PDA

View Full Version : how do i locate my birth mother

Jane Skidmore
03-09-2005, 5:37 PM
i was born in Shropshire in 1950, i was adopted, no, contact from birth mother, her name is MAY CURRY.

Geoffers
03-09-2005, 8:43 PM
i was born in Shropshire in 1950, i was adopted, no, contact from birth mother, her name is MAY CURRY.Hello
First place to look for information is the GRO (General Register Office) web-site. This includes specific advice on how to apply for a copy of your birth certificate
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/adoptions/
I understand from a friend that the procedure is quite lengthy.

With the birth certificate, you can find if a father's name is recorded and proceed to try and trace the family from there.

continued......

Geoffers
03-09-2005, 8:53 PM
part 2........

Let's assume that you just have a mother's name, birthplace and name and residence of informant and nowt else. Does the adoption agency have any records to help?

Check a directory to see who was shown as living at the address of the informant. Does this person also have the name CURRY? Is it Mary's husband or father?

Try to see if you can find a marriage for Mary CURRY in the GRO marriage index.
If you can obtain a marriage certificate for her, it should hopefully record her father's name and occupation, also Mary Curry's age. With this you can trace her birth certificate and so her parents' marriage certificate. I know that this is taking you back in time and not what you want, but bear with me.

continued....

Geoffers
03-09-2005, 9:00 PM
part 3.......

If you have a marriage certificate for Mary's parents, it will include the parents' ages which you can use to make a rough initial guess as to when they may have died; e.g. if Mary was born about 1932 and her parents married in 1930 aged 20 - one or both may still be alive, or have died recently. If Mary's parents were married in 1910 aged 30, they may well have died in the 1950's.

Using your best guess and the names you possess, now check the index to wills (this has been copied onto microfilm and can be seen at many local studies libraries and reocrd offices - 'phone your nearest to see what they hold).

continued.......

Geoffers
03-09-2005, 9:43 PM
part 4.......

Wills - even just the index - can be a goldmine of information. Naming family (inlcuing married names), relationships and addresses. If you have a grandfather who died in the 1980's, you have an address for him which is only 20 years out of date. Check electoral rolls, directories, phone books for any names in the will. Does anyone living at the address, or in the area, know of the people who used to live there?

It's a process which takes time and which may involve having to take a step sideways in order to move forward. I believe though that the initiages which you can use to make a rough initial guess as to when they may have died; e.g. if Mary was born about 1932 and her parents married in 1930 aged 20 - one or both may still be alive, or have died recently. If Mary's parents were married in 1910 aged 30, they may well have died in the 1950's.

I hope that makes sense, but if not please ask
Good luck
Geoffers

Jane Skidmore
03-09-2005, 11:16 PM
i was born in Shropshire in 1950, i was adopted, no, contact from birth mother, her name is MAY CURRY.
Thank you for the information. I, will deal with it shortly.
I, think, I have got it wrong. Mothers' married name is Skidmore, her maiden name was Curry. thank you..Jane

Jane Skidmore
03-09-2005, 11:18 PM
Mother was employed at The Sandford Hotel, Church Stretton, Shropshire as
a cook/chamber maid., that was the address put on the birth certificate.
thank you. Jane

Chasing Caseys
03-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Hello Jane

I have no idea of what it may be like for you trying to trace your birth mother and i wish you a huge amount of luck in finding her. I am sure you have looked on the web for sites but i did find this as it rung a bell from a tv programme http://www.ukbirth-adoptionregister.com/ I think even the missing persons help line puts people in touch who have been adopted ( though not 100 % sure but no harm in asking )http://www.missingpersons.org/looking.asp.
Hope i havent offended by putting these web addresses on

I sincerely hope you find her and all works out

Tracey

Pam Downes
04-09-2005, 3:59 AM
Hi Jane,
I was going to recommend that you use Traceline, part of the GRO, but it seems that they can't help in adoption cases. But, they might be willing to tell you the basic information of whether your birth mother is still alive or has, sadly, died.
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/research/traceline/whofind.asp
If you click on 'how do I start a search' on the right-hand side of the page, there's a phone number and they'll be able to say whether that basic info would be released to you.
And, as always, Geoffers has given solid advice to how to get a head start by finding information for yourself, though you sound as if you already have your original birth certificate. If your mother's surname says 'Skidmore formerly Curry' then it should mean that she was married. It might be worth having a read of
http://www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates/births.htm#COL4
regarding the inclusion or omission of a father's name.
Remember when looking for a marriage certificate to look in the same quarter as your birth was registered.

Good luck.

Pam Downes

Geoffers
04-09-2005, 8:43 PM
Mothers' married name is Skidmore, her maiden name was Curry
Hello again Jane.
Am I correct in assuming that both these names appear in your birth certificate - thus implying that your mum was married when you were born?

If so, it will take a couple of hours to do so, but try working through the GRO births index to see if any other SKIDMOREs are recorded with a mother's maiden name of CURRY - this may show if you have any siblings, or even a twin?! I'd suggest searching the period 1940-1960.

Is the Sandford Hotel at Church Stretton still in business? It's unlikely, but do they have any records from this period?

Geoffers

lizzee66
11-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Hi Jane, Do you have any information who handled your adoption ? Which agency or society etc ? If you do that is always a good place to start, In my own experience I found them to be very approachable and sympathetic to what it was I was trying to do. I would also strongly suggest that you use some sort of intermediary person when you do find her. Other than that all the previous emails are good sound advice, but it could take you a while. If on the other hand you can go through any agency or society it could be a lot quicker. Good luck and keep at it, I know that one day you will find her. Lizz.

