PDA

View Full Version : Where in WGC is this?

smj7290
07-08-2015, 2:39 PM
Hi all,

I have picture of a couple who lived in Welwyn Garden City for many years, but nobody can make out where they are stood. I need a Welwyn Garden City history expert really.

We thought it might be Peartree Stores along Peartree Lane (very near to their home), but we can't be sure. I think there is some writing, but it's illegible to me.

Also, when is it taken? The gentleman stood there died in 1957, and the woman died in 1966. I'm having some trouble with this also.

Any help appreciated.
https://www.british-genealogy.com/extensions/uploads/3925bcd7-5dee-4315-9a58-ba5b31de902c.jpg

Peter Goodey
07-08-2015, 3:28 PM
Looks to me like railway station architecture in the background.

smj7290
07-08-2015, 4:23 PM
On another website, we've eliminated Welwyn Garden City Station (in a different place to where it is now). It looks like the railway station, but from pictures I've seen of it I've ruled that one out.

Also, any ideas on when it was taken? This would help in maybe pinpointing where it was taken.

richard40
08-08-2015, 6:42 AM
On another website, we've eliminated Welwyn Garden City Station (in a different place to where it is now). It looks like the railway station, but from pictures I've seen of it I've ruled that one out.

Also, any ideas on when it was taken? This would help in maybe pinpointing where it was taken.

Google our welwyn garden city. contacts; [email protected] they may be able to help as they are local historians. I am familiar with the area, but do not recognise the whereabouts of the photo.

richard40
08-08-2015, 6:51 AM
don't remember railings near the Peartree stores, but could possibly be near the school, sadly the railings I cannot place, friends and relatives, long term resident's of W.G.C. circa 1945 to present I have shown the photo also cannot recognise the place it was taken. Local historians would be your best approach, maybe the archives contain a similar photo.

margarita
08-08-2015, 7:33 AM
Do you know for certain that the photo was taken in Welwyn Garden City?

The station in the background looks a fairly common type.

smj7290
08-08-2015, 7:55 AM
It was DEFINITELY in the Garden City - this couple never travelled outside of WGC and always lived in Welwyn Garden City.

Although I'm from Birmingham, my stepfather is from WGC (hence my research) and am fairly familiar with the town. To be fair, I don't recall railings at Peartree but mind you, it could be Woodhall Stores.

Any more ideas welcome :)

markpaul
08-08-2015, 10:31 AM
Did they never go on day trips to the seaside - Clacton? Southend?
Might be a lead.

richard40
08-08-2015, 3:25 PM
W.G.City did not have a station until 1920, they had a halt in an entirely different place to today's station. it was on a section of line long ago closed. I personally cannot remember railings of this type in the area as I Previously indicated, TRY THE LOCAL HISTORIANS.

smj7290
08-08-2015, 3:35 PM
markpaul, they never left the Garden City. They couldn't afford day trips - he was the only boilermaker in the town as far as we know and she worked 7 days a week at the Cottage Hospital. I lived in WGC (mid 80s) from Birmingham before moving to Holborn, plus we regularly commuted there.

richard40, I'm aware that the Garden City station as it is today isn't what it used to be. I remember the old one, so I took this into account before writing the initial post for this thread.

I've asked Doreen's son (Doreen is the couple above's daughter who is believed to have taken this picture) where he thought this was taken, and like me thought Woodhall Stores.
Any more ideas?

richard40
08-08-2015, 3:48 PM
we will be there in a couple of weeks time, I will look around. the only place I can think of around Woodhall that may have railings like that would be Our Lady School, Woodhall Lane.

markpaul
08-08-2015, 4:00 PM
markpaul, they never left the Garden City. They couldn't afford day trips - he was the only boilermaker in the town as far as we know and she worked 7 days a week at the Cottage Hospital. I lived in WGC (mid 80s) from Birmingham before moving to Holborn, plus we regularly commuted there. ... .
Any more ideas?

Not wishing to push the point .... but .... you didn't need to have money to visit the seaside. Were they members of a club? A church, perhaps. Of course, if they worked all hours they might find it difficult to get away even for a day. Did they have a large family?

smj7290
08-08-2015, 4:33 PM
Richard, I'm moving to Welwyn Garden City so I will have a better look. I managed to find a new job as a History teacher, so all looks good for my future :)

I remember Woodhall has railings by the bins in the car park, but it can't be that since there's shops in the background. Woodhall shops were must more compact than the shops in the picture, so quite doubtful now.

They had 8 children in total, 7 survived. I know the gentleman in the picture belonged to the Buffaloes (RAOB) which gave him a big funeral when he died in April 1958, but still all the family are on the understanding they NEVER left WGC. The woman in the picture used to be the local midwife out of hours, so must be remembered by many. As far as I know, they belonged to the RNA (the man was in the Royal Navy for many years) but no social clubs or the churches of the town.