PDA

View Full Version : Arrestant-what does it mean?

Bellacasa
06-08-2014, 7:10 AM
According to the 1911 census for Liverpool UK one of my ancestors Frederick William Bellhouse (born about 1858) living at 50 Plattsville Road Mosley Hill in 1911 has occupation as an 'Arrestant Sept 1 Clan' Have had a look at several sites for old /unusual occupations but can find nothing. Was he something like a special constable or bailiff? any information

Peter Goodey
06-08-2014, 7:24 AM
has occupation as an 'Arrestant Sept 1 Clan'

Is that what it looks like to you?

I think it says "Assistant Supt. 1st Class" in the "Civil Service (Postal Telegraph)"

Peter Goodey
06-08-2014, 8:04 AM
In 1881 he was a Telegraphic Clerk 3rd Class
In 1891 his occupation was "Civil Service 1st Class Telegraphist"
and in 1901 Postal Telegraph Clerk

A bit of a pattern emerging there, wouldn't you say? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

It may also be worth looking at the postal service records on Ancestry and in the London Gazette.

Bellacasa
06-08-2014, 1:54 PM
Dear Peter That's brilliant - I only have a typed transcript and it now seems that a mistake was made when it was transcribed . You are obviously right - he didn't change occupations at all. Thank you, I have been baffled and now when you lay it out like that its so logical. Grateful thanks Bellacasa.

Peter Goodey
07-08-2014, 5:30 AM
What you quoted was precisely what the Ancestry transcription says. But we should treat the transcription wherever possible as just an index to help us find the original document. There's nothing to beat the original document which is where we should get our information from.

Bellacasa
07-08-2014, 10:52 AM
Dear Peter , Its an important lesson and lucky that I learnt it so early on in my searching- I have already found two possible errors - one where Bellhouse has morphed in Beelhouse- and I am pretty sure its the same person. Another my aunt Bessie appears as Dessie on a death certificate transcript. If anything it has taught me to be more discerning - I think the copperplate handwriting- may have been too difficult for the person transcribing it to read. As it was similar to my mother's writing I had no such problem when I took your advice and viewed it. Thank you once again.