PDA

View Full Version : Notation at end of Admission entry

thewideeyedowl
14-08-2014, 9:47 AM
Daniel Downer. c1791-1862, served in the Royal Waggon Train in Spain and Portugal during the Peninsular War. He fractured his right scapula when he fell from his horse in about 1811 or 1812 but continued to serve. In 1819 he was discharged and admitted to the Royal Hospital, Chelsea, presumably as an out-pensioner. It looks as if his pension was 6d (a day?? or a week??), but I cannot fully decipher or understand what it says at the end of the entry, after his death is noted:

It looks something like 61,764 over 36, and there is a further symbol/letter immediately to the left (could it be £?). Many of the entries on this page of Admissions have similar notes at the very end, obviously added after the pensioner's death. Does it signify money owed to the estate, e.g. a 36th part of 61,764 (or whatever)? Or does it signify time in some way - again, possibly a 36th part??

I'm hoping that a wise head out there can shed light on it for me.

Incidentally, the link is to the snippet now saved as a .png and on my Google Drive. Haven't tried linking this way before so I'm hoping it will work.

Wings crossed!

Owl

Oh, dear - I don't think this is working. It seems to take you to a Gmail sign-in page. Perhaps I should 'share' the item by 'inviting' BritGen to view it? Not sure how to do this, i.e. what address to use for BritGen. Sorry for making such a muddle of this. I did take a look at PhotoBucket but really did not like it, I'm afraid.

Wilkes_ml
14-08-2014, 10:06 AM
It looks like you have to be a member of Google drive or have an account set up to view it. Have you got a photo bucket or flickr account as that is usually the preferred way to link to digital images.

Wilkes_ml
14-08-2014, 10:09 AM
Even with downloading the google drive programme to my pc, it still says "unable to access" your folder, so I guess you would have to give access to everyone!

thewideeyedowl
14-08-2014, 10:52 AM
I really am very sorry about the dreadful muddle I have got in with this :frown5:. I had tried and tried to upload direct to BritGen direct from my laptop - which I have always been able to do before. BUT, when I tried on Tuesday afternoon I was told by the webpage that I was uploading an invalid file type. BUT I wasn't :frown2:. I tried first with a .jpg/jpeg and then with a .png and kept getting this message. GRRH. (The webpage kept telling me that it must be a .jpg/jpeg, .png or ?? forget the third one.)

Tried again this morning and the same thing happened. I have investigated PhotoBucket but really do not like the look of the site. (Sorry.) I used to have a Flickr account but let it lapse and tried my best to delete it - not sure whether that was ever successful, but I certainly hadn't been up to it until this morning. Tried to find password/remember username etc etc but kept getting nowhere. Perhaps I will have to get a new Flickr account? (BUT I do not really want one, to be honest; all I want to do is upload a little - and quite clear - image direct to this post.)

So does anyone know why a valid file-type is being rejected as an invalid file-type? That is what has been causing all my probs this morning.

Owl

Wilkes_ml
14-08-2014, 12:36 PM
I don't know that much about files and computers, but the only times I've had any problems with anything is when I have maleware on my computer, so it may be worth checking you laptop/pc for maleware etc.

Wilkes_ml
14-08-2014, 12:47 PM
I just had an idea (lightbulb emoticon here) .

If you have "paint" programme (which is under accessories in window 7) then open paint then go to "paste from" and paste your document into paint. then you have the option to "save as" and about 5 different options ( jpg being one of them).

I would re-save the image as a jpg file and give it a new name (i.e. v2) then crop it down a bit and re-save the cropped area as a jpg file under a different name, and see if either of the new files will upload.

thewideeyedowl
14-08-2014, 2:37 PM
Hi Michelle

Many thanks for your suggestions. Really thought taking the 'Paint' route would solve the prob. It hasn't.

I have run a thorough virus scan, but no probs were found. I have had more interminable Windows Updates. I have re-jigged the name of the file I want to upload. I have tried at least three more times to get it up to a post (via the 'Go Advanced' option). Have also tried from the iPad. Have tried with a .jpg and a .png.

The result is always the same. The webpage becomes greyed out, I 'browse' for the file on my laptop. I select it and press 'Upload'. After a time watching the greyed-out screen, I get a message from the webpage that it is an Invalid file-type. It tells me that the only Valid file-types are: .jpg, .png, and - I think - .tiff and .bmp. (Haven't tried in either of those.)

Patience has now run out, I'm afraid. Will ask the Mods to remove the GoogleDrive link above, because it takes you to the sign-in page.

Have just wasted so much time on this today and have now come to the conclusion that it really isn't that important :sad:.

Once again, many many thanks for your suggestions.

