PDA

View Full Version : Registers of Seamen's Servives 1853-1923

Geoffers
13-09-2005, 9:25 PM
In case anyone with Naval anceestry isn't aware, The National Archives are digitising the record of Seamen's Services 1853-1923. You can download the service record from Documents Online for the usual £3.50 fee. If you don't have easy access to Kew, this may be useful. The project is incomplete at the time of writing; but as it progresses will become a useful resource.

Geoffers

Terry
14-09-2005, 12:21 AM
Hi Geoffers, a very huge thank you from me for posting this- I've just spent £21 downloading my elusive rellies including both my grandfathers and other misc family members. Sadly my maternal grandfathers later WW1 records are not there yet, but no doubt they will be in time.
Once again thanks.

Geoffers
14-09-2005, 8:42 AM
Hi Geoffers, a very huge thank you from me for posting this- I've just spent £21 downloading my elusive rellies including both my grandfathers and other misc family members. Sadly my maternal grandfathers later WW1 records are not there yet, but no doubt they will be in time.
Once again thanks.
I was very pleased to find my grandfather and his younger brother already included. I had always wanted to go to TNA to look them up in person, but was injured before I was able to do so and such long distance travel is a bit of a problem now - so finding the documents online was wonderful, a small tear welled in the eye on finding my grandfather's sheet (My wife is mystified as to the emotion created by such finds).

There is a link from Documents Online showing the extent of records which will eventually be included; it's quite impressive for those with Naval Ancestry and will eventually include some 500,000 records.

Geoffers

PamG
14-09-2005, 4:39 PM
Thank you so much for posting the link to the naval records. I had found my great uncle in the War Graves Commission site, but these NA records are incredible. Not only do I now have list of all the ships that he served on, but also his height, hair colour, eye colour, and even chest size!

More importantly it says how he died - an explosion on board his ship. Even his death certificate didn't give me that information.

Pam

sandiep
14-09-2005, 8:49 PM
fantastic found my grandfathers record, now I will have loads of ships to look up

sandie

Linda
14-09-2005, 11:32 PM
Thanks Geoffers. Although I have a copy of my grandfather's service record I just had to do a search out of pure curiosity :D

I was pleased and surprised to see that his Navy record has already been digitized. I don't usually have such luck!

Linda

Geoff Rogers
17-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Hi Geoffers,

Thank you for posting this link. My wife's ggrandfather was reputed to have served in the navy for a short period and now we have the truth. The period was Jan to Jul 1882. The discharge column says D.S.Q, Plymouth and the remarks column says Gg £5 Lady 2 ?(can't make it out) 82. Would anyone know what these notes meant. Also the Date of engagement column states 22 December 1883 - 10 y, the only clue I can see is this date will be his 18th birthday. A real bonus is all his physical details.

Geoff

Terry
17-09-2005, 11:05 PM
I have found a brilliant site for searching details of Royal Navy ships (and some other countries) It's at
http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/

I found 5 of my families Navy Records through the new NA listings and have been busy looking up their various ships

Geoffers
18-09-2005, 9:23 AM
I have found a brilliant site for searching details of Royal Navy ships (and some other countries) It's at
http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/

As well as that, you might also have a browse around Paul Benyon's site
http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/Naval.html
if you are at all interested in the Royal Navy of the Victorian period.

Geoffers

Jillychris
18-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Thank you for this information. I have now found five of my relatives. Two I have already downloaded. It confirmed that one of my relatives died in 1901 and his last ship the Redpole (thanks to Geoffers for Paul Benyons site) was at the Boxer Rebellion in China, where he was supposed to be. Now all I have to do if find the Civil Hospital, Hawkon which is where he died of sep and meningitus.
Regards
Jill

Geoffers
18-09-2005, 3:44 PM
The period was Jan to Jul 1882. The discharge column says D.S.Q, PlymouthDSQ = Discharged Sick Quarters. The lad was ill/injured which is presumably why his service was cut short.

the remarks column says Gg £5 Lady 2 ?(can't make it out) 82.I thought this was CG - which I think (though maybe incorrect) was Conduct Gratuity. I couldn't clearly make out the bit after Lady on the records I downloaded, but assumed this was Lady Day '82 - the date when the gratuity was paid.

Also the Date of engagement column states 22 December 1883 - 10 y,When he reached 18, he would be able to sign on for a set period - a 10 or 12 year spell. When he then renewed his service it would be to complete time to pension.

Geoffers

Copper
18-09-2005, 6:35 PM
Thanks very much Geoffers for that information. I now know why I am so short as grandad Derrick was only 5' 4'' tall!!!! I knew that he had been in the navy but I had no idea how many years he served - I do now :) I just have to decipher the writing and then what it all means.

Geoff Rogers
18-09-2005, 9:52 PM
Many Thanks Geoffers for your information.

Geoff