PDA

View Full Version : Charles James Bond b 1898ish

Jessie 888
01-08-2015, 10:52 AM
I'm stumped about where to go next!
Charles James Bond, known as James, was the adopted brother of my granny, Mary Ann Bond. He is in the 1901 Census, aged 3, living with his sister, aged 13, and my great-grandparents Henry and Jane Bond in South View, Crownhill, Devon. His place of birth is given as Scarborough. In the 1911 Census, he is in the same place with the same couple but his place of birth is now recorded as Dublin, Ireland. Sadly he died in 1915 from tubercular meningitis and his death notice (in our family bible) states he was a 'dearly-loved adopted son'. I've tried all the commercial sites I can but I don't know how to find out his original name and how Henry and Jane came to adopt him?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Megan Roberts
01-08-2015, 11:17 AM
I am sure you know that there was no legal framework for adoption prior to 1926. Before then they were usually quite informal and often between family or friends. However, I do know that there were some that were done by solicitors where the mother basically signed up to handing her child over.

It was probably fairly unusual for a child to be adopted by non family so far away from he was born - either Scarborough or Dublin.

Were you family in any religious? Could the adoption have been arranged by a religious organisation, and if so do any records exist there?

Unfortunately unless you can find any family papers I think that it is unlikely that you will be able to track down his birth family.

Jessie 888
01-08-2015, 1:44 PM
Many thanks for that, Megan.

I'm not sure if they were religious or not. I wish I knew! All I know about my great-grandfather, Henry Bond, was that he was born on the Isle of Wight but his birth wasn't registered. (When he married, he gave his father's name as David Bond, a tailor, but there's no record of him either so I can't trace any other siblings. Grrr.) Henry's nowhere to be seen until he pops up in the 1891 Census working as a prison warder on the Isle of Wight, then he moved to Dartmoor Prison but after he was stabbed by a prisoner, he retired and became a shoemaker so I can place him in the 1901/1911 Censuses. He signed an evidence of age form as a discharged soldier so I wondered if he had somehow adopted Charles James from someone in his regiment but I don't know what that was either. I'm bricked in by several walls! I just can't understand why there would be two such different birth places given.

Lesley Robertson
01-08-2015, 2:13 PM
Was the sister also adopted?
Do you have that evidence of age form? Does it give his rank and number?

Some people apparently preferred to make up an answer to an official question than admit that they don't know or can't remember the answer....

Jessie 888
01-08-2015, 2:22 PM
No, Lesley, my granny wasn't adopted. Her mother, Jane Bond (nee Williams) married quite late in life so she probably couldn't have any more children apart from my granny a year after she married.

I have Henry's evidence of age form from FMP but it just says that he was a discharged soldier living in Portsmouth.

As to your suggestion about making up an answer ... maybe that's why I can't track down Henry's father, David Bond (a tailor) because he was a figment of his imagination!

Wilkes_ml
01-08-2015, 3:58 PM
The only other thing that may help is if his adoptive parents had him baptised in their local church. If you can find an entry, it may give his date of birth and birth parents, but that is very unlikely.

I was very fortunate to find my great great grans adoptive sister's baptism, and it gave her parent's names...however, her baptism & birth certificate parental details were not consistent, and I still have never been able to trace her real parents. I think the majority of pre-1927 adoptions are almost impossible to trace if they are not related.

Edited to add that some adoptions went through Barnardos from 1845, so may be worth looking into them just in case.

Jessie 888
01-08-2015, 4:54 PM
Many thanks. I've tried every local baptism register but no joy.

I may have to concede defeat ... but not before I've checked out the Barnardos possibility!

Lesley Robertson
01-08-2015, 6:46 PM
What does his death certificate say? I see that you quote your family bible for his death - it would be interesting to know what the adoptive parents said when faced by official questions from a registrar. I assume that he's the Charles J Bond aged 17, registered in Plympton?

almach
02-08-2015, 12:36 AM
maybe that's why I can't track down Henry's father, David Bond (a tailor) because he was a figment of his imagination!

Hmm! Odd that Henry doesn't seem to appear on census returns before 1891, not with a father David anyway. I cannot find a Henry Bond born circa 1848 in Isle of Wight.

