PDA

View Full Version : RFC to RAF to RE!

PoppaB
13-10-2014, 6:01 PM
I wonder if anyone can help me to clarify some fact surrounding my Grandfather's WW1 & WW2 service? At the age of 18, my Grandfather, William Henry Bowles, enlisted for WW1, serving in the Royal Flying Corps. He took part in all the major battles and survived, leaving the war as a corporal in the radio communications section of the RAF. However, I have been unable to trace his war record save for a short paragraph in summary. can anyone help me find his WW1 records on the Internet?

Between the wars he was called annually to participate in training camps and started his WW2 service as RSM in the Royal Engineers transport division. I have obtained records showing that his division was responsible for bringing large quantities of captured enemy equipment back to the UK for storage. This makes sort of sense as he was employed as a railway station master at the start of the war. My second question is therefore, how and when did he transfer from the RAF to the RE and how can I trace this from available records?

Any help gratefully received.

thewideeyedowl
13-10-2014, 6:17 PM
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=%28Bowles%2C+william+H+%29+AND+%28medal%29+AN D+%28royal+air+force%29

Hi and welcome..

The link above is to his Medal Index Card at The National Archives. You will see that he also served in the Royal Garrison Artillery, which might explain later transfer.

You have to pay a small fee to download the card from TNA but you could also view it, in a slightly different format, on Ancestry - your local library might have a sub, so you could find it there for free.

In a rush, but I hope to be back later.

Owl

Lesley Robertson
13-10-2014, 7:02 PM
If his service went past 1922, the MOD will still be sitting on his records.
At the top of this RAF list, there's a message about how to apply for a copy.

christanel
13-10-2014, 8:29 PM
Hi
On one of our other threads a member, gortonboy, brought it to my attention that ancestry is allowing free access to the British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, until the end of the year. I have just taken a look and it does say Free next to it. The best way to get to these cards is to click on 'Military' in the RH column, either from the Home page or Search page. You will see Medal Roll Index cards listed. Again in the RH side column.
Lesley's excellent 'sticky' for information re WW11 is Here (http://www.british-genealogy.com/threads/81920-Finding-service-records-for-WW2-and-after?p=585757#post585757)

Christina

PoppaB
07-11-2014, 6:26 PM
Many thanks for your post, Owl. The information is very useful, but has thrown the family into some confusion as no one had any idea about the Royal Garrison Artillery connection. If this is the case, is it possible that my grandfather could have transferred to the RFC? The only information I have is in the form of his RFC uniform badges and there is no trace of any link with the Royal Garrison Artillery. I have been able to confirm that he left WW1 as a Corporal in the telegraph dept. of the RAF. Do you think that it is still feasible that he might have first enlisted in the RGA?
Many thanks for your help and my apologies for not sending my thanks earlier, you have been a great help.

helachau
07-11-2014, 7:41 PM
PoppaB,

Was your grandmother's given name Violet?

christanel
07-11-2014, 9:06 PM
William Bowles regiment details are in the UK, WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920 on ancestry. In the remarks column it says -Transf. "G" res 9 March 1919. As WW1 ended 11 November 1918 does this transfer refer to the Royal Garrison after this date? 300884 is his RAF number and 93736 his Royal Garrison Artillery number. If he transferred in 1919 then the link Lesley gave to WW11 records may be relevant.

Christina

PoppaB
08-11-2014, 6:01 PM
helachau

Yes, Indeed it was. His date of birth was 27/8/1895 and I believe that they married in 1917.

helachau
09-11-2014, 10:28 AM
PobbaB,

Find My Past has a record (2 pages/images) under its "British Royal Air Force, Airmen's Service records 1912-1939".

PoppaB
09-11-2014, 12:50 PM
Thanks for that, Helachau, I'll check it out today