PDA

View Full Version : Tracing Will by Beneficiary?

kkboeve
29-08-2014, 8:58 PM
I'm searching for my GG Grandmother's family. She was born Frances Barrett on August 5, 1823 in England (perhaps Devon but I'm not sure). Family stories say she emigrated to Canada with an older sister to escape an unwanted marriage in 1842. Onboard ship, she met my GG Grandfather, Francis Goyen. They were married in Canada and after their son's birth moved to the US. The only possible link I have to her family is that it's said she received remittance checks from her parents' estate until her death in October 1892. Does anyone know of a way to trace these payments back to her family's estate? I would appreciate any guidance. I'm stuck on Frances and can't seem to find another way forward. Thanks!

Megan Roberts
29-08-2014, 9:59 PM
I don't believe that there is any centrally held database identifying inheritance payments, but someone else may know different.

Do you have a copy of her Canadian marriage certificate, and if so does that give any clues about parents, place of origin etc?

Have you found any record of their voyage to Canada, in terms of a shipping list which might identify her sister?

The earliest census in the UK is essentially that taken in 1841. Unfortunately this one has limited information. It lists names, ages - which can be rounded up and down by 5 years; sometime occupations, address, and whether or not the person was born in the County in which the census was taken.

It does not give relationships - husband, wife, child, parent etc. These can only be guessed at.

christanel
29-08-2014, 10:29 PM
Just an observation from the 1860 US census but it won't help with the will. Their first two sons Thomas and William F were born Canada then Sarah A daughter born Ohio c1850 then sons John Goyen c1854 and James Goyen c1858 born Canada. So sometime between 1850 and 1854 they went back to Canada then back to US between 1858 and 1860.

None of their children seem to have a distinctive middle name which may have helped identify Frances' parents.
familysearch.org has the baptism of a Frances Barrett in September 1823 but it is in Cornwall. Why is Devon thought to be a possible birth place?

Christina

kkboeve
29-08-2014, 11:02 PM
The Devon birthplace is just family stories. Though the 1860 census says some of the younger children were born in Canada, the family has always maintained that only my Great-Grandfather Thomas was born in Canada, that the other children were born in the US and the census is wrong. I have not been able to find a marriage certificate in Canada, nor any information on what ship they took to Canada. It's possible she is the Frances Barrett born in Cornwall. I will see if I can follow that lead. Her husband, Francis Goyen was born in Cornwall - he's another of my missing links. There are many Goyens in Cornwall records but none seem to fit with him. He was born March 1, 1820. The family says in St. Agnes but all Francis Goyen baptisms I can find in that parish don't fit with his birth. Thanks for your help.

christanel
29-08-2014, 11:56 PM
Aaaah did a reply then lost it.

Francis Goyen gives his age in 1850 US census as 31 born c1819 then in 1860 age 45 so born c1815. Sobetween 1860 and 1863 when he died age 43? he has lost 6 years. Does anyone have the death certificate for Frances? Gravestone photos?

The censuses are quite clear as to where the children are born with each birthplace written individually not with " or 'doh' marks.
Children are quite likely to think they were born in the first place they remember living although if they needed a birth certificate for any official purpose that would tell them where they were born. I haven't followed the children through the censuses to see where they say they were born.
Where is the evidence that Francis was born in Cornwall? Family stories can be a start to research but need firm evidence to back them up or you could be chasing the wrong family. The marriage certificate for Frances and Francis is definitely needed here.
:smile5:

Christina

Added
William F Goyen's gravestone is an example of wrong ages being recorded. It says born 1850 but he is on the 1850 US census as being 1 year +.

Wilkes_ml
30-08-2014, 5:46 AM
Don't forget that online indexes are incomplete, and in some cases registers have been lost or damaged.

Also, don't forget to check out non-conformisst records and also consider late or adult baptisms. there are plenty of reasons why someone born in Devon doesn't show up in 1823!

edited to say that just because someone is born in Devon, doesn't mean they are baptised in Devon!

pwholt
30-08-2014, 9:37 AM
Ditto Wilkes' comment. Many years were spent looking for a Wiltshire baptism for an Australian transportee. He was eventually found baptised in London aged 15 or so. pwholt

brentor boy
30-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Had you seen the baptism record for Francis Goyen in St Agnes on 24 Dec 1820, son of Frances and Jane? The fact that your Francis was born in March does not preclude a baptism i n December. Perhaps because it was next to Christmas Day, this was the earliest the family had time off work to get together. There is also the baptism of a Francis on 31 Jan 1819, son of Francis and Sarah. I only mention this because of name of your Francis's daughter. Source - Cornwall OPC site.

brentor boy
30-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Baptism of Frances Hockridge Barrett at Boyton, Cornwall, on 14 Sept 1823, daughter of Thomas and Grace. Your couple named first child Thomas.

Father of child listed as "farmer", so possibly of some financial standing.

brentor boy
30-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Cornwall Record Office hold the wills of Thomas Barrett 1827 ( ref AP/B/5646) and Grace Barrett 1833 ( ref AP/B/5818). Perhaps these might hold the answer to your query.

kkboeve
30-08-2014, 2:04 PM
Thank you all for the ideas! I am so glad I joined this group! I'm so used to posting questions online and having them languish for years...it's wonderful to find such an active group of fellow searchers! Thanks again. I'll follow up on your leads!