I notice Henry married in Wales, was he working there? What details are on his marriage cert, e.g. occupation, witnesses, address.

Jessie 888
02-08-2015, 6:34 AM
Lesley, you got the right record! On his death certificate it says Charles James Bond, aged 17 years, apprentice to chairmaking; died of tubercular meningitis 14 days and exhaustion; registered by Jane Bond, mother, present at the death; 7 South View, Crownhill, St Budeaux.

I don’t know if you can make out the death notice they’d stuck in at the top of their bible, but it says ‘dearly-loved adopted son of Jane and the late Henry Bond’.

https://www.british-genealogy.com/extensions/uploads/de63e2b2-0b0a-4375-883c-8a7d8656f77e.jpg

Jessie 888
02-08-2015, 6:44 AM
Almach, his birth wasnít registered on the Isle of Wight so he had to fill in a Civil Service evidence of age declaration, stating that heíd tried everything to track down his birth but couldnít find it. He swore it was on 22 Sept 1848 at Ryde/Sandown on the Isle of Wight. Iíll try posting the image in case Iíve missed something helpful! I still canít read his address Ö maybe Union Street?

His wife was Welsh and on their marriage certificate it said he was a bachelor, aged 40, working as a prison warder in Parkhurst on the Isle of Wight; father was David Bond, a tailor. The witnesses were James and Dinah Williams. (I canít find any trace of Henryís father David!) Jane Williams, aged 41, lived in Llwyncelyn; father was Titus Williams, a cooper. (Titus was baptised in the non-conformist Rock Chapel in Trelech but I donít think the rest of his family was religious.)

https://www.british-genealogy.com/extensions/uploads/8e9fcbe3-a234-44cd-9b6c-5ee400b4b1c6.jpg

smj7290
02-08-2015, 2:09 PM
I'm an archivist, and to be quite honest I haven't heard of any religious organizations that have organized adoptions. Adoption became legal in UK in 1926, but adoption was in circulation by this time.

Generally, before adoption became legalised, a child would be handed over to family, friends or relatives. A mother could use a solicitor (which cost a lot) to sign over her child to somebody else. Social Services never existed then, so it was the only choice.

Like Megan, I think it was fairly unusual for a child to be adopted by others who aren't related so far from his birthplace (whichever one it was). I think the child was placed in the care of relatives, who moved to Dublin from Scarborough when he was young. This happened with many when they just told the enumerator where they'd been raised. It may be he was given to another family who were moving to Dublin. At this point, we can only speculate.

The parish records would hold the answers if he was baptized. I would think Dublin has/had many churches or chapels so it might take a long time to find him amongst their registers. Scarborough has one main parish church, so it'll be a lot easier.

Another theory that has come to mind is that he was born illegitimate. Illegitimacy was stigmatized, so generally the child wasn't kept by the birth mother/father or their families because of the stigma so they were given up for adoption (in later years) but in the times we're discussing they went to relatives or friends.

Jessie 888
02-08-2015, 5:37 PM
Thank you smj!

I agree with everything you say and I'll look again at the Scarborough parish church. The problem is his surname wasn't Bond then, presumably, so I'm looking for any old Charles James.

grisel
03-08-2015, 9:30 AM
Hello jessie

You may have already checked this out - two CharlesJames births in Scarborough - CJ Kappey 1898 and CJ Wilson 1898. Possibly worth checking even if to eliminate . C J Kappey seems to disappear however and there are some Kappey links to the I o W / Portsmouth area in BMD lists. So may be of interest. But could be red herring.

Haven't looked at CJ Wilson .

Jessie 888
03-08-2015, 10:36 AM
You may have already checked this out - two CharlesJames births in Scarborough - CJ Kappey 1898 and CJ Wilson 1898. Possibly worth checking even if to eliminate . C J Kappey seems to disappear however and there are some Kappey links to the I o W / Portsmouth area in BMD lists. So may be of interest. But could be red herring.

Thank you for taking the time. I did check out these two and ruled out Charles James Wilson because I'm pretty sure he died in 1899 as an infant.

