PDA

View Full Version : RAF Singpore/Ceylon WW11

Sallyanne123
17-11-2014, 2:06 PM
Hi I'm new to FWR and am trying to trace my fathers WW11 national service. We know very little, all we know is that he joined the RAF in 1940 and worked in "Bricks and Works"? He was stationed in Sinapore and fled, when it was taken, on a Dutch Tramp Steamer to Ceylon where it was torpedoed and consequently rescued and worked on the Airfields on Ceylon and The Maldives. This is all verbal history so unsure if it is fact. The survived the war a was demobbed in 1945. His name was Ronald Edward Stanley born 17/10/22 in Kings Norton Worcester, moved to Bornemouth as a child and went to Bournemouth School for Boys and when he was 18 he lived in Bridle Crescent, Iford. Parents were Charles Edward Stanley and Ivy Mable Nee Hancock.
I'd very greatful for any help as I've hit a wall!

Pam Downes
17-11-2014, 7:25 PM
Hello Sallyanne123,

Welcome to British-Genealogy. :smile5:

Your father's service records, like those of everyone who served after approximately 1921 (depending on which branch of the services and rank), are still held by the MoD.

Forms to send and where to send them (plus a copy of his death certificate and thirty quid) can be found here (https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records).

Be prepared for a wait because everyone is applying for similar records.

Pam

Sallyanne123
18-11-2014, 8:55 AM
Hi Pam,
Ah ha, that will be why there is nothing, thanks!
My Mum, his wife, is still alive so shouldn't have to pay the £30 or should I send it anyway?

Sally

Peter Goodey
18-11-2014, 9:19 AM
should I send it anyway?

No. make sure the forms are completed in your mum's name.

Sallyanne123
18-11-2014, 2:03 PM
Thanks Peter, I'll get that in the post ASAP and join the queue! ��