PDA

View Full Version : No service number = no records?

Mandie
06-09-2005, 10:37 PM
My partner's Grandad (Eliazer Cuthbert Bell - born 1906) joined the Coldstream Guards c1929 and left c1947. We believe he was in the 2nd battalion. On his wedding certificate his occupation is given as Corporal in Coldstream Guards. When he left it is believed he was a Sergeant. He was a batman for an officer and spent some time at Trent Park. His service number is not known. He died in 1965.

We wrote to the Coldstream Guards at their Regimental Headquarters at Wellington Barracks, Birdcage Walk, London and they initially sent a form which we put all the info we had and then returned it with a cheque for £20. They have just sent back a standard letter saying there are 150,000 files and they cannot tell us any more than what we told them.

Does this mean that we'll never find out if he received any medals? He never claimed them because it was 'just his job', but his children and grandchildren were hoping to know what he had recieved and if any photos existed of him - since they only have one.

Do you think it's worth ringing them up or even hiring a professional genealogist? We've never tried to look for military records before so we don't know if we've broken some military etiquette we were unaware of. [We had copies of all the certificates ready to send to them, but they never requested them.]

Help!

Chasing Caseys
06-09-2005, 10:55 PM
Hello Mandie

You may be better of writing to
Ministry of Defence
Defence Records 2b
Bourne Avenue
Hayes
Middlesex
UB3 1RF
Tel 0208 573 3831

My dads uncles records were obtained from here and not a lot was known about him. They replied with his service history between 1940 1950.

For medals you need to apply to
Army Medal Office
Worcester Road
Droitwich
Worcestershire
WR9 840.

This information is on all correspondence i have. But im sure one of the more experienced members will inform you if my info is wrong !

Or The National Archives at Kew but unless some kind soul on here looked for you given your location you would have to employ a researcher.

Good luck

Tracey

Mandie
07-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Thanks Tracey for the suggestion. I'll let my in-laws know and we can put together letters for them both.

I had a quick glance at the National Archives website and it seems that the records for those dates are with the MOD.

Thanks!

Terry Reeves
07-09-2005, 7:14 PM
For his service record you may wish to try:

Army Personnel Centre
Historical Disclosures
Mailpoint 400
Kentigern House
65 Brown St
Glasgow
G2 8EX

Tel: 0141 224 3515 or 0845 600 9663.

They hold records for officers and soldiers whose regular or reserve service ended between 1921 and 1997. They may require proof of relationship.

Terry Reeves

Mandie
08-09-2005, 9:27 AM
Thanks Terry, for the other address to find. We shall also try that one, and hope we have some success.

fiftiesfury
17-11-2006, 11:07 PM
For his service record you may wish to try:

Army Personnel Centre
Historical Disclosures
Mailpoint 400
Kentigern House
65 Brown St
Glasgow
G2 8EX

Tel: 0141 224 3515 or 0845 600 9663.

They hold records for officers and soldiers whose regular or reserve service ended between 1921 and 1997. They may require proof of relationship.

Terry Reeves

Hi, I'm new to the board and would like to say that although I didn't have my late father's army number and knew very little about his army career, the MOD was very very helpful and although it took a while, they came up trumps. I had to give them proof of relationship but that was all part of the forms they sent me to fill in. Once I had his records, I was able to write to the medal office for his medals. They take pride of place in our home... thought I'd share this with you
Regards
John