I keep coming back to Charles James H. Kappey, though! I found a possible older sister, Lilian Joan Kappey born 1901 in Portsmouth, Hampshire ... which sounds hopeful. There were also a lot of Kappeys emigrating. I'll keep trying!

grisel
03-08-2015, 12:03 PM
:frown5:

I keep coming back to Charles James H. Kappey, though! I found a possible older sister, Lilian Joan Kappey born 1901 in Portsmouth, Hampshire ... which sounds hopeful. There were also a lot of Kappeys emigrating. I'll keep trying!

It looks as though Lilian's mother Florence is in Norwich in 1901 with her parents and 3 year old son Reginald who was born in India. Unfortunately I think this makes it unlikely for her to have been in Scarborough in 1898 giving birth to Charles James.:frown5:

Jessie 888
03-08-2015, 12:12 PM
Oh darn it, Grisel! Thanks for the info ... I won't waste more time going down that dead-end. The Kappey name may still be a lead though. I reckon the secret to it all is somewhere in the lost years of my great-grandfather, Henry Bond, when he was a soldier somewhere!

grisel
03-08-2015, 1:07 PM
Oh darn it, Grisel! Thanks for the info ... I won't waste more time going down that dead-end. The Kappey name may still be a lead though. I reckon the secret to it all is somewhere in the lost years of my great-grandfather, Henry Bond, when he was a soldier somewhere!

I agree the Kappey link is intriguing. And Charles James Kappey b Scarborough must have gone somewhere. I suppose the name may have been mistranscribed though.

It's a pity you can't get the certificate to eliminate him without spending money!

Jessie 888
03-08-2015, 1:18 PM
I agree the Kappey link is intriguing. And Charles James Kappey b Scarborough must have gone somewhere. I suppose the name may have been mistranscribed though.

It's a pity you can't get the certificate to eliminate him without spending money!

I shall do another Kappey hunt ... and keep notes this time because I seem to go round in circles thinking that document is familiar!

I'll wait for another six months before I give in and order that certificate. I think I've resigned myself to wasting money with this now. When I started two years ago, I foolishly thought I'd have my tree all done and dusted in a year tops. Ha ha. I started off with half hour stints on Ancestry in the public library ... until I realised it would be a lifelong obsession and started buying certificates and joining the commercial sites. Much poorer but loving it!

thewideeyedowl
03-08-2015, 2:04 PM
Hi Jessie...a very warm welcome from another member who is 'now much poorer but loving it', as you so succinctly put it!

Have been keeping an eye on this thread and searched a bit in the background - the Isle of Wight Family History Society (which has a lot of freely-available data) yielded nothing. Took a look at the online catalogues of the East Yorkshire and North Yorkshire Archives, but again - nothing.

Then I finally thought to enter 'Kappey' in the Discovery search box at The National Archives (TNA), limiting it to 1800-1899 produced ten results: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=%28Kappey%29. Now what I found interesting were those that mentioned Frederick George KAPPEY. As you will see, he was promoted Brevet Lieutenant Colonel in the Royal Marines in 1878 - which might explain some sort of military connection with your Henry Bond (if we could find out what he was doing and where...); but of greater interest is the Divorce Petition of 1897. Frederick George Kappey petitioned to divorce his wife Mary Caroline Kappey, and cited a co-respondent in the case. I do not know where in the country this was. But if Mary Caroline had a child in 1898....well, she may not have been sure who the father was and may not have wanted to keep him (if it was in fact a boy). That would give a motive for an 'adoption'. And supposing Henry Bond and his wife took on the child???????

I also noted that there was a record of a Kappey (not FGK) seeking naturalisation - he was German. So that might indicate that the name came originally from Germany.

Happy hunting! And sorry if these suggestions lead us all on a wild goose chase.

Owl

Jessie 888
03-08-2015, 2:14 PM
Owl ... that is so exciting! I've been trying to track down any new lead all year and banging my head on the wall. Any change of direction is so welcome!! I saw that German Kappey record at one point, too.

The divorce sounds highly likely ... and I'm determined to get to the bottom of Henry's soldier years. (Unfortunately, Henry Bond was a common name in all the services so I've got a file full of possibilities!)

