PDA

View Full Version : Ashburton Dunning

RoseDunning
12-09-2005, 4:54 PM
Has anyone come across this name? It has been used on my father's side of the family since around 1868 with JOHN ASHBURTON DUNNING born in Bristol then three of his sons were given the same middle name. I would like to know the origin of the name. I am aware of the 1st Baron of Ashburton, John Dunning but am not far back enough to find a link.

I'm also interested in knowing whether anyone has come across census entries with this name combination.

Thank you :)

Procat
13-09-2005, 11:29 AM
Hi Rose,

A search of Ancestry 1861 - 1901 for Ashburton Dunning came up with no hits.

Of course if Ashburton was the middle name Ancestry would in all likelhood not find them.

Lucy ashburton-dunning
16-09-2006, 2:47 PM
hello my name is lucy ashburton-dunning, i am 13. i would like to help wit hthis search, i am doing a school project on it. :D so i hope that we can find out everything about the ashburton-dunnings

bristolloggerheads
23-09-2006, 8:16 AM
"Douglas Clifford Dunning
He was born on 9 July 1924 in Weston-super-Mare.
The details on his birth certificate say that his mother's name was Mabel (nee Piper) and his father was John Ashburton Dunning, living at 35 Sandford Road.
He was placed in an orphanage, with his 5 older brothers and then adopted by a family in Redhill, Somerset.
The only other thing I know is that my father enlisted in the Navy at Bristol in 1939 and his father was a journeyman baker.
I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who remembers absolutely anything about orphanages in the area, his parents, his adopted family or my father.
I can be contacted at: [email protected]"

blue eyes
23-09-2006, 11:27 AM
There are 2 births registered for John Ashburton Dunning on the free bmd, as follows:-

John Ashburton Dunning reg Jan-Mar 1/4 1854 dist Devon vol 5b page 60
John Ashburton Dunning reg Jan-Mar 1/4 1868 dist Bristol vol 6a page 32

blue eyes
23-09-2006, 11:44 AM
Found the following on the 1871 census as follows:-

Civil parish St. James and St. Paul, eccles parish St. Barnabas

John A Dunning age 3 born Bristol nephew
other household members

Alice G Harris age 4
Emma B Harris age 33
Emma H Harris age5
Joseph T Harris age 30