PDA

View Full Version : Episcopalian Church in Scotland

joette
08-09-2005, 3:28 PM
I wonder if anybody has knowledge of the records kept by the Church in Scotland.Would they be kept/submitted in a similar fashion to the Church of Scotland?
Is it possible to view any available records for the period after 1855(Civil Registration Scotland)?
Thanks in advance for any info.

Chasing Caseys
08-09-2005, 10:03 PM
Hello Joette

All bmd,s from 1855 are available to view on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. Is there something specific other than bmd,s you are after ?
Which area are you looking in as i can give you mail addresses of local studies groups ect (if you are looking in the same places as me) that have been a huge help to me in the past.....and all info was free including ........census from 1841 which they photocopied and sent to me :D I have also phoned and mailed certain churches in Scotland and they were more than happy to help and have looked in their books and found or confirmed things for me. www.moray.gov.uk is mostly Moray based but that doesnt mean your not going to find who you are looking for and they have added a wealth of info to this in the recent months and you can find out more than you thought you ever would bar going to live in Scotland and researching full time along with Scotlandspeole this is the best site ever and the people there will more than go out of their way to help ! For specific Scottish questions are you a member of www.talkingscot.com ?

Just a few thoughts !!!

Tracey

joette
09-09-2005, 11:32 AM
Thank you for your prompt reply.Being the nosey person that I am I am trying
to find as much as possible re my Family.
I want to view the Registers to possibly glean info not aviable in the Legal Registration.My theory is that they changed Church because of the scandal of an illegitimate birth(another branch of my Family did this but much later & she still had to sit on the penitent stool - the Father did not, hows that for double standards?)
Also a common name like Scott with several similiarly named living in the same street never mind the village(my GGrandparents were mistakenly sent a telegram/letter informing them of their sons death in action it is only when they read the Regimental details that they realised it was a neighbours son & not my Grandfather.)makes it a pretty time consuming & expensive buisness
searching for marriages when I dont know the surnames of the Bridegroom.
Talking Scots & Scotlands People rock I now have the Birth details for my Great-Grandmother within a day of posting after my Mum,Aunt &I have been looking for 40+ years.(my MUM -I have been looking for a modest fifteen.)

joette
09-09-2005, 11:36 AM
Forgot to add the location I am looking is Midlothian & the Village Penicuik