PDA

View Full Version : HMS Charlotte

Hunterrunner
12-01-2015, 10:36 AM
In 1800 HMS Charlotte caught fire when a simple accident, a flame kept alight for signal purposes fell onto some straw. The crew and officers battled the fire for 5 hours before the ship exploded. It was a horrendous accident and of its 900 complement only about 160 survive.

One of the survivors was ISAAC KNIGHT. I do not know if he was seaman or Marine. I have been trying to find a list of the crew who survived. Surviving officers have been listed in places I have looked but I am stuck in my research for this crew man. I am after his age/date of birth; place of origin or where recruited; rank; service history; wife/family information.

If you have a suggestion, please let me know.

gasser
12-01-2015, 2:00 PM
Searching British newspapers (via fmp) I was able to find a full list of survivors for this tragedy.
And I'm not sure if this is Isaac you are looking for ....
Born c 1771 Hampshire according to 1841 census Piece 412. Book 1b. Folio 64. Page 34

Hunterrunner
15-01-2015, 8:50 AM
thanks for your reply. right on the money so you have saved me probably hours.:

gasser
15-01-2015, 10:36 AM
thanks for your reply. right on the money so you have saved me probably hours.:

Glad to help.
Have just found this entry, quite literally, by accident !
"Name: Isaac Knight; Ship's name: HMS Queen Charlotte; Pay book number: SB 1618; Rank: Able Seaman; Relation: Mother Hannah; When Alloted: 1798; Remarks: Not stated."
http://
discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C12196280

TomBen
15-01-2015, 10:52 AM
Spot on Gasser, I was going to mention I thought it was HMS Queen Charlotte that caught fire not HMS Charlotte but you beat me to it!

Well done sir/ma'am!

gasser
15-01-2015, 1:22 PM
Spot on Gasser, I was going to mention I thought it was HMS Queen Charlotte that caught fire not HMS Charlotte but you beat me to it!

Well done sir/ma'am!
Thank you Tom.
Isaac Knight is also mentioned in the Admiralty records for a service medal, although I cannot for the life of me remember how I got there! I find the NA site "gasser unfriendly' !! ��
Ma'am = Gail by the way