PDA

View Full Version : Will dated 1778

Megan Roberts
02-08-2015, 1:59 PM
I have a 4 page pdf document for a Will written in 1778. I have been transcribing and have reached a point where I would like some help.

Would anyone have the time to look at the original and my draft transcription and add / comment on it?

I don't think that I can load the files here so I would have to PM them.

Thanks for any help.

Megan

smj7290
02-08-2015, 2:12 PM
I'll be happy to try and transcribe it. I do for a living anyway, so it's no different. PM it to me :)

Megan Roberts
03-08-2015, 10:25 AM
smj7290 - I have sent you a PM if you don't get it let me know.

Megan

Peter Goodey
03-08-2015, 10:55 AM
If you pop the document onto Google Drive (or anything similar) and change the sharing permissions you can make it available to all of us.

Megan Roberts
03-08-2015, 11:27 AM
Peter,

I just love your "pop the document" .................. So I have just spent a few minutes trying to work out how to do so, and hopefully I have done so.

Thanks

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-McFXf2FbO3bWRab1JpamZheUE/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-McFXf2FbO3bjFmOW9KV0pJd2M/view?usp=sharing

So there are two files.

1. is a PDF of the original will and probate from the National Records Office,
2. is my draft transcript in Word. Words in red are my guesses, and [......................] mean I have not even a guess.

In the word document you will see line numbers and those correspond with the numbers written in LH margin of the PDF document.

What I am not certain about is whether or not I have selected the correct settings to permit on line collaboration.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Megan

Peter Goodey
03-08-2015, 12:34 PM
Yipee! Well done. There it for all to see!

I just wish I wasn't rubbish at reading old documents :(

pwholt
03-08-2015, 7:46 PM
One small point, I think there is one daughter named Mary Anne, and not two. The other is Rebecca Margaretta. pwholt

Megan Roberts
03-08-2015, 8:10 PM
No there are two. I have other records (baptisms, burials etc) which prove that. It's one of the slighty odd things about this lot that they 2 daughters with fancy names and 2 with very simple names.