PDA

View Full Version : marshall

rodanj
19-09-2005, 8:40 AM
Hi, looking for my grandads family. His name was eric marshall, he married a Lottie ensor, they had 5 children, eric,joyce maureen,betty and my mother audrey june.They lived on aleystone rd, leicester,their house is still there.My mother was born on the 14june 1929. Have just been looking on a couple of sites to no avail.
Hope someone can help.
Roza

Geoffers
19-09-2005, 9:09 AM
Hi, looking for my grandads family. His name was eric marshall, he married a Lottie ensor, they had 5 children, eric,joyce maureen,betty and my mother audrey june.They lived on aleystone rd, leicester,their house is still there.My mother was born on the 14june 1929.Are you trying to trace what happened to the children mentioned? If so and assuming that your grandad has died, I'd suggest the first place to look might be the index to wills. A will can provide a lot of family information, realtionships, names and addresses; it may mention cousins of whom you were previously unaware.

If you are trying to trace your grandfather's parents; you will need to look for his marriage certificate using the GRO index; and after that his birth certificate. If not sure how to use these or where to find a will, please ask.

Geoffers

rodanj
20-09-2005, 1:48 PM
Hi, I forgot to mention I am in Australia, so a lot of stuff is not available here. I only know he married someone with the last name of buxton. I am trying to go back further.Have been in the 1837 site, and could only find my mother in there. Used up around 50 units and couldnt find any one else.

get2BJ
20-09-2005, 2:44 PM
Hi Roza,

Could this be him on the 1901 Census:

Carlton Road, Kibworth Harcourt (Market Harborough), Leicestershire:
George Marshall, head, m, 34, about 1867, Groom Domestic, Dingley, Northants
Lizzie W Marshall, wife, m, 29, about1872, Brighton, Sussex
Winifred M Marshall, daug, 5, about 1896
Charles W Marshall, son, 4, about 1897
Eric G Marshall, son, 2, about 1899
Children all born in Medbourne, Leics
RG13/2954, Folio 41, Page10, Ecc Parish: Kibworth Beauchamp St Wilfred

This is 8 miles from the parish of Ayleston in Leicestershire, if your last known address of Aleyston Road (typo?) in 1929 is anything to go by it could be him.

Brenda

get2BJ
20-09-2005, 3:04 PM
Couldn't see a suitably aged Lottie or Charlotte Ensor on the 1901, living in Leics. There was a Baby Ensor, daug, aged 4 months, born about 1897(!) according to the index! She could have gone on to be named anything including Lottie.
Plenty of other Ensors though and the 1901 is free to search in Sep '05.

Sorry I couldn't have been more help.

Brenda

Geoffers
20-09-2005, 4:13 PM
Hi, I forgot to mention I am in Australia, so a lot of stuff is not available here. I only know he married someone with the last name of buxton. I am trying to go back further.Have been in the 1837 site, and could only find my mother in there. Used up around 50 units and couldnt find any one else.In can take a while searching the GRO indexes. You have a list of children; if you can, put them in chronological order so that you can work out roughly when Eric MARSHALL is likely to have married Lottie ENSOR. The marriage certificate should give you the ages at marriage and also fathers' names and occuaptions - so hopefully you can confirm that the 1901 census details provided by Brenda are correct. From the estimated year of birth given by the marriage certificate, it is then easier to look for births in the GRO index. If the census return is correct, then you'll find your Eric's birth recorded in the December Quarter 1898.

Geoffers

rodanj
26-09-2005, 1:40 PM
Thanks Geoffers, can you tell me where I could find the details of his will. He died around 1983/5.I know my mother received some money. It was split up between the children. My mother's brother also lives over here. I am trying to go back. I know that his mother was a Buxton, but from where I don't know.

rodanj
26-09-2005, 1:42 PM
I don't think my grandfather came from a large family. I think he only had a brother who we think also came out here. I have tried writing to my Aunt in Leicester but never received a reply.

rodanj
26-09-2005, 1:44 PM
I have found out a bit about Lottie Ensor, thanks to Procat. I am now going to the lds family center looking up the gro indexes..Very tedious..

Geoffers
26-09-2005, 1:52 PM
Thanks Geoffers, can you tell me where I could find the details of his will. He died around 1983/5.I know my mother received some money. It was split up between the children. My mother's brother also lives over here. I am trying to go back. I know that his mother was a Buxton, but from where I don't know.
If you don't live in London, best place to try is either your County Records Office, or Local Studies Library. The index to wills has been copied onto mircofilm and is very easy to use.

The COurt Service web-site has some information on applying for copies of wills

Geoffers

rodanj
27-09-2005, 11:32 AM
Sorry Geoffers, I don't even live in the country, came out to Australia at the age of 2, so can't get to London in a hurry..
Thanks

Geoffers
27-09-2005, 4:41 PM
Ah, a bit far for a cheap-day retrun then. I think you mentioned that you knew roughly when he died - if the time period isn't too great, you should be able to locate the entry on the GRO index, this can be used online on a pay-per-view site 1837 online and you can then apply online for a copy of the certificate.

With the date, you can then request the Probate Registry to search for a copy of the will, there is a standard fee of £5 for a four-year search and a copy of the will, if found. I don't know if it costs extra for international orders.

Geoffers