PDA

View Full Version : Charge of the Light Brigade member?

S Williamson
05-07-2014, 4:43 PM
This has probably been posted a million times but...

My 3X great grandfather James Hiram Williamson was born ~1819 or 1838--have conflicting information...his death record states his birthdate as 1819-filled out by his wife.
Minwhile his US Natrualzation index card states his birthdate as 25 March 1838 in England.

But i know he was in Waltham, MA, USA in atleast 1865 because its when he got married. And he died in Waltham on 22 Nov 1903.

I Googled "James Williamson death Waltham Massachusetts 1903" and found a snippet of a book, American Primary Teacher, Vol 27, published 1903, where the author says "We have been reminded recently of the poem the charge of the light brigade....the other day Hiram Williamson died in Waltham, Massachusetts. As far as is known he is the only man in America who was in that battle." It also says in another snippet that he went to fight in the Civil War in 15 battles.

I also came across a newspaper article that said:
Member of the Light Brigade
WALTHAM, Ma--nov 23- james Hiram Wilkinson, said to be the last survivor in the United States of the famous charge of the light brigade at baklava died in his home in this city last night at age 84. Wilkinson was a possessor of a Victorian metal given to him personally and by Queen Victoria."

So what do i do now?

Lesley Robertson
05-07-2014, 6:46 PM
Have found him in any census?

Lesley Robertson
05-07-2014, 7:44 PM
Do you know the names of his parents or siblings? There's a James H Williamson age 7 in the 1841 census for Clerkenwell, Middlesex, England. Parents James & Isabella. Sibs Isabella, Alexander & Alfred. In the 1951, Isabella, Alfred & James are with father James and a different wife, Mary Louisa in Southampton. Dad's a mariner.

almach
05-07-2014, 7:46 PM
Possibly you have details for two different chaps.

The 1880 census for Massachusetts has:
Hiram Williamson born 1827, wife Mary E, living - Leicester, Worcester, Massachusetts.
Hiram Williamson born 1837, wife Jenny E, living - Watertown, Middlesex, Massachusetts

Pam Downes
05-07-2014, 8:48 PM
This has probably been posted a million times but...

My 3X great grandfather James Hiram Williamson was born ~1819 or 1838--have conflicting information...his death record states his birthdate as 1819-filled out by his wife.
Minwhile his US Natrualzation index card states his birthdate as 25 March 1838 in England.
The difference in years could mean a different generation, or almost certainly a different person with the same name. You can have what you think is a very unique name and are then shocked when you find that it isn't. :smile5: (Got the T-shirt for that one.)

But i know he was in Waltham, MA, USA in atleast 1865 because its when he got married. And he died in Waltham on 22 Nov 1903.

Do you have, or can you get, a copy of his marriage certificate? I don't know if a certificate from those days would give ages, names of parents, etc

I Googled "James Williamson death Waltham Massachusetts 1903" and found a snippet of a book, American Primary Teacher, Vol 27, published 1903, where the author says "We have been reminded recently of the poem the charge of the light brigade....the other day Hiram Williamson died in Waltham, Massachusetts. As far as is known he is the only man in America who was in that battle." It also says in another snippet that he went to fight in the Civil War in 15 battles.

I also came across a newspaper article that said:
Member of the Light Brigade
WALTHAM, Ma--nov 23- james Hiram Wilkinson, said to be the last survivor in the United States of the famous charge of the light brigade at baklava died in his home in this city last night at age 84. Wilkinson was a possessor of a Victorian metal given to him personally and by Queen Victoria."

So what do i do now?
I presume that the newspaper article was dated 1903, which would make James born c1819.
Meaning he would be 35 at the time of the charge of the Light Brigade, and 42 at the start of the Civil War. I would have thought 42+ perhaps a little old for a soldier, though as a 'veteran' his fighting knowledge would have been useful.

Certainly conflicting information.

