PDA

View Full Version : Marriage Certificate

Mary Kennedy
19-09-2005, 12:19 AM
Hello,

Was wondering if anyone could look up the the marriage note for John Madden and Margaret Waters for July - Sept 1838 ref no. 3 197 and let me know where they were married and if there is mention place of birth. They were married in Middlesex, England.

Don't know if anyone can get access to these records.

Thank you.

Mary Kennedy Flynn

Peter Goodey
19-09-2005, 8:49 AM
I would strongly recommend that you do some very basic reading about genealogy. A good place to start might be http://www.genuki.org.uk/gs/

also follow up the links from that page. A trip to your local library would be useful in order to study some selected books from the bibliography shown on the same page. Ancestral Trails is quite good.

In the context of this question, you will be interested in explanations of what a GRO reference is, what it means and how to order a birth, marriage or death certificate. You'll then see among other things that a GRO reference is not complete without the name of the Registration District and also realise that no member of the public has free access to the certificates - they need to be ordered individually. You can do this yourself online at http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/ and pay by credit card.

Geoffers
19-09-2005, 9:22 AM
To add to Peter's response, marriage certificates do not show place of birth. Try finding the couple and any children in the 1851 census; this should record a birthplace. The 1841 census may be useful as well, though it contains less information. if you're not sure what informaiton is contained in census returns and where to find them, please ask.Geoffers

Paul Watts
20-09-2005, 12:24 AM
The only thing I can add to what has already been suggested is to use FreeBMD to try to identify the marriage - you may be lucky.

This should enable you to identify the full reference and thereby where the marriage took place.

Happy hunting

Paul

get2BJ
20-09-2005, 12:51 AM
Hi Mary,

I'd just finished looking up another marriage for the same period when I saw your post. The FreeBMD page was still open on my computer so I searched using Middlesex Vol 3, Page 197:

Marriages Sep Qtr 1838: John Madden and Margaret Waters, Kensington District, Vol 3, Page 197.

Kensington covers the following districts:

Created 1st July 1837. In Middlesex until 1889.
Sub-districts : Brompton; Chelsea; Fulham; Hammersmith St. Paul; Hammersmith St. Peter; Kensington Central; Kensington North; Kensington South; Kensington Town; Paddington St. John; Paddington St. Mary.

GRO volumes : III (1837-51); 1a (1852-1930).
Chelsea (1837-41); Fulham (1837-75), Hammersmith (1837-75), Kensington, Paddington (1837-95). Hope this helps, you will need to order the marriage certificate now I guess.

Brenda

Sarah Price
20-09-2005, 9:46 AM
I did respond to your previous post for a look up and you will see there that John and Margaret were both listed as having been born in 'Ireland' in the 1861 census. regards Sarah