PDA

View Full Version : New convict records online

usernick
30-06-2015, 1:02 PM
Okay, I felt I had to mention this as I had absolutely no idea that these records ever existed...

Findmypast (and, presumably available on other Brightsolid sites?) have uploaded a host of previously unseen (online) convict records, including records from the following series:

PCOM2
HO8
HO13
HO18
HO19
HO24
HO77
MEP06

Of particular interest to me (in finding my Great Great Great Uncle's records), are from the HO18 series which includes letters from members of the family asking for pardons (in my case, these were ignored). In the case of Frederick King (who was transported to Van Diemens Land/Tasmania) in 1850, there are two letters - one from his sister, Maria, and another from a previous emplyer, William Goff from Pulham (a tailor).

Fascinating stuff, and if I'd known a couple of years ago, I might have ventured down to the National Archives to look at them myself. In fact, I did travel down to the National Archives, but didn't know that he would be mentioned in the above records?

Anyway, for a convict transported to Australia (at least), you'll likely find a number of "hits" on your relative - multiple PCOM2 entries (including details of the offences caused, parents names, where convicted, and which ship/hulk he is residing at that particular date), as well as records within the series described above.

I felt I had to let people know - I have no connection with Findmypast, btw - just a susbcriber.

Cheers,

Nick

Peter Goodey
01-07-2015, 8:28 AM
The National Archives guide to Criminals and Convicts (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/criminals-and-convicts/) includes pointers to various sources including online versions at Ancestry and FMP.

For better or worse, TNA have rejigged their online research guides.