Pam

almach
05-07-2014, 8:59 PM
Do you have, or can you get, a copy of his marriage certificate? I don't know if a certificate from those days would give ages, names of parents, etc

If I've found the right marriage, these are the details:
Hiram Williamson born abt 1837, England, Married 20 Sep 1865, at Waltham, Massachusetts, USA
Age 28, Father Hiram, Mother Elisabeth[sic]
Spouse Jennie E Holbrook, age 18, born Waltham, Father Solemen[sic], Mother Mary

simmo1
05-07-2014, 9:03 PM
Hi

You really need his service number, which would be on the medal.
Goggling his name and charge of the light brigade did bring up a few newspaper articles as you have above.
Looking on the medal rolls on Ancestry for the Crimean War, there are 7 James Wilkinson's (no Hiram) , none have middle names and none are in the right regiment, it has to be one of these mentioned here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_of_the_Light_Brigade
There is however this chap-

Name:
James Walkinson

Campaign or Service:
Crimean War

Service Date:
1854-1855

Service Location:
Crimea

Regiment or Unit Name:
13th Light Dragoons

Regimental Number:

Could be a mis-spelling in the original record?
I am not sure about the personal awarding of the medal by Queen Victoria either.

regards

Robert

almach
05-07-2014, 9:07 PM
There was a Hiram and Elizabeth having children christened in Manchester, but I don't see a son James Hiram.

James William, 8 April 1827, Sarah Ann, 20 March 1825.

simmo1
05-07-2014, 9:10 PM
Hi Sorry start again, I misread the last name, or is it right?
What is correct, Wilkinson or Williamson?
Only James Williamson's in the medal rolls and none in the right regiments.
Still need the medal to confirm things.

regards

Robert

almach
05-07-2014, 9:37 PM
What is correct, Wilkinson or Williamson?

That confused me too. I went with Williamson as the name most mentioned.

almach
05-07-2014, 9:42 PM
Hiram Williamson born abt 1837, England, Married 20 Sep 1865, at Waltham, Massachusetts, USA
Spouse Jennie E Holbrook, age 18, born Waltham, Father Solemen[sic], Mother Mary

The 1903 death record has some conflicting info, so are either of these records correct?

Hiram A Williamson, born abt 1819, Manchester England, Death Date: 22 Nov 1903, Place: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Age at Death: 84, Father James H A, Mother Mary

almach
05-07-2014, 9:46 PM
Need more info from you please, S Williamson. The name of his son from whom you've worked back, his DOB etc, and other children born to Hiram James Aliff Williamson. Also can you confirm his wife's name and give any other family info relevant to the search. Thanks.

S Williamson
05-07-2014, 10:54 PM
I am looking for WILLIAMSON as far as i know.

That is the death record and marriage record i have. The death record was filled out by his wife and you would think she would notice if her husband is 19? Years older!?
The Hiram Williamson in US federal Cencus in 1880 birthdate about 1837 is the one i have been lookng at. He is listed in the 1870 US cencus as H Williamson with wife Jenny in Watertown, MA.

On his son Franks birth record it lists James Hiram Williamson parents as Hiram and Eizabeth.

So family:
Wife: Eliza Jane "Jennie" Holbrook b. 2 Sept 1848 in Waltham, died 7 Jan 1925 in Waltham.

His son who i am sure of is:
*Fred H A WILLIAMSON
B. 30 Aug 1870 in Waltham
D. 14 May 1938 in Waltham, married Bernice Tufts in Nashua New Hampshire in 1895.

*Frank Lafeyette Williamson
B. 10 July 1875 in Carver, MA
D. 27 oct 1888 in Waltham, MA

*Edward Williamson
B. 27 aug 1880 in Watertown, MA
D. 1972 in Lexiton, MA married Mary L Riley on 5 sept 1900

I have not looked for him in any British census because i dont have acess to those records right now--and with the conflicting birthdates i wouldnt even know where to begin.

Thank you for your replies!!

almach
05-07-2014, 11:08 PM
OK, so you know the marriage record is correct, yes?

If the marriage record is the right one, I think it possible the death record is for a different chap. Marriage: Mother Elizabeth. Death: Mother Mary. DOB differs by 18yrs. The death record states his occupation was P.O Clerk, and his wife was Mrs H A Williamson. Seems like two different people to me!