Helen Jane Skidmore
19-07-2007, 8:33 PM
Hi Jane

My name is Helen Jane Skidmore, there are too many similarities between your mother and my Grandmother for it not to be the same person. My Grandmother was May Skidmore (nee Curry) who moved to Shropshire around 1949 until the mid to late sixties.

I would love you to get intouch, please e-mail me privately and I will give you my contact details.

Regards
Helen

Chisel
02-01-2008, 8:14 AM
Hi Helen & Jane I have just read your reply and would love to know if you made contact with each other.
I too found I had a half brother & sister 45 years on. I was luck that that the mother had an unusual set of 1st names so was able to track her remarriage & turn up on her door step one day :) surprise! I was lucky to meet my sister & her family who was open to communication

Helen Jane Skidmore
02-01-2008, 7:43 PM
Hi Chisel

It's Helen here. No, unfortunately we haven't connected yet - but I'm living in hope!! I have now contacted the 'After Adoption' agency who are taking up the search for Jane post adoption - unless she reads my updates on BG and contacts me herself.

Jane, if you do read this and are having trouble contacting me, I am weary of putting my e-mail address on a public site, but I have a family tree on genes reunited, if you build your own tree with your pre-adoption name and date of birth, May Curry (b. 19 May 1908) as your mother, and my details, we should get a 'hotmatch' and would be able to make contact.

Thank you for your interest Chisel and I'll let you know if we do make contact.

Kind regards
Helen

Chisel
03-01-2008, 12:21 AM
I have my fingers crossed for you. Very best of luck

SBSFamilyhistory
03-01-2008, 8:59 AM
Good Luck Helen, it may be that finding a relation on here has thrown her and she is having to have time to adjust to this and come to terms with what has happened. I hope she contacts you though as you will probably be able to answer the questions she is wanting to ask. She may also be scared of the answers you may give her.

Sue

Rallyreg
03-01-2008, 12:53 PM
If you are trying to find your mother in the hope of contacting her, then the first place you should go, is to the Social Services Adoptions dept., with copies of your birth & Adoption certificates. They can try to trace your mother and if found will contact her to see if she is prepaired to see you and then make arrangements for you both to meet at one of their offices. The Salvation Army also runs a simular service

SBSFamilyhistory
03-01-2008, 1:06 PM
If you are trying to find your mother in the hope of contacting her, then the first place you should go, is to the Social Services Adoptions dept., with copies of your birth & Adoption certificates. They can try to trace your mother and if found will contact her to see if she is prepaired to see you and then make arrangements for you both to meet at one of their offices. The Salvation Army also runs a simular service

It would appear that Helen is Jane's neice and Helen may be able to ask her grandmother(if alive) if she would like to have contact with Jane. The thought of rejection may also be putting Jane off responding to Helen.

Helen have you asked, if you can, your grandmother if she would like to have contact with Jane if Jane turns out to be her daughter. Knowing she would may prompt Jane to reply to your post.

Helen Jane Skidmore
03-01-2008, 5:17 PM
Hi

Unfortunately, asking my Grandmother details about Jane is no longer possible.

Jane, if you do read this, it is your decision whether you get in touch, there is no pressure - but we would welcome the contact.

Regards
Helen

bimbadeen
04-01-2008, 5:55 PM
Jane also have a look at my post under I think do we have the right to know adoptions ..some useful information re how you can trace your mother

good luck

bimbadeen

SBSFamilyhistory
14-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Hi Jane

My name is Helen Jane Skidmore, there are too many similarities between your mother and my Grandmother for it not to be the same person. My Grandmother was May Skidmore (nee Curry) who moved to Shropshire around 1949 until the mid to late sixties.

I would love you to get intouch, please e-mail me privately and I will give you my contact details.

Regards
Helen

Helen I am surprised that nobody has spotted the other woman who is looking for Jane, her name is Janet Skidmore, user name cherubsweetie. I don't know if you know who she is but it apeears that you, Jane nad her are related. have you heard from Jane yet?

Helen Jane Skidmore
14-01-2008, 7:46 PM
Hi

Yes, Janet and I are looking for the same Jane Skidmore. Janet is my cousin.

No, we haven't heard from Jane yet.

Regards
Helen

gemma hayden
14-01-2008, 8:12 PM
Hi jane my name is Gemma like you I'm looking for my birth mother so may i recommend this site, afteradoption.org.uk they linked me to the soceity who ran the Mother&Baby home where i was born, & the same soceity oversaw my adoption whatsmore they still have records. this site is so helpful. here you can talk to other adoptees They also have a Actline line no 0800 0 568 578 Jane I've been searching for years this site gave me what i needed in seconds don't give up Good Luck&God Bless Gemma

v.wells
14-01-2008, 8:24 PM
Hi

Yes, Janet and I are looking for the same Jane Skidmore. Janet is my cousin.

No, we haven't heard from Jane yet.

Regards
Helen

Why don't you just pm each other with this very personal information?

Pam Downes
14-01-2008, 9:32 PM
It would seem that sadly Jane Skidmore, the OP to this thread, is no longer a forum member. There is no 'status' e.g. China star member under her name, and you cannot click on her name for any further details.
Pam