PDA

View Full Version : Surnames on marriage certificates

PamG
16-09-2005, 4:12 PM
If a woman is widowed and remarries, is her surname on the second marriage certificate her maiden name or the surname of her previous marriage?

I had always assumed that it was the maiden name, but now I'm starting to wonder. Is it possible, even legal that a former married name is sometimes used?

Pam

Guy Etchells
16-09-2005, 4:22 PM
Not only legal but should be shown, the names on the marriage cert should be legal name (i.e. the name being used at the time of marriage) and in addition any and all previous names.
Cheers
Guy

Chasing Caseys
16-09-2005, 4:51 PM
My gt grandmother was a widow when she married for the second time and on that it just gives her previous married name not her maiden name but you would get her maiden name from the fathers name or both parents names as on Scottish certificates.

PamG
16-09-2005, 8:56 PM
I do actually know the maiden name, and the name of her first husband. I just can't find her second marriage certificate, but I had been looking under her maiden name. I'll try again, this time under her first married name.

Thanks for your help!

Pam

BeeE586
17-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Just to confuse the issue further ......

My 2 gr grandmother remarried as a widow, and gave her father's name. It was only about five years later and after spending many hours studying registers in Sheffield Archives that I realized he was not her father at all, but her step-father, her mother having also remarried. What can you believe ?

Eileen