PDA

View Full Version : Wakelings in Essex

Essexgirl
03-09-2005, 8:07 PM
Hi. I'm a new member. I thought I'd introduce myself and see if anyone else is researching my family. I am most interested in WAKELINGS around the county of Essex. I am descended from William Curtis WAKELING (born Hatfield Peverel 1899) and Zachariah Matthew WAKELING (born Finchingfield 1869) but I am finding the research a bit difficult as my family moved regularly looking for work, mostly as agricultural labourers, and never stayed still for long. Along the way we are related by marriage to SMOOTHY, EMBERSON and GOSLING, again all in various parts of Essex.
If anyone recognises these names I would be very interested, and may have info to share with you.
Essexgirl
(and proud of it)

Geoffers
03-09-2005, 9:28 PM
Hi. I'm a new member. I thought I'd introduce myself and see if anyone else is researching my family. I am most interested in WAKELINGS around the county of Essex.
Sorry, no relation, but have you tried the online list of surname interests?
www.
essexsurnames-ashuttle.co.uk/

Geoffers

Wirral
04-09-2005, 7:54 PM
Hi Essexgirl
No connection to Essex, other than the wife of my g,g,g,grandfather's brother, but time on my hands! Do you have the families in any of the censuses?
Zachariah's parents were probably Zachariah & Martha, according to the 1861 & 1871 census (there is a 1 year old Zachariah M. ). From the 1841 census, his grandparents were possibly William & Mary b. abt 1800, living in Great Braxted, Essex.

Essexgirl
06-09-2005, 6:47 PM
Hi Wirral
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes you are right. Williams Curtis's parents were Zachariah Matthew WAKELING and (Harriet) Martha (nee EMBERSON) and Zachariah's parents were Zachariah and Martha (nee SMOOTHY.) I believe Zachariah senior's father was called William, but because the family was rather fond of the name William (and still is) I had never quite proved that Mary was the correct wife for my ggg grandad. Thankyou for that!

Essexgirl
(and proud of it)

Lizziejane
21-08-2009, 1:11 PM
Hi Essexgirl

I am sitting in work waiting for the time to go! so thought I would have a look on the forum I entered Gosling in the search as i have no paper work with me its all at home of course! and came across your entry I know it was along while ago but I am researching the name Gosling in Essex around Kirby-le-soken area
joshua, and his daughter Maryann I know Maryann married a Robert Grimsey
and have since found out quite a bit about joshua do these names appear on your tree

Regards
lizziejane

Jeuel
13-08-2010, 7:41 PM
Martha nee Smoothy - have you got dates for her, did she come from Chelmsford area? If so we have a connection!

Carol64
05-05-2011, 9:33 AM
Hi Essex Girl,
the Essex Wakelings I would like to trace I think lived in ( Leighton Gdns, Tilbury Essex, the name Phylis Wakeling and any relatives would be very important to me. It would be nice if you could help me
Kind regards
Cas

Mutley
05-05-2011, 5:31 PM
Essexgirl has not visited the forum for some time, however, her membership is still active so she may return if she receives notification of posts on this thread.

Please do remember that any information regarding living relatives should be sent by the PM system.

Good Luck All.

Carol64
09-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks Mutley. Cas