The 1903 death record has some conflicting info, so are either of these records correct?

Hiram A Williamson, born abt 1819, Manchester England, Death Date: 22 Nov 1903, Place: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Age at Death: 84, Father James H A, Mother Mary

S Williamson
06-07-2014, 12:10 AM

In most of the US Records he is listed as Hiram Williamson.

I have been going by the marriage record.
Its just the Death Record that doesnt fit...:prrr:

I found his US Naturalzation card and it lists his birthdate as 25 March 1838, address 185 Chestnut in Waltham, MA.

I have traced him through the Waltham City Directories from 1870-1903. It lists his occupation from 1885-92 as a Clerk in a Boston P.O. then from 1893-1903 as Porter/ Head Porter in a PO in Boston, address at 185 Chestnut.

I went to the cometary in Waltham and definitely found his son Fred, and Hiram was suppose to be buried right beside him but the stone was a worn down one that looked like it said H Williamson with an mini American flag beside it but i couldn't confirm the name. The cemetary still hasn't gotten back to me about the records yet, hopefully soon. and couldn't find his wife or Fred's wife for that matter so i dont know if they have been moved or not....

i found the grave by search the Waltham City site, results here:

http://services.waltham.ma.us/cemetary/wc/detail.aspx?loc=7389&grv=8

almach
06-07-2014, 12:19 AM
To over complicate matters, I've found this 1900 USA census.

Waltham Ward 7, Middlesex, Massachusetts

Earnest Adams 41, head
Lowella Adams 37, wife
Marin Adams 6, dau
Bernice Adams 6, dau
Mary Holbrook 81, aunt
Hellen Holbrook 44, aunt
Edward Willison 19, roomer, single, born Sept 1881 Massachusetts, Father England, Mother Massachusetts
Hyrum Willison 70, roomer, widower, born Mar 1830, England, occupation Post Office, yrs in USA 30
Jennie Willison 47, roomer, single, born Sept 1852, Massachusetts, parents born Maine, Dressmaker

almach
06-07-2014, 1:04 AM
I found his US Naturalzation card and it lists his birthdate as 25 March 1838, address 185 Chestnut in Waltham, MA.

The only naturalization record I've found has a different address.
Hiram Williamson, add. Pine St Waltham, born Mar 25th 1838, naturalized Nov 6th 1886.

S Williamson
06-07-2014, 1:30 AM
Well thats interesting because i could never find them in the 1900 census...

As to the Naturalzation rec i looked back and you are right it does say Pine st.

Some of the city directories only say "at Waltham" ill go through them and write it all down...see if we can sort out a timelne...

Now im just lost...

almach
06-07-2014, 1:35 AM
Now im just lost...

You're not alone, me too :)

The 1900 census says he was married 22yrs, had 3 children and 2 still alive??? Odd, as you did mention 3 children and 1 having died young. This census seems to have thrown the cat amongst the pigeons.

S Williamson
06-07-2014, 1:46 AM
Ive looked at some of the Waltham City Directories.
1869- baker, at 445 Main
1871-boards at 18 River, works in a bleachery
1880- clerk, Mt Auburn near Patten
1882- clerk, house at Palfrey near Spring
1884- janitor at Watertown Public Library, house at Dana near Gardener
1886- clerk at a post office in boston, house at Pine nr Gardner
1890- clerk at a post office in boston, house 185 Chestnut
1895- head porter at post office in boston, house at 185 Chestnut
1903-head porter at post office in boston, house at 185 Chestnut

Those are the only ones with specific addresses.

S Williamson
06-07-2014, 1:49 AM
When researching Fred his fathers birthplace switched back and forth between England and Massachusetts in the 1900 and 1920? Census. Or 1910 and 1930? One of those. I remember because it confused me haha...

S Williamson
06-07-2014, 2:01 AM
HA! Try figuring this one!

It lists a Mary Holbrook born about 1818
Jenny's mother Mary i have was born abt 1817 in MA
It lists a Hellen Holbrook-Jenny had a sister Helen i have born abt 1851 in MA
At one point shes in the city directory as living at the same house as Hiram and Jenny

& i looked at the house number-185. If you look at the previous page it says Chestnut Street.
But why it would say widowed and single i have no idea...

