PDA

View Full Version : Black Watch

cdnsctgirl
17-10-2004, 2:18 AM
Where can I find out about the Black Watch's role in the Crimean War? My great-great-great-grandfather was supposedly a drummer in the Black Watch who died of injuries suffered in the Crimean War. I only know his name (James CARDEN), so perhaps by looking towards his military service I can find out something about him.

Thanks,

Sarah

Geoffers
17-10-2004, 8:39 PM
Where can I find out about the Black Watch's role in the Crimean War? My great-great-great-grandfather was supposedly a drummer in the Black Watch who died of injuries suffered in the Crimean War. I only know his name (James CARDEN), so perhaps by looking towards his military service I can find out something about him.
SarahThere are quite a few published books about the Crimea. Try searching on Amazon, or the Naval & Military Press www,naval-military-press.co.uk - or even your local bookshop.

As to specifics about James Carden, try The National Archives (TNA) at Kew who hold:

Casualty Returns 1809-1875 are held in WO25/1359-2410, and 3251-3260. There is an index in WO25/2411-2755 and 3261-3471.

Service Records are in WO97 and should be the main source of information for you. (I believe that Black Watch Service Records for this perod for names beginning with 'C' are in WO97/1519, but you will need to check this)

Scutari Depot Muster Books in WO14.

I have a note that campaign medals for Crimea are in WO100/374, but again you should check this with TNA.

Also check with:

Regimental Museum and Archives of Black Watch
Balhousie Castle,
Hay Street,
Perth
PH1 5HS
Tel. 0131 3108530

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Guy Etchells
19-10-2004, 1:08 PM
I have a copy of a history of the Black Watch 1725-1907 which includes the Boer War and shows some of the treks the second battalion made during that period.
I will scan it during the week and let you have a copy on cd.
Cheers
Guy

Guy Etchells
21-10-2004, 9:47 PM
Unfortunately I tried to scan the book today but the binding is too tight to scan on a flatbed scanner.
Cheers
Guy

Carol K.
09-09-2006, 2:12 AM
I am interested in any information on John Haswell. According to the family he was a Officer in the Scot's Fusiliers and part of Queen Victoria's guard at Windsor Castle. According to the 1881 British Census he was a Chelsea Pensioner.

My GGGrandmother was Susannah Elizabeth (nee Harris) Faulkner. In 1855 she went to the Koulali hospital as worked as a nurse. Susannah had worked in the cholera establishment at Oxford. She was 42 when she went to Koulali but was sent home after 5 months because:

"Sent home for disobedience to [Hicks]. Walking arout with soldiers and "conducting herself in anything but a reputable manner." [Miss Hutton's letter August 24/25 and October 22. - Florence Nightingale Museum Resource Centre]

She married Haswell sometime after 1855. Susannah was either divorced or widowed (have not been able to determine this) from William Faulkner and had raised 8 + children from his marriage. Before meeting Haswell.

Would like to know more about Haswell and if anyone has any more info on Susannah.