PDA

View Full Version : Hello

zoebrinn
09-09-2005, 12:58 AM
I am attempting to research a family in Pembrokeshire. They mainly consist of Brinn, Lloyd, Griffith/Griffiths. I have resently descovered that my paternal line of Brinns goes back to an illegitimate son, John Brinn whose sister Margaret Brinn married a Mark Griffiths. Their mother, Anne, was a Brinn and has not disclosed as far as i can tell who the father or fathers of her children are. I have some information to suggest that her parents were Robert and Margaret (also Griffiths) Brinn and that Robert's parents were also Robert and Margaret (another Griffiths) Brinn. John, my gg grandfather seemed fairly well off in later life. The family consist of mainly shoemakers, quarrymen and ship labourers/rights. John was born in 1864, Carew and records of his mother are very few. If anyone has any links/information to these people i would be very grateful. I have more information. John's first wife was Elizabeth Lloyd also from pembroke c.1854. Thanks Zoe

Megan Roberts
29-10-2005, 12:18 AM
Zoe

The 1861 Census has 1 Anne Brinn aged 25 and born in Carew. She was the daughter of Robert Brinn born abt 1789 St Florence, Pembrokeshire. Also living was Robert's granddaughter Margaret born abt 1857 in Carew.

John Brinn is list in the 1871 Census as living with his Mother Anne in Carew - she is listed as the head of the household, and there is no one else living there. John was 8 years old and Anne was 31 born in Carew.

There is no reference to an Anne Brinn after the 1871 Census.

In the 1881 Census John was listed as the brother in law of Mark Griffiths who was 23 and married to Margaret who was 24. She was also born in Carew. John's age is given as 20. Also in the house was the daughter of Mark and Margaret, Anne Jane, born in 1881. They were living at Mutton Hill, Cosheston, Pembrokeshire.

In 1891 John aged 28 was living in Orange Gardens, St. Mary Pembroke. His wife Elizabeth Ann was said to be born in 1853 and they had 4 sons - Arthur Thomas born abt 1890, John Melbourne born abt 1884, Sidney Lloyd born abt 1888, and William George born abt 1887.

in 1901 they were still living in Pembroke St Mary. Elizabeth was born in Neath Glamorgan. Their children, all born in Pembroke St Mary were as above plus Charles E born abt 1891, Ethel E born abt 1894, and Winnifred born abt 1896.

According to Pembrokeshire Marriages 1813-1837 a Robert Brinn a labourer married Margaret Griffith in Carew on 6 July 1816. There is another marriage which might be of interest - Anne Brinn married Thomas Griffith a quarryman on 18 November 1815 in Carew.

I hope this helps

Megan

Orielbenfro
04-09-2008, 9:56 AM
This may help your research
From my index’s of Pembroke St Mary Baptism Register 1847 to 1895
13 Sep 1883 John Melbourne to John and Elizabeth Ann Brinn of Orange Gardens a Labr in HM Dockyard by W. Jones
24 Jan 1884 James to Rees & Mary Brinn of Orange Gardens a Police Officer baptised by W. Jones

During the period 1848 to 1915 I note the mrge of 4 female Brinns at Pembroke St Mary, I have full details if required.

From my index Pembroke St Michael Baptism from the register covering period 1839 to 1901 I note
01 Aug 1884 Lily to Sarah Anne Brien of the Eastend with no occupation shown baptised by D.R. Parry Davies.

I also note baptism of Brinns at Lamphey (next parish to Carew), Manorbier and Monkton.

Rgds
Orielbenfro

Procat
04-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Hi Orielbenfro,

zoebrinn may not see your post as they have not been active on the forum since 2005.