiden and married surnames, no date, no specific place, and see if anything comes up.

Squaredancer
19-01-2016, 12:51 PM
Is it possible that although she was from NSW, they married elsewhere?

Cazmcl
23-02-2016, 1:56 PM
Hi, not sure where they were married. Lillian was born in Narrabri NSW, her parents were George And Elizabeth Gregory

Cazmcl
23-02-2016, 1:58 PM
No I wish I did but details are very sketchy, all I know is her brother Daniel Gregory visited them in Scotland but not sure where.

Cazmcl
23-02-2016, 2:00 PM
Yes it's very possible, she may have moved to Scotland with George and then married

Cazmcl
23-02-2016, 2:01 PM
Thanks I will try that.

Lesley Robertson
23-02-2016, 2:26 PM
If they married in Scotland, the certificate will also be on Scotland's People. Did you ever look for that death certificate?

christanel
23-02-2016, 8:51 PM
No I wish I did but details are very sketchy, all I know is her brother Daniel Gregory visited them in Scotland but not sure where.

A Daniel Gregory age 54 (born c1858) sailed on the Wakool from London England on the 27 Aug 1912 destination Sydney. His occupation - painter.
Does this sound like your Daniel Gregory?

Christina

Dundee10
25-02-2016, 3:44 PM
Hi I am wondering if anyone has heard of George Leslie Gilcrist who married Lillian Gregory from NSW in Australia.
It has been said that they moved from Australia to live in Scotland.
Lillian would have been born sometime after 1867 she came from a large family.

Hi, not sure where they were married. Lillian was born in Narrabri NSW, her parents were George And Elizabeth Gregory

Cazmcl, perhaps you can tell us where you are getting your information from. I can see George and Elizabeth registering the births of a number of children, firstly in Wee Waa and later in the Narrabri district, but there is no Lillian or similar. Do you have any documents that show her as a daughter of George and Elizabeth, such as their death certificates?

I do see that they had a son named George born in 1862 who married at Narrabri in 1889 to Lelias GILCHRIST. This couple also had lots of children including a son named George Leslie.

George's obituary in 1930 says that Daniel was living in WA and does not indicate that any of his sisters were in Scotland at that time.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/138430181

aak1957
24-07-2017, 4:07 PM
Lilias Gilchrist (1863-1940) was my great-grandmothers sister.
She was born in Liverpool in 1863. Her mother Elizabeth Paterson died in 1864 and father James Gilchrist in 1866. Lilias with her two sisters Elizabeth and Maggie-Jane (Jean) were sent to Glasgow and shared between relatives. Lilias went to her Aunt Jean McLarty, nee Gilchrist. In the 1881 census she was with her sister Elizabeth Aitken at Kinning Park in Glasgow.
In 1884 Lilias emigrated to NSW on the SS Abergeldie and went on to Narrabri where I believe she married George Leslie Gregory (died age 68 in 1930). One of their descendants, a Mrs Rosewarn lived at Gould Street, Narrabri, probably 50 years ago. It is in my grandmothers old address book. My grandmother was called Lillian, but always said she should have been called Lilias.

They were descended from Lilias Welch (1773-1855) whose gravestone is in Tullibody Auld Kirk near Stirling in Scotland.

https://it.billiongraves.com/grave/Wm-Paterson/21868057

aak1957
26-07-2017, 10:05 AM
Lilias Gilchrist (1863-1940) was my great-grandmothers sister.
She was born in Liverpool in 1863. Her mother Elizabeth Paterson died in 1864 and father James Gilchrist in 1866. Lilias with her two sisters Elizabeth and Maggie-Jane (Jean) were sent to Glasgow and shared between relatives. Lilias went to her Aunt Jean McLarty, nee Gilchrist.

Correction - Lilias was with Aunt Mary McLarty (or McLardy) in the 1871 census.