PDA

View Full Version : FISHER - Norwich

Dreamer
07-09-2005, 2:44 AM
Looking for any family of Margaret FISHER born about 1792 in Norwich Norfolk according to the 1851 census. She married 1/8/1813 Robert STRONG in Hornsey Middlesex and then moved on to Rotherhithe, where they had seven children.

Trying to locate her parents or any siblings that will give us the next clue.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Pam........NZ

Geoffers
07-09-2005, 9:40 AM
Looking for any family of Margaret FISHER born about 1792 in Norwich Norfolk according to the 1851 census. She married 1/8/1813 Robert STRONG in Hornsey Middlesex
Is that 1st Aug, or Jan 8th? As different people record dates differently, it's better to try and spell the month - just the abbreviaiton is fine, but it helps to avoid confusion when you do contact any family members.

She moved to Middlesex quite early, which makes me wonder if her parents had migrated to Middlesex as well, perhaps when Margaret was a child. Have you tried a search of the 1851 census for any other Fishers born in Norwich or Norfolk? You might strike lucky and find that a parish is mentioned, otherwise it may take a while to find as Norwich had 30+ parishes.

Who were the witnesses to the marriage, any chance they were Fishers too? Did she marry by banns or licence?

The 1851 census for Norfolk shows 155 Fishers living in Norwich but very few Strongs; do you know where Robert was born?

Geoffers

Dreamer
08-09-2005, 9:01 PM
Many thanks for your reply.
The date was 1st August 1813. No I have no idea where Robert was born as he died in June 1849 before they put the places of birth on the census.
I got the information from a film of the Parish of Hornsey. unfortunately all it had was they names, date married and the Parish. I check futher films but could not find any other clues. Yes I did look at the the list of films for the churches in Norwich and admit I didn't know which one to start with.
Margaret birth place was picked up on the 1851 census.
Every clue we have found so far has ended in a brick wall. Not thought of looking for the FISHER's on the 1841 census in Middlesex - have looked in Norwich but there was many and with Margaret not living there to give us a clue it was hard to follow.

Thank you for your ideas and help.

Geoffers
08-09-2005, 10:06 PM
I got the information from a film of the Parish of Hornsey. unfortunately all it had was they names, date married and the Parish.The parish register should give additional information which might possibly hold clues; e.g. if the marriage was by licence, names of witnesses (who are often relatives).

I check futher films but could not find any other clues. Yes I did look at the the list of films for the churches in Norwich and admit I didn't know which one to start with.
As mentioned, a search of the 1851 census for the area may show other Norfolk born Fishers.

Do you know where Margaret's husband was buried? Have the M.I's been transcribed? If there was a family plot, are there any Fishers included or nearby?

Geoffers

Dreamer
09-09-2005, 12:28 PM
Hi Geoffers

Margaret's husband was buried in St Mary's Rotherhithe, the stones are leaning along side the wall - he died of cholera in June 1849, (the death certificate gave no birth date or place, marriage date or place, other than the nurse who was with him at death), along with his youngest daughter Susannah, she also died of cholera. Have an idea that Margaret died some time before 1856, when her two sons and their families sailed for NZ, her daughter and her family sailed in 1865, with her brothers paying passage. In the 1851 census Margaret was in Silver Street as a laundress/pauper, along with her daughter Rosina, who is also missing. The rest of her children I have well documented to present date.

The film I read of the Parish of Hornsey Middlesex was of the Parish cards, written by the minister, and I have been told that is all I will be able to find. There was also a few other STRONG's and a few FISHER's all of which I took a note of the names but at amily sailed in 1865, with her brothers paying passage. In the 1851 census Margaret was in Silver Street as a laundress/pauper, along with her daughter Rosina, who is also missing. The rest of her children I have well documented to present date.

The film I read of the Parish of Hornsey Middlesex was of the Parish cards, written by the minister, and I have been told that is all I will be able to find. There was also a few other STRONG's and a few FISHER's all of which I took a note of the names but at this time they mean nothing to me. At the time of reading the film I was hoping to pick up a link in a birth but it didn't contain many years, especially the ones I was looking for. Have tried to find more films of the parish but unfortunately there is none.

As you can see I have run into brick walls at every turn.

Geoffers
09-09-2005, 6:27 PM
The film I read of the Parish of Hornsey Middlesex was of the Parish cards, written by the minister, and I have been told that is all I will be able to find.
That's most odd, even if the parish registers were destroyed,t here should still be the annual copy made for the Bishop or Archdeacon.

Did Margaret's husband leave a will?

Geoffers

Dreamer
11-09-2005, 8:36 PM
Hi Geoffers

No sorry there is not a will - or at least nothing that we have been able to find. They were all paupers, so really had nothing to write a will about.

Where would I find the record for the Archdeacons? - would there be a film I could view ?

Thanks for your help.

Geoffers
11-09-2005, 8:56 PM
Where would I find the record for the Archdeacons? - would there be a film I could view ?
The local record office for the parish normally keeps the annual copy made of a parish register. The copy is known as either an Archdeacon's Transcript (usually abbreviated to AT), or Bishop's Transcript (BT). In some areas, the return was only made to the Bishop, so you will only find BTs. You may find that the mormons have copied the records onto film and that these are available at one of their record centres.

Geoffers

jeeb
11-09-2005, 8:59 PM
Hi Dreamer,
There is a baptism of Margaret Fisher daughter of Samuel & Susanna Fisher at St. Michaels at Thorn, Norwich. 28 November 1788. As Margaret had a daughter Susanna it could be of interest.
Jeremy.

Dreamer
12-09-2005, 8:59 PM
Hi Geoffers

The film I was reading was from the Morman Church and it is the only one for Hornsey, unfortunately there are no others.

As you can see my brick wall will take some knocking down.

Many thanks for your help.

Dreamer
12-09-2005, 9:04 PM
Hi Jeremy

Many thanks for your help with Margaret's parents. Yes we have found that one before but the only problem is that the Samuel has never been used in the family as a name yet. Susannah has been used many many times. Those parents are sitting quietly on the 'back burner' until we can see if there is a link some where.

Thank you.