PDA

View Full Version : Jacobsen, Brown, Ladbrooke, Hodges & more

normaaw
14-07-2014, 9:04 AM
Have just become aware of this website and the fact that there is a book about assisted passages from the UK to South Africa in the second half of the 19th century. I believe my great, great grandparents went to South Africa on assisted passages, some time after 1852. Thomas and Sarah Wall. Sarah was Sarah Chambers before marriage. They had at least one child, Jane, my great grandmother who married Ole Jacobsen who was born in Tromso, Norway and he was my great grandfather on my paternal side.
Would be grateful for any information or assistance.
Thanks

Sue Mackay
14-07-2014, 11:36 AM
Hallo Norma, and welcome to BG. Your ancestors indeed appear to be listed in "Aided Immigration from Britain to South Africa 1857-1867" by Esme Bull. They sailed on the Rajastan, which left Southampton on 27 March 1861 and arrived in Port Elizabeth on the 29 June.

Thomas WALL 36 Labourer
Sarah WALL 35 Monthly Nurse
Jane WALL 8

No place of origin is given but they were travelling to Mr. WEDDERBURN in Grahamstown.

Have a look at the "sticky" on South African research here (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php/21140-On-Line-Sources-for-South-African-Genealogy)

Sue Mackay
14-07-2014, 11:55 AM
There is a photograph of Ole and Jane JACOBSEN's grave on the eggsa site here (http://www.eggsa.org/library/main.php?g2_itemId=1806490).

Sue Mackay
14-07-2014, 12:11 PM
You can get a copy of Ole Jacobsen's death notice. Below is the reference from NAAIRS (http://www.national.archives.gov.za/)

DEPOT NAB
SOURCE MSCE
TYPE LEER
VOLUME_NO 0
SYSTEM 01
REFERENCE 8901/1923
PART 1
DESCRIPTION JACOBSEN, OLE .(S/S JANE, BORN WALL).
STARTING 1923
ENDING 1924

NAB stands for Natal Archives, so you can order a copy at very low cost from www.eggsa.org to be e-mailed to you. Follow the instructions under FAQ listed under Document Ordering on their home page.

normaaw
14-07-2014, 7:08 PM
Thank you so much, the data agrees with the dates I have. I feel like I have found gold in your forum!

geneius
14-07-2014, 7:31 PM
Looks like the couple Thomas WALL & Sarah CHAMBERS married 1848 Clerkenwell 3 82 ( freebmd.org.uk)

normaaw
14-07-2014, 7:36 PM
Thank you so much. That will certainly help. I think I have arrived at a place in my research where I realise how little I know!

Sue Mackay
14-07-2014, 8:07 PM
The marriage is amongst the London Metropolitan Archives marriages online. It took place on 4 December 1848 in St.John's, Clerkenwell. Thomas WALL was a plumber's labourer, son of Henry WALL, watchmaker. Sarah CHAMBERS was the daughter of Thomas CHAMBERS, Shoemaker. Both bride and groom gave their address as Frying Pan Alley, and both made their mark.

Jane WALL was baptised in St.James, Clerkenwell on 16th August 1852 (born 26 May 1852) at 6 Yates Street.

normaaw
14-07-2014, 9:18 PM
I cannot believe how much others have been able to help me today. After months/years of searching data on Jane Jacobsen, born Wall, my great grandmother is becoming a real person! Thank you.

geneius
15-07-2014, 6:59 AM
Let us know what else you are looking for, as you have found there is a wealth of experience on the forum & pooled knowledge gets the results!!

normaaw
15-07-2014, 7:08 AM
I am embarrassed to ask for more, and there is plenty I need help with!

Sue Mackay
15-07-2014, 7:32 AM
I am embarrassed to ask for more, and there is plenty I need help with!

NEVER be embarrassed to ask for help on British Genealogy - pooling resources and helping each other is what this forum is all about. One day someone will ask a question to which YOU have the answer and you will get a kick out of being able to help.

geneius
15-07-2014, 7:55 AM
And I can name members of the forum who thrive on helping solve other people's brickwalls!

In fact some of us get withdrawal symptoms and go into a decline if there isn't a challenge for us on the forum......

Each one of us has a different approach to the problem, different resources available and some ti mes come up with the most bizarre ideas that prove to be the right answer!!!

We will also advise you where we found the info such as freebmd.org.uk as its name suggests a free to use resource....