PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody live in, or visit, York?

Pam Downes
11-10-2014, 4:20 AM
If so, I wonder if you could do me a very big favour please?

It entails going to Duncombe Place (almost round the corner from the Minster) and looking to see if a name is listed on the Boer War Memorial.

And if you could take a couple of photos anyway (regardless of whether the name is listed or not, I will be doubly grateful. :flowers:

thewideeyedowl
11-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Hi Pam

If I could, I surely would.....but I live far from York...

But I've been doing some delving and unearthed The Anglo-Boer War Memorials Project, which is under the auspices of the Victorian Military Society. They have an excellent website that is well worth clicking around, and this link will take you to the survey of the memorials (locations etc): http://www.casus-belli.co.uk/abwmp/Survey/abwmp_-_survey.html. You have to scroll down a long way to find York - memorial erected in 1905 but damaged or destroyed during WW2. So is it still there?? (Or did I skim too quickly?)

Another thought - have you checked out Geograph? It is a project that aims to photograph just about everywhere in Britain and Ireland. And one day I will get round to posting about it under Useful Sources - not now, must get on with other things.

Owl

Pam Downes
11-10-2014, 2:34 PM
Wow, Owl, I wish I had your capacity for searching. |bowdown|

Thank you very much for the link to the Boer War memorials. Interesting to read that the Boer War was responsible for the beginning of war memorials in general.

I found the person whose name I would like checked on FMP, and it says that he's commemorated on the Duncombe Place memorial. I know that some names are listed, but unfortunately the close-up was of someone whose name began with C and not R. :biggrin:

Excellent thought about Geograph as well. There are a couple of photos of the memorial on there, but no close-ups. I did have the bright idea of checking to see of any of the people lived locally to York, but most of those who put in the grid reference live some distance away, e.g. one of them lives in Dorset. I might try some of those who haven't entered a grid reference.

And yes, you did skim too quickly, as the memorial was certainly still there in May 2012 when google street-view visited. Though admittedly it might be the memorial mark II. :smile5:

Thanks again for your input. :flowers:

Pam

thewideeyedowl
11-10-2014, 4:11 PM
|book2| More haste less speed for this Owl, then!

Hope you can find a photo somewhere, Pam.

Must attend to supper and suchlike now.

Owl

thewideeyedowl
11-10-2014, 6:14 PM
Does this help:

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Yorkshire/YorkshireRegtBoerWar.html

Owl