Thank you so much for your trouble ... I really appreciate it ... the new info has made me ridiculously happy! I didn't think about the TNA search ... every day is a school day!

almach
03-08-2015, 2:53 PM
Kappey divorce petition is on Ancestry, makes interesting reading.

'U.K., Civil Divorce Records, 1858-1914'

Jessie 888
03-08-2015, 3:11 PM
Owl and Almach, I've just had a very happy hour printing out the divorce petition. Yes it was adultery and she gave birth to twins!

Also, in one of the census leads, a fellow soldier of Kappey's (same age/rank/barracks) came from Plympton where my Henry settled so lots of possible links.

I've just had a phone call from a friend and I was trying to explain why I was so happy but it's hard to understand if you haven't caught the genealogy bug yourself!

almach
03-08-2015, 3:21 PM
Owl and Almach, I've just had a very happy hour printing out the divorce petition. Yes it was adultery and she gave birth to twins!

Also, in one of the census leads, a fellow soldier of Kappey's (same age/rank/barracks) came from Plympton where my Henry settled so lots of possible links.

I've just had a phone call from a friend and I was trying to explain why I was so happy but it's hard to understand if you haven't caught the genealogy bug yourself!

If Charles James is Caroline's his twin must have died at birth as there's only one birth registered in Scarborough. The two children born within the marriage are easily found in 1901, as is Cecil in 1911, as yet I've not found Stella in 1911..........and.........I wonder what happened to Mary Caroline, I've found her with her family on an early census and her father was Lieutenant General.

Jessie 888
03-08-2015, 3:26 PM
It looks like Frederick was living in Paddington in the 1911 Census, a widower, aged 49, and on a pension.

I'm off to do a Barclay Brook Head search now, the cad!

grisel
03-08-2015, 3:28 PM
To add to the mix.... SP have a birth of a Katherin Kappey b1896 Edinburgh

A Barclay Brook Head b 1873 died Glasgow 1901

almach
03-08-2015, 3:35 PM
It seems Mary Caroline's 'intimate friend' died in 1901, so she can't be with him in 1911.

Head, Barclay Brook, b. 13 May, 1873. (Gownboys) Left L.Q., 1890. Trin. Coll., Camb.-H.M. Customs Service.
Died at Glasgow, 9 June, 1901

almach
03-08-2015, 3:48 PM
Southampton Kelly's Directory 1913 - 1914.

Royal Navy and Marine Recruiting Office, 48, Bridge Road, Lieut - Col. F G Kappey R.M.A. & Color-Sergt. W. Bentall in charge; 30, Romsey Rd, Shirley, Walter Bentall, recruiting officer.

almach
03-08-2015, 4:00 PM
Death Reg.

Frederick G Kappey, Lymington, Hampshire, 1919, Quarter: 3, Age: 57, Volume: 2b, Page: 0652

Jessie 888
03-08-2015, 4:23 PM
You're all too fast for me! By the time I've found something and written it down to report back, you've already got it.

His old Charterhouse School records say that he died on 9 June 1901 in Glasgow. By coincidence, there is a Barclay Brook Head that died on the same date in Northern Ireland? What the heck!

Maybe the 'new couple' tried to make a go of it but, when he died in 1901, she couldn't cope and then had Charles James adopted.

grisel
03-08-2015, 4:32 PM
To add to the mix.... SP have a birth of a Katherin Kappey b1896 Edinburgh

Ah , this is Stella Katherin Kappey. Is that one of the children of the marriage?

grisel
03-08-2015, 4:48 PM
His old Charterhouse School records say that he died on 9 June 1901 in Glasgow. By coincidence, there is a Barclay Brook Head that died on the same date in Northern Ireland? d.

I think it is the same man. The Irish will calendar images are on family search. Although born England , he lived in co Down at one time.

He also seems tohave a memorial window in a church in Southsea.

grisel
03-08-2015, 5:23 PM
He also seems tohave a memorial window in a church in Southsea.

Sorry, I meant to write Seaford.

Jessie 888
03-08-2015, 6:29 PM
Ah , this is Stella Katherin Kappey. Is that one of the children of the marriage?

