PDA

View Full Version : Registers of Seamen's Services

Geoffers
13-09-2005, 9:24 PM
In case anyone with Naval anceestry isn't aware, The National Archives are digitising the record of Seamen's Services 1873-1923
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/
You can download the service record from Documents Online for the usual £3.50 fee. If you don't have easy access to Kew, this may be useful. The project is incomplete at the time of writing; but as it progresses will become a useful resource.

Geoffers

Allan Robson
27-01-2006, 3:24 PM
Hello All
My Gt,Gt, Grandfather was in Royal Naval Reserve he died in 1865 on his way to the training ship in Sunderland Co Durham, He was buried with Naval Honours and a Brass Band from the H.M.S Active led the Cortege, the only information I have of this is from the Newspaper of the day.
Would the Navy have any Records of this,and would the H.M.S Active be the ship he trained on.
Maybe someone may be able to help.

Regards
Allan Robson

Geniedi
31-01-2006, 11:01 PM
Does anyone know if there are plans to put records prior to 1853 on there??

Geoffers
01-02-2006, 12:02 AM
Does anyone know if there are plans to put records prior to 1853 on there??

Late 18th, and 19th centrury records are indexed online.

Use TNA's online catalogue
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp
enter the name in the first field and in the field for department or series code enter ADM29.

To view the record, you will have to order it from TNA, this you can do online.

Geoffers

Geoffers
01-02-2006, 2:36 PM
My Gt,Gt, Grandfather was in Royal Naval Reserve he died in 1865 on his way to the training ship in Sunderland Co Durham, He was buried with Naval Honours and a Brass Band from the H.M.S Active led the Cortege, the only information I have of this is from the Newspaper of the day.
Would the Navy have any Records of this
Records will be held by The National Archives (TNA) at Kew, but where you look depends on his rank in the RNR.

If he was a rating, then service registers are in the series BT164.

Officers registers are in ADM240.

TNA will also hold some records relating to his service in the Merchant Navy.

Geoffers

Ed Bradford
01-02-2006, 9:05 PM
Geoffers, I was unaware that the Naval Service Records were online until you mentioned it in this forum. I've been to The National Archives site several times to look for other information and overlooked the posting about Seaman's Services each time. When I get destination oriented it's as if I have blinders on. Thanks for waking me up to the fact that it was there. I was looking for the naval records of two ancestors and found both of them listed. One was quite a colorful character and he'll add a little spice to the family tree. Again, thanks for the heads up on this. .................Ed

Jillychris
02-02-2006, 7:22 AM
I dowloaded all (I thought) my registers of seamen and there were 7 of them. But not the earlier ones I wanted.

Then I read your advice above about putting in the name and ADM29. I did this yesterday morning and a huge brick wall has fallen.

I had George Warrey/Warry c1810 born out of County (Devon) in 1841 census and didn't know where he came from, but he was a Mariner.

By putting in the name up it came with Chard as his place of birth. I know it is him because his service ended on the date of his death. I found that out by meeting a second cousin (I didn't know I had before) and she gave me a photocopy of the Family Bible.

I have ordered a copy of the documents and now can proceed to go back with this Family. Warrey is my maiden name and my Dad is very interested in my research and was disappointed that I couldn't go back any further, but now hopefully I can.

Thank you once again Geoffers for the time and effort you put into giving advice on this site. This isn't the first time you have helped me.

Kindest Regards
Jill

lorri61
09-06-2006, 7:19 PM
Hi I wondered if you could tell me how to find out about my gggrandfather who was a steward in the Navy,on his marriage cert and on the 1871 cencus he was listed as such ,and on his sons birth cert it say steward Royal Navy, Victory.
His name is Moses George Moore and he was dead by the 1881 cencus.
Thanks Lorri

Geoffers
09-06-2006, 8:54 PM
I wondered if you could tell me how to find out about my gggrandfather who was a steward in the Navy,on his marriage cert and on the 1871 cencus he was listed as such ,and on his sons birth cert it say steward Royal Navy, Victory. His name is Moses George Moore and he was dead by 1881
Becuase of the period when he was serving, you are unlikely to find anything online. The National Archives (TNA) has lots of research guides to explain things, which will save me typing a lot of detail here. I suggest you click on this link:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/researchguidesindex.asp
Then select 'R' and look through the links for Royal Navy Service Records and Pension Records. It is likely that you'd need to go to TNA to find his record.

Geoffers