PDA

View Full Version : Burials at Bunhill Fields and the Guildhall Library.

Ed McKie
04-09-2005, 8:26 AM
I dont know if anyone has looked at the records of the Burials at Bunhill Fields at the Guildhall Library but here goes.

A few years ago on a visit I made a photocopy of the burial in Bunhill Fields of my wifes ancestor Thomas Hall, Birdstuffer of City Road and his daughter.
This included burial site, date, sums paid etc. There was also a name with each entry and on those I was interested in it said "Edward Selby, Leonard Street."
To my shame I did not note if this was the undertaker or the officiating (presumably)Methodist Minister. Does anyone know ?

Cheers..Ed

Pam Downes
04-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Hi Ed,

What year was it, as we could possibly search the London directories for Edward Selby undertaker of Leonard Street.

Pam Downes

Pam Downes
04-09-2005, 12:30 PM
Hi Ed,
Forget last question.
Pigot & Co 1839 Directory of London, as published on CD by Archive CD Books (http://www.parishchest.com/en-gb/dept_686.html)
Undertaker - Edward Selby, 52 Leonard Street Finsbury.
His entry is marked with an asterisk which means that he is also a 'furnishing undertaker'.
http://www.victorianlondon.org/cassells/cassells-35.htm
and scroll down to 'Death in the household II'.
(Going to bookmark this one as a quick glance at part III also seems very interesting.)

Pam Downes

Mythology
04-09-2005, 1:37 PM
Yes, that'll be right.

The Guildhall Library listing starts by saying:
"Interment order books, arranged by date on which order for interment was given, and recording names, ages and dates of burial of deceased, places from which bodies were brought, and undertakers' names and addresses, 1789-1854, as follows:"
[The list of references for the various years follows]

Incidentally, note the description of them as "Interment order books" - these are not the same thing as the burial registers, which they do not have at the Guildhall Library. The burial registers are at Kew (PRO/TNA), also available on film at the FRC.

Ed McKie
05-09-2005, 12:10 AM
Thanks for that Pam.

Mythology as usual everything at your fingertips :-)

Sadly Kew is beyond my reach these days, but thanks anyway.

Cheers..Ed

Mythology
09-10-2005, 8:34 PM
Ed, is your Thomas Hall the one who fell over in 1838, aged 58?

Ed McKie
09-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Mythology- yes that is the guy. We have quite a lot of info on him except being sure about his birth/baptism. From his age at death he should have been born in 1780, presumably in St. Lukes. Thomas was a birdstuffer at 10 City road, a business which had been there for many years and established by another Thomas. However the only 1780 entry for St. Lukes which fits, the father is a watchmaker. So we are reluctant to accept this entry, unless of course the other bird stuffing Thomas was the grandfather.

Cheers..Ed

Mythology
09-10-2005, 11:30 PM
I thought that might be the fellow.

Nothing earth-shattering, won't help with the earlier problem I'm afraid, but I have the page from the burial register - watch your e-mail later. :)