Yes, the two original children (that had to stay with their father) were Cecil Frederick and Stella Katherine Mary Kappey. In 1901, they were at a boarding school, then I think Cecil emigrated to Canada in 1918, and Stella married Joseph Cuthbert Akester in 1920. The new chap, Barclay Brook Head, now a medical student, died in Glasgow in 1901 of pneumonia/heart attack.

I still can't find what became of Mary Caroline F Kappey (nee Bayly) but that will have to wait for another day! Thank you all.

almach
03-08-2015, 6:42 PM
I still can't find what became of Mary Caroline F Kappey (nee Bayly)

Me neither, she could have 'hooked up' with another chap and be using his name, or perhaps she emigrated! I'll keep looking.

I am though puzzled by F. G. Kappey stating twins were born, surely there should be a registration for both children?

Jessie 888
03-08-2015, 6:49 PM
Me neither, she could have 'hooked up' with another chap and be using his name, or perhaps she emigrated! I'll keep looking.

I am though puzzled by F. G. Kappey stating twins were born, surely there should be a registration for both children?

I've just looked up that memorial window, grisel. How sad that the father died at 28 and his son at 17. You can't help wondering at the humanity behind the facts/dates. Like wondering if they stayed together or it was just an affair that burnt out as quickly as it started, etc.

I can't understand the twin mystery either. Just when you think you're getting somewhere with one puzzle, another one pops up!

Jessie 888
03-08-2015, 8:54 PM
Just to finish off this thread, I found a good article in the Lloyd's Weekly 31 July 1898 linking Mary Caroline Faunce Bayly to Scarborough so I'm going to treat myself and order that birth certificate. It may not answer my adoption query but I want to know the end of the story!

Thanks to all of you for the helpful advice.

thewideeyedowl
03-08-2015, 9:17 PM
Wow - I've come back to a soap opera! Marvellous that the Kappey link has been the key to understanding this mystery wrapped in an enigma. Have only just dropped by again. You have probably got all this, but just in case:

Birth: BAYLY, Mary Caroline F 1872 Q4/Bath/Vol 5c p666
Marriage: KAPPEY/BAYLY: 1892 Q3/Medway/Vol2a p1020

Frederick George KAPPEY is at a barracks in Kent in the 1891 census, RG12 Pce 739 Folio 160 p1. (Mistranscribed, on FMP, as 'Kuppey'.) He is single, a captain in the Royal Marine Artillery, aged 29 and born in Kent. (That suggests a birth date in 1862.) Haven't been able to find Mary Caroline in the census, but haven't looked very hard.

So it looks as if Frederick was about 10 years older than Mary Caroline F. The age gap might have contributed to the troubles in the marriage.

You say that Jane BOND nee WILLIAMS was the adoptive mother of Charles James BOND ne Kappey, so I was wondering whether in fact she might have been the one with the link to the Kappey family (or maybe even to the Bayly family). Might she have been working for them, possibly as a servant? Perhaps she effectively looked after baby Charles, because mum was 'playing away'? And then when she got married, the baby came too????????? Great pity that the surname's WILLIAMS...... But it might be worth trying to trace Jane in the 1881,1891 and 1901 censuses, to establish her circumstances. Anything, anything at all, that might give a clue as to what happened and why.

This is turning into a truly engrossing thread, but I've got to swoop off now.

Looking forward to checking it out again in the morning.

Owl

grisel
04-08-2015, 8:30 AM
Just to finish off this thread, I found a good article in the Lloyd's Weekly 31 July 1898 linking Mary Caroline Faunce Bayly to Scarborough so I'm going to treat myself and order that birth certificate. It may not answer my adoption query but I want to know the end of the story!

Thanks to all of you for the helpful advice.

Have just had a look at the article. Certainly makes the Scarborough birth a possibility!

