PDA

View Full Version : Who is Alfred Asseau??

Alva
15-09-2005, 12:29 AM
Hi there:
I have just received my great aunt's marriage certificate. She was Lauretta Marjorie Mallett, married Sept. 7, 1907 to an Alfred Benjamin Asseau, occupation chef. Have not been able to find anything for him in the 1881 or 1901 census. There is nothing in the IGI. At the time of their marriage he was living at 26 Frick Street, Lambeth. The last name sounds either French or Belgian. I have found that they had a daughter in 1908 through the BMD but can find no further information on this couple. I know that Lauretta passed away in the early 1960s. Any suggestions on how to track down this family? Hoping the end result might be a living relative to fill in some of the blanks.
Any information much appreciated.
Regards,
Alva in British Columbia

Chasing Caseys
15-09-2005, 12:49 AM
Hi Alva

Where was he on the 1891 census as you dont mention that one ?

Chasing Caseys
15-09-2005, 12:51 AM
Also what is his fathers name on the marriage certificate - you may find him through that

Trish
15-09-2005, 4:57 AM
...Lauretta Marjorie Mallett, married Sept. 7, 1907 to an Alfred Benjamin Asseau... I have found that they had a daughter in 1908 through the BMD but can find no further information on this couple... Alva,

Good suggestion from Tracey. If you have the father's name, it may help narrow down the possibilities. A search for ASSEAUs on all the censuses turns up zilch but maybe Alfred is hiding under a slight mistranscription... Even knowing his father's occupation -- if it's relatively uncommon -- would help in searching the 1881 census.

Have you noticed that, in additon to the daughter, there's also another ASSEAU birth record in 1904 -- 3 years before your Alfred and Lauretta married -- for an Alfred Daniels ASSEAU? Maybe Alfred was married before his 1907 marriage to Lauretta.

Another odd thing -- for each ASSEAU record there is an exact duplicate record under the name ASSEAN [as if the transcriber couldn't decide whether the last letter was a 'u' or an 'n']. However, sadly, there is one extra ASSEAN entry for the death of baby Lauretta.

Just as with ASSEAU there are no ASSEANs listed in the censuses. A bit of a mystery...

Trish

Alva
15-09-2005, 5:12 AM
Hi Tracey:
I don't have access to the 1891 census but since he wasn't on the 1881 thought he might not be in England.
In 1907 he was 23 years old and his father was Alexis Asseau a farmer. Couldn't find the father either. Makes me think that he was in another country . Perhaps the last name was spelled wrong. Will take another look at both census and try different spellings.
Thanks for the response.
Alva

Alva
15-09-2005, 5:41 AM
Hi Trish:
Thanks for your input. I did have another look in the 1881 and 1901 census for Asseau and Assean but again nothing as you said. Checked the BMD for births and marriages back to 1880 as Alfred would have been born in 1884, nothing again. Tried both spellings. It is a mystery. Also looked for any more births until 1920 for Asseau (n), again nothing! I have noticed postings on other boards from people asking about historical directories. Thought with Alfred being a chef that he might be listed. His father was a farmer and perhaps not even in England. Hoping someone with more experience than myself can figure this out.Thanks again.
Alva

Trish
20-09-2005, 11:38 PM
Alva,

You know that they've just got to be there somewhere -- in some country! If they are indeed in the UK, they are probably unfindable because the name has been mangled -- misspelled by an recording clerk, an enumerator, by a transcriber. etc.

You could try searching through the University of Leicester's Historical Directories (http://www.historicaldirectories.org/) site.

Good luck,
Trish

Wirral
21-09-2005, 9:24 AM
Hi Alva
A search on the IGI under "exact spelling" for Asseau brings up just 2 names in Europe, both in Belgium. A possible place to look?