PDA

View Full Version : opinions on signature

Wilkes_ml
28-12-2014, 8:07 PM
Sarah Ann BACHELL at marriage 12th October 1843 to George SMITH @ St. John the Baptist, Margate

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc25/Wilkes_ml/Family%20History/MarriagetoGeorgeSmith1843_zps50a5f3f6.png (http://s213.photobucket.com/user/Wilkes_ml/media/Family%20History/MarriagetoGeorgeSmith1843_zps50a5f3f6.png.html)

and Sarah Ann BATCHELL at marriage of brother? Robert BATCHELL on 13th October 1843 @ St. Mildred, Preston next Wingham

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc25/Wilkes_ml/Family%20History/marriageofbrotherRobert_zpsf9b148a1.png (http://s213.photobucket.com/user/Wilkes_ml/media/Family%20History/marriageofbrotherRobert_zpsf9b148a1.png.html)

Just looking for a second (or more!) confirmation that these signatures look like they were written by the same person.

I'm pretty certain it's the same Sarah Ann...just confused as to why she would be signing as Sarah Ann BATCHELL, the day after her own marriage. I thought maybe she got married in secret, but I believe the banns would have been read in the groom's parish of Staple, which was the next village to where her family lived!

Pam Downes
28-12-2014, 9:08 PM
I presume you haven't found another Sarah Ann in the close or near family, e.g. another Sarah Ann who married another brother/cousin?
There are certainly a lot of similarities between the signatures, but also some differences. Though at least two of them I could put down to a different pen, as I know sometimes my signature differs if I use a 'strange' pen.
As for
just confused as to why she would be signing as Sarah Ann BATCHELL, the day after her own marriage. it does take you a while to get used to signing your married surname. Especially if it's something you don't do every day, as would have been the case back then.

Pam

Ladkyis
31-12-2014, 10:30 AM
why didn't she sign as Sarah Ann Smith if that was her married name. I think it is a different person

Sandyhall
31-12-2014, 11:00 AM
why didn't she sign as Sarah Ann Smith if that was her married name. I think it is a different person

I was just thinking the same Ladkyis she should have signed her name as Smith as she was now married.

Sandyhall
31-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Yes i bit, you got me going this morning

FreeBMD has this - Marriage Sarah Ann BUCHELL on the same page is GEORGE SMITH. Dec 1/4 1843 Isle of Thanet

Did Robert BATCHELL marry a Angelina ?

Wilkes_ml
31-12-2014, 12:26 PM
Yes, Sarah Ann BACHELL did marry George SMITH at Margate ( the Bachell name has many variations and transcription errors). They are my direct ancestors. The name is particularly rare, and I have pretty much accounted for every one of them in the Wingham/Preston area of Kent. Sarah Ann was working in Hawley Square, Margate as a servant at the time of her marriage, but in the 1851 & 1861 census she gives her place of birth as Wingham ( combined with the father being Thomas BACHELL on her marriage certificate, I know she is the daughter of Thomas & Sarah BACHELL nee GILES)

There was only one Sarah Ann BACHELL baptised at all..and she was the one baptised 1824 at wingham. She is definitely the sister of Robert BACHELL who did marry Angelina WHITMARSH before abandoning Angelina & children to run off to America, fight in the civil war and bigamously marry another woman and have a second family, before returning to Angelina 30 years later!

I'm was just wondering why Sarah Ann would still sign herself as BACHELL instead of SMITH, the day after her own wedding, unless it was a secret marriage.

Wilkes_ml
31-12-2014, 12:34 PM
Also, I know Robert is the son of Thomas & Sarah BACHELL nee GILES, as althought I haven't yet found his baptism ( supposedly born Canterbury about 1819), I do have a removal order from St. Dunstans, Canterbury for Thomas & Sarah and their children including Robert. A couple of their children were baptised at nearby Harbledown.

Ladkyis
03-01-2015, 10:53 AM
Ooh I never thought of secret marriages, what a mystery!! Keep us informed if you ever find the truth

Michael Duke
04-01-2015, 12:52 AM
I would suggest both signatures where done by the same person, spelling was a little more fluid in those days.