PDA

View Full Version : Been struggling for a while

PamW
12-09-2005, 1:07 AM
Hi

Could someone please give me some advice on how to go about this query?

My grand-dad's father was called John James Sheridan, the only information I have on him is his marriage cert to Esther Clavering on 27 October 1914 at the Register Office in Salford, Lancashire. His occupation was "Metal ? Labourer" and he was 29 years old. His father was also named as John James Sheridan (deceased) and he was a general labourer.

I cannot trace either of these two Sheridan's as being together in any earlier census's. Nor can I find a birth certificate for John James junior. I have purchased quite a few birth cert's for him but the father's name is never John.

because John is such a popular christian name they are proving very hard to find.

I have managed to go back 2 further generations with Esther's.

Sheridan is my maiden name so this is really important to me to find them, if anyone can suggest anything, and how to go about it, please let me know.

Pam

Chasing Caseys
12-09-2005, 1:26 AM
Hi Pam

Do you think your "John or James " could have been born in Lancashire ? These are the John and James born c 1885 on the 1891 census +/- 5 years in Lancashire......
James Sheridan abt 1880 Heywood, Lancashire, England Son 6 Wolstenholme Building, Heap, Lancashire, England
James Sheridan abt 1880 Manchester, Lancashire, England Son 23 Mayor St, Pendleton In Salford, Lancashire, England
John Sheridan abt 1880 Bootle, Lancashire, England Lodger Son 7 Garden Lane, Bootle Cum Linacre, Lancashire, England
John Sheridan abt 1880 Ince, Lancashire, England Son 18 Albert St, Ince In Makerfield, Lancashire, England
John Sheridan abt 1881 Liverpool, Lancashire, England Son 5 Lander St, Liverpool, Lancashire, England

Do you know roughly where he was born ?

PamW
12-09-2005, 1:37 AM
Hi Tracey.....tx for the speedy reply

Unfortunately, I haven't got a clue where either of them were born, the only probable infor I have is his age, 29 making him roughly being born around 1885. I have tried different variations on both their christian names, but I keep coming up with nothing. Something inside is telling me they could have come from Ireland but I don't know for sure and I don't know how to go about it, again John Sheridan in Ireland is a popular name.

Thanks for the suggestions though, any advice is much appreciated.

Pam

Geoffers
12-09-2005, 9:48 AM
If the father's dead in 1914, he may of course have died by 1901 or even 1891. So finding them both on a census may be impossible. So work at this from another way and use the certificates you've obtained so far to your advantage.

The 1901 census, shows few John Sheridans aged 15 +/- 2 years

John Sheridan, 13, bn Chesh Seacombe
John Sheridan, 13, bn Lancs Liverpool
John Sheridan, 14, bn Lancs Bradford Manchester
John Sheridan, 14, bn Lancs Liverpool
John Sheridan, 15, bn Yorks, Middlebrough

John Sheridan, 17, bn Cumberland, Whitehaven

John Sheridan, 17, bn Yorks, Heckmondwike

John Sheridan, 17, bn Lancs Salford, Lancaster

John Sheridan, 17, bn Yorks Leeds, York

continued.....

Geoffers
12-09-2005, 9:52 AM
part 2.....

The certificates you possess hopefully name some fathers and occupations. Try searching the 1901 census index to see if you can discount any of the above.

For any of the birth certificates you've obtained, can you find corresponding death certificates so that you can definitely discount them from the 1901 census.

Use the marriage certificate - who are the witnesses? Could any of these be siblings to John Sheridan? Can you find any of them on the 1901 census index?

You should have an address for the groom in 1914. Try searching a directory for the period 1910-1920 to see who was living at the address. By any chance is a woman recorded there? - Could this be his mother and does she turn up on the 1901 census?

Do any of the birth certificates you've bought have the father as James (people sometimes dropped their first name), or do any of them not record a father?

Geoffers

PamW
12-09-2005, 11:01 AM
Hi Geoffers

Thank you very much for your advice, you have given me a lot to think about. I will take a look at everything you suggested and hopefully find some answers. I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again, very much appreciated.

Pam

uksearch
12-09-2005, 1:51 PM
It might help if you post the full details of the marriage certificate to the forum.I have access to many Trade Directories and other useful information for the Salford area.

UK

PamW
12-09-2005, 4:43 PM
Ty Uk for your reply

The full details of the marriage cert is as follows:

Groom: John James Sheridan - age 29 - Batchelor - Metal ?? Labourer - 25 Islington Street, Salford - Father's name : John James Sheridan (deceased) - General Labourer

Bride: Esther Clavering - age 24 - Spinster - No occupation listed - 23 Islington Street, Salford - father's name : Benjamin Clavering - General Labourer.

They were married in the register office in salford on 27 Oct 1914 by certificate and their witnesses were J H Bell & Eva bell

If you can help with anything please let me know.

Many thanks

Pam

uksearch
14-09-2005, 3:01 PM
I could not find any suitable John Sheridans in the 1914 TD.I checked in the 1919 TD but by then he could have changed occupation.I did manage to find Esther's family in 1891 at RG 12 3236 folio 47.I suspect that you already have this information.

UK

PamW
14-09-2005, 3:18 PM
Thanks for looking UK....I appreciate it.

This is proving really tough, I have looked at various address directories for years between 1900-1914 but I can't come up with anything at all. Also looked back at my stash of birth cert for him but again, nothing relevant is there and I have tried looking at census years with the father's occupation and different forenames but again no joy. I have hit a brick wall.

Can you give me any further advice on tracing these 2 elusive Sheridan's as I am at a loss as to where to go next?

I am going to try and trace one or more of my living uncles/aunts (John's grand-children) hopefully, if I can. Maybe they may know something. I haven't been in contact with any of them for over 25 years.

Yes, I do have the info regarding Esther, but thanks for looking.

Thanks again

Pam

uksearch
14-09-2005, 3:18 PM
I forgot to mention that according to the alapbetical street index in the M&S TD
numbers 23 & 25 Islington St did not exist in 1900 or in 1914.

UK

PamW
14-09-2005, 6:58 PM
Hi again Uk

That's the problem I have had when I've searched the address directories. It definitely looks like Islington Street though on the cert The "S" is written the same way on "Sheridan". I don't know what to think since you have found the same....do you think it could be "Blington" or something similar?

Thanks for your help, every little bit helps.

Pam

uksearch
15-09-2005, 12:57 PM
There was an Islington St in Salford,for sure,my ggf lived there:D .Is the certificate that you have an image of the original,the original or is it a hand written copy you have obtained? if its either of the first two is possible for you to scan it and post it to the forum or even send it me privately?

UK

PamW
15-09-2005, 7:30 PM
Thanks for your message UK

To be honest I'm not sure if it's a copy or re written, it isn't the original though. My scanner is broke at the moment but if you PM with a Fax No: if you have one that would be great, another pair of eyes might be what I need.

Thanks for your offer of help, very much appreciated.

Pam

uksearch
16-09-2005, 1:27 PM
Sorry I do not have a fax machine.

UK