PDA

View Full Version : Looking for my grandfathers records

hayleybalmers
28-09-2014, 8:40 AM
Hello all,

I'm looking for my grandfathers records; Ronald Petersen, he was in the RAF c.1947 (born 1928) and was a corporal (we think) at Wilmslow but his details are not listed. I'm not sure where else to go now.

If anyone could please help me I would be very grateful.

Thanks very much.

Kindest Regards

Hayley

Pam Downes
28-09-2014, 12:25 PM
Hello Hayley,

Welcome to British-Genealogy. :smile5:

Service records for personnel who served in WW2 and later are still held by the MoD.
If your grandfather was the Ronald who died in 1958, then you can apply for his full details without any bother apart from sending a copy of his death certificate and a cheque for thirty quid along with the forms. If he died in 1998, then (as I read it) one of his children (i.e. your mother/father/aunt/uncle) have to sign a certificate of kinship giving you permission to apply for the records. Or they could apply themselves. :smile5: Though as you are a direct descendant, then if you are the oldest living grandchild you will be able to apply in your own name. Check the RAF 'details of kinship' list.
Be prepared for a long wait for the records because everyone is applying.
http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/raf.html

ETA: That 'kinship' form is a little ambiguous. I think you might be able to apply yourself on the basis of simply being a grandchild, not necessarily the eldest.

Pam

hayleybalmers
02-10-2014, 4:18 PM
Thanks so much for your reply Pam. That's such a fantastic help and immensely appreciated.

Kindest Regards

Hayley