PDA

View Full Version : Family not on any Census

nadine
13-09-2005, 10:05 PM
I'm trying to locate my GGrandmother's family on the 1881 & 1891 Census but having no luck.

The info I have is

Father - Thomas Hill Private 47th Regt Foot (No other details)
Mother - Mary Jane Hill (Formerly Yates B c1843 North America,Canada)
Amy Hill B c1871 Ireland
Sarah Ann Hill B28/01/1874 Fulwood Barracks, Lancashire
Florence Mary Hill B31/05/1883 Farnborough RSD (What does this mean?)
William Thomas Hill B11/02/1886 Farnborough RSD

On the 1901 Census, Sarah is living with her mother in Eynesford, Kent with Florence, William, her son William Adams B1898 and a younger brother:
James Hill B c1893 Battersea, London.

I am also trying to find out if James is definitely Mary's son or possibly Sarah's son in her maiden name. The closest match I found on Free BMD was born Sept Qtr 1892 Wandsworth. However, this is not him as the parents are George & Caroline.

As the family have moved about quite a bit I do not know where else to look for them.

Please point me in the right direction.

Nadine

Geoffers
13-09-2005, 10:24 PM
As he was in the army, he may well have been out of the country at the time of these census returns. The army abroad weren't enumerated by name. I'd suggest your best bet is a trip to The National Archvies (TNA) at Kew to hunt out his service record. Have a browse through their research guides
http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=14
http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=15
http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=23

RSD = Rural Sanitary District

Geoffers

nadine
13-09-2005, 10:40 PM
Thanks Geoffers,

Would I be likely to find anything as the only information I have is his name from the children's birth certificates and regiment on Sarah's birth certificate.
On the birth certificates for Florence and William he is noted as a Labourer. I haven't located the birth certificate for Amy yet.
Also, I cannot find a marriage for Thomas and Mary.

Thanks

Nadine

Peter Goodey
13-09-2005, 11:44 PM
"I haven't located the birth certificate for Amy yet.
Also, I cannot find a marriage for Thomas and Mary."

I take it you have checked the Overseas/Military indexes?

nadine
14-09-2005, 2:01 PM
Hi Peter,

Where would I find these indexes, as I did not know about them.

Thanks

Nadine

Geoffers
14-09-2005, 3:21 PM
Would I be likely to find anything as the only information I have is his name from the children's birth certificates and regiment on Sarah's birth certificate.Oh, not much.......just a service record showing his name, date and place of birth, description, occupation on enlisment, date and place of enlistment, postings, promotions, punishments, possibly details of when and where married, possibly details of birth of children; date and reason for discharge. That sort of stuff.

The overseas and military indices:
1) Indexes to Regimental Registers of Births 1761-1924
2) Index to Army Chaplains Returns of Births; and Marriages; and Deaths 1796-1880

These can be viewed at many Local Studies Libraries/County Record Offices, or online at 1837 online. - a pay-per-view site.

Geoffers

nadine
22-03-2008, 4:47 PM
Well, I know it is quite a while since I was on here but have been away from researching for a while (head got too sore from banging it against this brick wall :) ). I now have a little more info regarding this family.

Thomas HILL married Mary GATES in Nova Scotia, Canada in January 1868.
The marriage entry states Thomas as being born in IRELAND and his age at 28 (so he was born c1840), His parents were William & Bridget.
Mary is from Canada and was 25 on the marriage entry, her parents were William & Sarah.

Amy was born c1871 in Limerick, Ireland so I guess Thomas was stationed in Canada and relocated back to Ireland after his marriage. Amy married Thomas Charles DRINKWATER in 1897 in Farnborough.

Sadly, Sarah ended her days in the Dartford Workhouse, adn I have had some information from them about her.

As per my original query, I am still unable to track the family in the 1881 or 1891 UK Census. I am unable to go any further back on this line until I get some sort of breakthrough (divine intervention would be greatly appreciated).

If anyone can give me some ideas, i'd be very grateful

Thanks

Nadine

Geoffers
22-03-2008, 9:24 PM
As per my original query, I am still unable to track the family in the 1881 or 1891 UK Census.

As per my original reply:

"As he was in the army, he may well have been out of the country at the time of these census returns."

What does his service record show?

If he was in Ireland, the 1881 and 1891 returns were destroyed.

Mutley
22-03-2008, 11:14 PM
I'll chuck this into the pot. It is not quite right but then census are not always exact. They all say born in Kingston, Surrey. Mary is a widowed midwife.
1891 England Census
Name: Sarah Hill
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1874
Relation: Daughter
Mother's Name: Mary
Where born: Kingston, Surrey, England

Civil Parish: Kingston
Ecclesiastical parish: Evan St John
County/Island: Surrey

Household Members: Name Age
Emily Hill 11
Florence Hill 8
Mary Hill 40
Sarah Hill 17
William Hill 5

RG12; Piece: 610; Folio 26; Page 45

nadine
23-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Geoffers
I haven't been able to trace any service records for him (unfortunately, I haven't been able to get to TNA) but I have emailed the regiment HQ to see if they have anything about him and am still waiting for a reply.

Mutley
That looks interesting, Thank you, I will go and check that one out and see if I can backtrack any of them to 1881

Thanks again.

nadine