Owl

simon
14-08-2014, 7:08 PM
Hi all,

I just wanted to apologise for the problems getting images uploaded directly into posts. I've tested it myself and it failed for me too. It seems that the image upload feature is actually broken, which I wasn't aware of until this thread highlighted it.

Really sorry for the inconvenience, I'll get it fixed as soon as I can.

Thanks, Simon.

thewideeyedowl
14-08-2014, 7:35 PM
Relief to know that. So it wasn't just my stupidity! Many thanks for looking into it, Simon. I might try again tomorrow afternoon, or whenever I next get back on the laptop.

Busy with other things too.

Owl

simon
14-08-2014, 7:41 PM
Relief to know that. So it wasn't just my stupidity!
No no not at all! Looking further into it, it's been broken since Monday. Really sorry for all the frustration it caused!

I believe I have now fixed it. You may need to just close your browser or refresh the page to make it reload with the fixed version.

Just to make sure... here's some fireworks to celebrate!

http://www.british-genealogy.com/extensions/uploads/18ff5f66-fd0e-4b61-9e01-e76558f7a033.jpg

Wilkes_ml
15-08-2014, 1:26 PM
|jumphappy Well done!! But how did I get my images to upload OK? I just copied the image files from photobucket without any problems. At least whatever was broken is fixed again!

thewideeyedowl
15-08-2014, 2:17 PM
Well, here at long long last is the snippet I need help with:

http://www.british-genealogy.com/extensions/uploads/c1623cec-2703-4b07-a907-6b60e8a94dea.png

The TNA reference is: WO120 Piece 53 (Royal Hospital, Chelsea, Pensioner Registers & Service Records) and I accessed it via Ancestry.

BACKGROUND (from #1): Daniel Downer. c1791-1862, served in the Royal Waggon Train in Spain and Portugal during the Peninsular War. He fractured his right scapula when he fell from his horse in about 1811 or 1812 but continued to serve. In 1819 he was discharged and admitted to the Royal Hospital, Chelsea, presumably as an out-pensioner. It looks as if his pension was 6d (a day?? or a week??), but I cannot fully decipher or understand what it says at the end of the entry, after his death is noted (snippet above).

It looks something like 61,764 over 36, and there is a further symbol/letter immediately to the left (could it be £?). Many of the entries on this page of Admissions have similar notes at the very end, obviously added after the pensioner's death. Does it signify money owed to the estate, e.g. a 36th part of 61,764 (or whatever)? Or does it signify time in some way - again, possibly a 36th part??

I'd very very grateful for help and suggestions with this.

And many many thanks to Simon and the techies for getting the photo uploading fixed and working again. Perhaps the uploading feature could/should be checked every day, to make sure it is working?

Owl

Wilkes_ml
15-08-2014, 3:16 PM
I can't find the record on ancestry to be able to zoom in on the last bit . What is the name of the record collection, as there may be an explanation at the beginning of the collection, or The national Archives site may give some info regarding what details were included.

doh sorry I see you already listed the record collection!

thewideeyedowl
15-08-2014, 3:29 PM
Thanks for your great patience with this, Michelle...

Ancestry have somewhat muddied the waters by indexing the chap as "Danl Downer" for this record, and they have also - for some reason that defies logic - added 'Canada' to the title of the record set. (This wrong addition of 'Canada' also got an airing in another thread, but not one of mine.) At TNA, the record set is as described above.

Owl

Wilkes_ml
15-08-2014, 3:57 PM
looking at the other entries, they all seem to have similar numbers but with different letters in front of the top number. I've had a look to see if there is any explanation of what this nomenclature means, but have been unsuccessful. Hopefuly some one with more knowledge of military records will know.

Wilkes_ml
15-08-2014, 4:01 PM
And yes, it was the addition of "Canada that completely threw me! But I found the entry in the end and zoomed in. I would say that the different letters used for the other entries on these pages and others, they range from E, T, what I think is a J, F etc.

thewideeyedowl
15-08-2014, 10:06 PM
Hello, again...

I've been having another fruitless search to try to discover what the notation means. The very first time I read Daniel's entry, I took the indecipherable bit to be 'Febr' (for February, because he died in February). Then on looking more closely, and trying to read the others on the page, I more than half decided that the 'capital F' was in fact a '£' symbol. But they don't all have exactly that symbol, as you noted.

A further complication is that we are comparing the handwriting of different people (I think), because the end notes are made after a pensioner has died, i.e. written by different clerks in different years.

So - just don't know, but think it is something to do with a proportion (just over a third) of money or of time.

Many many thanks for your help, Michelle, and for sticking with it after the tribulations of yesterday.

Off to roost.

Owl