PDA

View Full Version : John Heskin Pett

Caryl Gill
13-09-2005, 4:22 PM
I found this Cornish engineer, in the Plymouth census of 1901. He was age 50, a widower, and supposedly was born in St Tudy. But I've checked every record I can find, and he doesn't seem to exist before 1901. The middle name is the puzzle, can anyone suggest variants that I may have missed

Caryl

Scottie
13-09-2005, 5:31 PM
I found this Cornish engineer, in the Plymouth census of 1901. He was age 50, a widower, and supposedly was born in St Tudy. But I've checked every record I can find, and he doesn't seem to exist before 1901. The middle name is the puzzle, can anyone suggest variants that I may have missed

Caryl
Hi Caryl,
I think he was John HOSKIN Pett and but for the age of 50 I would have said he was the son of Robert Pett and Maria Hoskin married 5 Nov 1836 in Warbstow. Their John was baptised on 6 feb 1842 at St Tudy and was with them in the 1841 census as a 4 month old baby then in 1851 aged 10 and in 1861 as a 20 year old unmarried Cooper. By 1881 he is in Redruth and married to Grace Luke Harris. He says he is 35! and is now a Draper & Grocer with 2 young children born in Redruth named Sidney John and William Morley. His age is out here too. Is it possible that this is your man? If so I can let you have further details. :)

jeeb
13-09-2005, 6:01 PM
Hi both,
As I expect you know Scottie, Grace Luke Pett is registered dead June quarter 1896 at Redruth aged 50, so this would tie up with him being a widower too.
Jeremy

Scottie
13-09-2005, 8:00 PM
Hi both,
As I expect you know Scottie, Grace Luke Pett is registered dead June quarter 1896 at Redruth aged 50, so this would tie up with him being a widower too.
Jeremy
Dear Jeremy,
No I did not know that as I only went looking for him in the 1881 when I saw the post :D Thank you for the feedback though as it makes the DB that bit better.
|bowdown|

Caryl Gill
22-09-2005, 10:56 AM
Hi - had a car accident so havn't looked in for a while.

I did find another John Hoskin Pett in the 'West Briton' in 1887, he got 9 months for fraud, but there was no age mentioned, and he was a grocer, not an engineer. Is it the same man, who reinvented himself or got himself another very different job?

Caryl