S Williamson
06-07-2014, 2:27 AM
HA! Try figuring this one!

It lists a Mary Holbrook born about 1818
Jenny's mother Mary i have was born abt 1817 in MA
It lists a Hellen Holbrook-Jenny had a sister Helen i have born abt 1851 in MA ..

I forgot!!!!! Jenny also had a sister Lewella born abot 1861 in MA.
Lewella married. Earnest Adams on Dec. 4 1888 at the age of ~ 27 and he was ~33 which goes with the 1930 us cencus of Lewella and Earnest Adams saying he was 33 and she was 28.

And the date for Edward would fit give a year....

Something to definately think on...
Thank you almach!

almach
06-07-2014, 9:35 AM
Have to go out soon, here's a quick post.

In 1865 census Hiram was working in a Cotton Factory, living Waltham.
1870 census he's a Baker living Waltham
1880 census he's a Machinist in Watertown

It's going to take some figuring out!

S Williamson
06-07-2014, 1:29 PM
Yes, thats what have also seen.

S Williamson
25-04-2015, 2:12 PM
Looking through Newspapers.com i found some articles published in April 1889 about Hiram Williamson.
In the Fort Scott Daily of Fort Scott, Kansas it states " A Balaklava Veteran--Hiram Williamson who has just been appointed chief porter at the Boston post office was one of the immortal 600 who rode into the valley of death at Balaklava on the morning of October 25 1856. He possesses one of the clasp medals presented by Queen Victoria at Hyde Park to the returned Crimean soliders with her likeness in bas relief on one side, and the words "Victoria" below, and "Crimean" above while on the four bars that in part form the cover are the historic siege and battle names Alma, Inkermann, Balaklava abd Sebastopol.
In 1859 in company with a solider comrade Mr. Williamson came to this country and on the breaking out of the civil war both enlisted in the First Regiment of Massachusetts volunteers. His companion was killed at the battle of Glendale. Mr.Williamson remained in service until mustered out, a period of three years and three months.
In point of valor displayed and loss sustained he places the charge at Balaklava below that witnessed in many engagments of the civil war. In all his army perils he speaks of being conscious of greater personal danger at a short fierce fight at Yorktown, which resulted in the capture of a rebel battery, then at any other time during his ten years' service on two continents. Mr. Williamson is now 70 years of age."

Another article dated Nov 23 1903 concerning his death reads:
"BALAKLAVA SURVIVOR DIES AT WALTHAM--Nov 22--Hiram Williamson, an old solider died at his home in this city today. He was born at Manchester, England 84 years ago and was one of the survivors of the famous charge of the gallant 600 at Balaklava during the Crimean War.
Before the outbreak of the Crimean war he has seen cconsiderable service in the British Army, especially as a cavalryman, and was a member of the Seventeenth Lancers, which made the noted charge. After the Crimean war Mr Williamson came to this country. At the outbreak of the civil war he enlisted in a Boston regiment, serving through the war and having a record of 15 battles. He was on the firing line at Spottsylvania when General Stonewall Jackson was killed. Until a short time ago the was a clerk at the Boston postoffice."

How would i begin researching his British miltary career?
Medal rolls?
Rosters?

Does anyone know of any free searchable databases i could try first?

Megan Roberts
25-04-2015, 3:18 PM
I had a look on the National Archives site to see what that has about the Charge of the Light Brigade, it does not have anything searchable on line - simply of list of known holdings and where they are:
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=charge+light+brigade

Findmypast is not free, but it does have various data sets, which can search for free, but which you would have to buy credits to see.

This forum's sponsor "Forces War Records" may hold records that would help, but again it is not free.

thewideeyedowl
25-04-2015, 4:31 PM
This is a site all about Victorian wars: http://www.britishmedals.us/kevin/intro.html. The link should take you to the Home page, then investigate the various lists. I did a very quick search for WILIAMSON in the Crimea casualty rolls - which include wounded - and the name came up several times (though probably not your man!). Anyway, it is always worth taking a look at the site.

Owl