PDA

View Full Version : LEWIS's - Limehouse ?

Dreamer
03-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Hi everyone

Still trying to knock down brick walls. Has anyone got this family in their tree, especially George's parent or siblings ?

George LEWIS born abt 1831 - according to his death certificate Limehouse England.

Married Sarah STRONG about 1853 - Limehouse or Rothehithe ?

George and Sarah left England in 1865 for NZ with their five daughters, a son was born in NZ, also twins (son and daughter).

Can any one help me knock the brick wall down?

Chasing Caseys
03-09-2005, 10:46 PM
Hello Dreamer

Sorry i cant help you but if you do a search put Rotherhithe not Rothehithe. I looked them up on 1861 census and it clearly says Rotherhithe - just a note in case it hinders your searches ! Have you done a search on Strong born in Rotherhithe ? there are only about 10 ( on 1861 census) maybe some of the names may ring a bell or help. I dont know your location but Rotherhithe is sort of opposite Limehouse - just a small river in between ! - which has some fab riverside pub restuarants and arts and crafts - now !

If you want me to paste all the name Strong born Rotherhithe i will but wont now incase you have already found them but give me a shout if you think it may help

If anyone on here has access to 1841 census it may give you your answers so maybe worth a post in another forum.
Good luck
Tracey

ps just noticed you have this going on in another posting so i will leave this as it is

Trish
04-09-2005, 2:53 PM
...ps just noticed you have this going on in another posting so i will leave this as it is...Thanks, Tracey. To avoid duplication of effort, see the STRONG thread for George and Sarah LEWIS in the 1861 census.

Trish

Chasing Caseys
04-09-2005, 2:57 PM
Hello Trish

I did put a ps on the bottom of my note saying i wouldnt add any more to it because i didnt see when replying there was another posting. I do wish the questions would stay in one place !

Many thanks for the warning
Tracey

Trish
04-09-2005, 3:03 PM
Pam.

A possibility for George LEWIS's father -- from the 1861 census:

Address: Work St. 3x, Poplar, Middlesex
George A. LEWIS Head Widowr 63 Shipwright born Surry [sic] Rotherhithe
Mary A. LEWIS Dau 30 born Middlesex Poplar
James E. LEWIS Son 23 Shipwright born ditto
Emma L. DRISCOLL Granddaughter 5 Scholar born Middlesex Stepney

Reference:RG9/307 Folio 34 Page 24

HTH,
Trish

Trish
04-09-2005, 3:07 PM
Hello Trish

I did put a ps on the bottom of my note saying i wouldnt add any more to it because i didnt see when replying there was another posting. I do wish the questions would stay in one place !

Many thanks for the warning
Tracey I know, I know -- I saw your ps. Your information about Rotherhithe really helped with the other posting so thank you!

Trish