I know Mary Caroline's later wherabouts are not really the point of this thread - but two thoughts come to mind. Would she have been mentioned in her father's will? Abingdon Augustus Bayly d Switzerland 1900.
And could she have been the informant on Barclay Head's death cert?

grisel
04-08-2015, 8:32 AM
Wow - I've come back to a soap opera! Marvellous that the Kappey link has been the key to understanding this mystery wrapped in an enigma. Have only just dropped by again. You have probably got all this, but just in case:

Birth: BAYLY, Mary Caroline F 1872 Q4/Bath/Vol 5c p666
Marriage: KAPPEY/BAYLY: 1892 Q3/Medway/Vol2a p1020

Frederick George KAPPEY is at a barracks in Kent in the 1891 census, RG12 Pce 739 Folio 160 p1. (Mistranscribed, on FMP, as 'Kuppey'.) He is single, a captain in the Royal Marine Artillery, aged 29 and born in Kent. (That suggests a birth date in 1862.) Haven't been able to find Mary Caroline in the census, but haven't looked very hard.

So it looks as if Frederick was about 10 years older than Mary Caroline F. The age gap might have contributed to the troubles in the marriage.

You say that Jane BOND nee WILLIAMS was the adoptive mother of Charles James BOND ne Kappey, so I was wondering whether in fact she might have been the one with the link to the Kappey family (or maybe even to the Bayly family). Might she have been working for them, possibly as a servant? Perhaps she effectively looked after baby Charles, because mum was 'playing away'? And then when she got married, the baby came too????????? Great pity that the surname's WILLIAMS...... But it might be worth trying to trace Jane in the 1881,1891 and 1901 censuses, to establish her circumstances. Anything, anything at all, that might give a clue as to what happened and why.

This is turning into a truly engrossing thread, but I've got to swoop off now.

Looking forward to checking it out again in the morning.

Owl

Yes it is engrossing! And good thought -Jane williams/bond could well be the link.

grisel
04-08-2015, 12:43 PM
This is a little tenuous - but thinking that Barclay's family might feel responsible for the baby -

In 1871 Barclay's father, John Joshua Head was customs officer in Cardigan.
In 1881 he was in Totnes. Household included 17 year old Barclay and a servant Jane Williams b 1846 Mawrdeili, Pembrokeshire. About the same age as the Jane who married Henry?

May be worth checking further?

Jessie 888
04-08-2015, 12:44 PM
Have just had a look at the article. Certainly makes the Scarborough birth a possibility!

I know Mary Caroline's later wherabouts are not really the point of this thread - but two thoughts come to mind. Would she have been mentioned in her father's will? Abingdon Augustus Bayly d Switzerland 1900.
And could she have been the informant on Barclay Head's death cert?

Grisel, I 'bought' the death record for Barclay on SP but she wasn't the informant. I suppose with her father dying in 1900 and Barclay in 1901, she may have had to get Charles James adopted because she had no other support. I checked out the rest of her siblings but they all seem to be in other countries at the time. I can't find any trace of her so I reckon she probably emigrated. I'll try to find a way of tracking down the will. (I have Abingdon dying in Surrey in 1900.)

Jessie 888
04-08-2015, 12:46 PM
This is a little tenuous - but thinking that Barclay's family might feel responsible for the baby -

In 1881 he was in Totnes. Household included 17 year old Barclay and a servant Jane Williams b 1846 Mawrdeili, Pembrokeshire. About the same age as the Jane who married Henry?

Grisel, that's a brilliant find! I've got all the census records for Jane but the 1881 one never felt right. She was born in Manordivy, Pembrokeshire which has about ten different spellings in the records. So excited!!

Jessie 888
04-08-2015, 12:54 PM

I've just checked Jane's 1871 census again and she was working in Cardigan as a servant nurse, living with the schoolmaster and his young family. I can't thank you enough!

grisel
04-08-2015, 1:08 PM
Well, Owl's earlier idea set me off on that track. All looking possible - though probably impossible to actually prove!

Please do let us know what the birth cert says when it arrives.

almach
04-08-2015, 1:21 PM
A wonderful find, Grisel.

It does all seem to be coming together now, Jessie, doesn't it?

Too many occurrences for all to be considered coincidental.

The other twin is still puzzling though..........perhaps a stillbirth as I don't think (not certain) stillbirths were registered until the 1920's.

thewideeyedowl
04-08-2015, 3:27 PM
Hi Jessie and All Fellow Researchers...

