PDA

View Full Version : Who was J.A.Game Esq. ?

Wirral
15-09-2005, 10:36 PM
|banghead| Here's a challenge to you all. Who was J. A. Game Esq.? My father died 2 months ago & going through his books today we found a beautifully-tooled, leather-bound book, "Duty" by Samuel Smiles, published 1886 (not a lot of laughs in it! :rolleyes: ). In the front there is a very fancy embossed dedication - "Presented to Mr J. Robertson in remembrance of his faithful services by J.A.Game Esq. London April 1886."

J.Robertson is probably my g,grandfather, John Robertson, born 1838 in Moulin, Perthshire. As far as we know he was a painter & decorator all his life. We know of nothing to connect him to London or the name "Game". In 1888 John Robertson emigrated to Waterbury, Connecticut, USA, joined in 1896 by a son & daughter. He died in the USA.

I've searched the 1871-1891 censuses for London, but none of the J. Games fit. Most are labourers or tradespeople. I've looked on Historicaldirectories, but no joy.
Anybody got any suggestions? :confused:

Geoffers
16-09-2005, 12:08 AM
Maybe J. A. Game was landed in the country and just kept a London address for 'going up to town'? If this is a possibility; you might try a street directory for the period instead.

Is it definitely 'J A Game' and not 'I A Game'?

Geoffers

Wirral
16-09-2005, 12:18 AM
Definitely J.A.Game. Unfortunately, Googling on "Game" and "Perthshire" just brings up a load of stuff about grouse & the like. :rolleyes:

Geoffers
16-09-2005, 12:23 AM
Definitely J.A.Game. Unfortunately, Googling on "Game" and "Perthshire" just brings up a load of stuff about grouse & the like. :rolleyes:
I think it's down to checking directories to see if he's there; then possibly any electoral rolls to see if a country address is also recorded. From there, you might find him on a census. A long searc, but ont eh plus side, you might find an address where your chap worked.

Good luck

Geoffers