PDA

View Full Version : Norwich Strays

uksearch
07-09-2005, 3:03 PM
Recently I have been engaged on some research of The Manchster Industrial School (Ardwick) For Boys.I have in particular been looking at the Discharge Registers from 1896 to 1906.I was quite gobsmacked to find that there were several who hailed from Norwich.There were a few more from London but most were from Lancashire.

UK

Geoffers
07-09-2005, 5:13 PM
Recently I have been engaged on some research of The Manchster Industrial School (Ardwick) For Boys.I have in particular been looking at the Discharge Registers from 1896 to 1906.I was quite gobsmacked to find that there were several who hailed from NorwichThanks for posting this. I'll add a card to my index with the information. Is the document stored at MCL? Do you have a call reference for it?

To get to be 'gobsmacked' are you talking of 10, 20-ish or more?

(added on editing) - If you're still working on the records and there aren't too many, I don't suppose there's any chance you could happen to jot down the surnames to add to this thread? - pretty please??

Geoffers

uksearch
08-09-2005, 12:56 PM
It's hard to say as I really wasn't looking for them...possibly 10 or more.These records are on film but I think there are others in the Archive.Have a look round at http://www.manchester.gov.uk/libraries/arls/ (http://www.manchester.gov.uk/libraries/arls/)

I will post the names on a piecemeal basis.If there are any of interest I can let you have the full record,but that will take a little more time.The Admission Registers are also here.

UK

Pam Downes
08-09-2005, 2:15 PM
Bingo! Knew I'd seen some census stuff for the school.
http://www.missing-ancestors.com/ALPHABETICAL%20LIST%20OF%20ALL%20SCHOOLS.htm
Ardwick is the last entry before you need to start scrolling.
I know that the census isn't quite the same as the Admissions or Discharge Registers but it will give you some names.

Pam Downes

uksearch
08-09-2005, 2:17 PM
Yes I posted that site on the Institutions forum some time back:D .

UK

Pam Downes
08-09-2005, 2:27 PM
Yes I posted that site on the Institutions forum some time back:D .

Thanks UK. That must have been where I first saw it. Best of it is that I put it in my 'favourites' but forgot I had till I googled this time and then thought 'I've seen that page before'. (Have we got a smilie for 'idiot' yet?)

Pam Downes

Geoffers
08-09-2005, 3:41 PM
It's hard to say as I really wasn't looking for them...possibly 10 or more.These records are on film but I think there are others in the Archive.

Thanks for that and the link

I will post the names on a piecemeal basis.If there are any of interest I can let you have the full record,but that will take a little more time.The Admission Registers are also here.If, and only if, it is no trouble to you, it may help if you could just scribble down the surnames and post them piecemeal.

Thanks

Geoffers

uksearch
09-09-2005, 12:59 PM
It only took a little bit of time to whizz through the film.There are twenty three boys from Norwich who appear in the Discharge Registers. All dob are approx where given: Robert ANDREWS 1884; Herbert J WOOD 1882; George SMITH 1883; Solm CURTIS 1884; Robt NEWBY 1883; Herbert REEVE; Wm PAGE; Edward TILNEY(?); Arthur MOUNCER; Arthur FREEMAN 1886; Alfred MOWER 1887; Walston C LEGGET 1888; William GOLDSMITH 1887; William NASH 1887; John Herbert OSTLER or OSTTER 1887; Frederick BARLEY or BARTLEY 1891; William CLEMENCE; William CHURCHYARD 1889; George James BLAZER 1887; John F ELVIN; Albert James IRELAND 1889; Harry WARNES 1889 and James THOULESS.

UK

Geoffers
09-09-2005, 6:29 PM
This is great for anyone with a mislaid family member from Norwich. Thanks very much for posting the information for us Norfolk dumplings.

Geoffers

uksearch
10-09-2005, 12:44 PM
This is great for anyone with a mislaid family member from Norwich. Thanks very much for posting the information for us Norfolk dumplings.

Geoffers
Your welcome

|cheers|

UK

uksearch
11-09-2005, 2:34 PM
I had cause to look at the records of the Girls' Branch of the MIS which was located at Sale,Cheshire.I came across four girls from Norwich.Florence Barber AGELL b 3 June 1879;Emma POUND b 2 May 1877;Emma CLARKE b13 Aug 1878 and Eliza Ann LEE b 18 Jan 1881.There "holidays" began in either 1890 or 1891.

UK

Wilkes_ml
29-08-2007, 1:44 PM
ESSEX Stisted All Saints Baptisms No.433 6 Aug 1828 Rosa daughter of William & Sarah HERRING Of St. Giles's Norwich Esquire Note: Having Been Already Baptized At Norwich Was This Day Received Into The Church

Not sure why Rosa was being baptised a second time in Stisted Essex!

Michelle

Mythology
29-08-2007, 1:53 PM
Wouldn't like to say for certain without seeing the Norwich record, but my guess from the wording would be that this is what we often find, but usually in one record - a "private" baptism followed by what I usually call a "public" baptism, the latter often being labelled as "received into church" rather than the word "public" being used.

Findem
25-01-2008, 11:53 AM
If there were doubts whether a sickly baby would survive there was a practice to privately baptise the baby. If the child survived there would be another form of baptism when the child was stated as being "received into the church" or "received publicly into the church".

I have several in my family tree and in a couple the fact that the baby was sickly was mentioned in the private baptism entry. I should mention that all of those private baptisms in my tree were in Essex parishes.

There was a time when if a family became Paupers, under the Poor Laws, they would be removed to their village of origin and this accounted for some double baptisms. I have read something along the lines of that some people baptised children twice to facilitate removal to a parish of choice. I may not have this 100% correct but if not I'm sure a more knowledgeable person will correct me. Obviously the Poor Law wasn't the reason in Rosa's case because of the mention in the Stisted PRs of the first baptism in Norwich.

Geoffers
25-01-2008, 12:05 PM
If there were doubts whether a sickly baby would survive there was a practice to privately baptise the baby. If the child survived there would be another form of baptism when the child was stated as being "received into the church" or "received publicly into the church".

The phrases 'admitted into the church' and 'admitted into the congretation' are also used. You don't mention a period for your own examples.

Occasional private baptisms can be found in registers where clerics made additional notes. However, in 1783, the introduction of the Stamp Act appears to have caused a great rise in the numbers of private baptisms and although the legislation only lasted a decade, its effects continued into the 19th century. So, not all private baptisms were of sickly children; it was often just another form of tax avoidance.

Findem
29-01-2008, 3:22 AM
You don't mention a period for your own examples

My gt grandmother Deborah Eve was baptised privately 8 April 1839 and received into the church 15 May 1842 at Great Waltham, Essex.

I do have others of earlier dates but without trawling through all my records can't say what dates etc, Deborah was the first person I came across in my research with a double baptism, which is why I suspect it has stuck in my mind.

Regarding Tax Avoidance, on a similar vein, I read somewhere that there was a time when parents would baptise their children two or more at a time to cut costs, I think that was to save on tax payments, or was it church fees? If it was tax involved I suppose that would be tax minimisation rather than tax avoidance!

Regards.

John & Mon
08-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Helllo There,
If you come across any MILLS from Norwich i would be very interested.