Have just read the next instalment of the soap opera and, unfortunately, cannot add to it :sad: in a way that will progress this enthralling thread. Instead, I have tried to check out what a 'servant nurse' might have done in the late 19th century. And though I have not been able to find a definition, I have found an article - on The Victorian Web - about the different grades of servant in a household and the order in which they would have been taken on; plus, there is some indication of what the employer's salary would have been: http://www.victorianweb.org/history/work/burnett5.html.

From my reading of that, it looks to me as if Jane would have been perhaps the second or third servant to have been taken on by her employer - she would have had both general domestic servant duties plus some role in looking after the young children of the household. So if you check back to the census entry, would that make sense? Are there young children in the household? (And if there are none - well, back to Square One. She could, I suppose, have been the 'servant nurse' for an elderly person.) Anyway, my theory is that Jane was absolutely brilliant with children, particularly with those that were very young.

The family Bible says that (Charles) James was the "dearly-loved adopted son" - this is why I think he was perhaps cared for and brought up by Jane from the word go? To all intents and purposes, she was his mother. And so Jane and her husband Henry must have been so heartbroken when he died at the age of 17 - he was 'their' son.

Looking forward to the next instalment but have got to swoop off now.

Owl

christanel
04-08-2015, 9:54 PM
Hello to all our brilliant researchers.

This thread is absolutely fascinating, with its twists and turns, so I just wanted to congratulate you all on the fantastic job you have done researching the origins of Charles James Bond.
It is bookmarked as an example of the brilliant (twisted!) brainpower of our Brit-Gen members. :biggrin:

Thank you all again.

Christina

Jessie 888
05-08-2015, 7:42 AM
Hello to all our brilliant researchers.

This thread is absolutely fascinating, with its twists and turns, so I just wanted to congratulate you all on the fantastic job you have done researching the origins of Charles James Bond.
It is bookmarked as an example of the brilliant (twisted!) brainpower of our Brit-Gen members. :biggrin:

Thank you all again.

Christina

Too true, Christina. They're like an ace-team of detectives on the case. Not only has it solved my brick-wall enquiry into the adoption of Charles James, I've found out more about my great-grandmother, Jane, and feel very proud of her!

Jessie 888
05-08-2015, 8:09 AM
Owl, thank you for the information about Victorian servants. I’ve printed it out for future reference as so many of my family were ‘below stairs’!

And thanks to Grisel’s brilliant finds (amongst others), it all fits in perfectly now:
My great-grandmother, Jane Williams, was the third of nine children so would have started with a lot of childcare duties, I guess. Her father died when she was 17/18 and she went to work as the only servant in a pub (Drovers Arms, Cardigan 1861 Census). In the next census, she’d gone up a peg and worked as a servant nurse in a schoolmaster’s family with three young children … still in Cardigan where presumably she met up with John Joshua Head working as a Customs Officer there. In the 1881 Census, she is a housemaid domestic servant with two young children in his house: Barbara, aged 11, and Barclay, aged 7. So she must have watched Barclay growing up and would have been devastated when he died at 28 and only too happy to adopt his illegitimate son, Charles James. It may all be conjecture but to me it’s the definite answer! Thank you again to everybody for your time, trouble and brainpower. One day (when I grow up and know more!), I hope I can help others, too.

Jessie 888
10-08-2015, 9:16 AM
Just to 'finish off the case' and thank you all again, the birth certificate arrived this morning. The H in his name did stand for Head!

Registration District: Scarborough.
Born on 15 March 1898 at 6 Cliff Bridge Place, Scarborough.
Charles James Head Kappey.
Mother: Mary Caroline Faunce Kappey formerly Bayly.
No father given.
Informant: Mother, M. C. F. Kappey of 6 Crown Terrace, Scarborough who registered the birth on 25 April 1898.

You were probably all correct about the twin being stillborn (or a lie/mistake by the angry husband?), but I'm convinced that this is the baby who later became Charles James Bond, based on the same birth year, place of birth given in the 1901 Census, his 'adopted' status which was confirmed in his death notice, and my great-grandmother being a caring servant in the Barclay Brook Head household. I'll never know about the other twin or why my great-grandparents changed his place of birth to Dublin in the 1911 Census but I love it when the jigsaw fits together.

Many, many thanks to you all!

grisel
10-08-2015, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the update. It has been so interesting - glad you have a happy ending! :smile5:

grisel