PDA

View Full Version : Pickfatt/Pickford in Frome area

stgiles_noke
03-09-2005, 8:47 AM
I am looking for Gabriel Pickford, born in Frome c.1778. he was a sawyer by trade, but joined the army in 1796, first the Somerset Militia, and then the 3rd Foot Guards, serving in Spain and Portugal during the Napoleonic Peninsular Wars. He died in the period 1814-1818.

On a recent visit to Somerset Archives I found Gabriel, son of John and Mary baptised in 1780. He was the only Gabriel Pickford (Pickfatt) I could find in the Frome (St. John the Baptist) baptism records in the period 1759 -1812, and I was pretty confident that this was him. I also found his marriage to Amelia (spelt Remalia), as anticipated, in Frome in 1802. However, when I got onto the burials I found 'Gaberel' Pickford, son of John, buried in 1793 - so there was obviously more than one Gabriel, although there is only one baptism recorded. My Gabriel definitely gave Frome as his birthplace on his army discharge document, so I'm uncertain whether this baptism is him or not - although I suppose that either he or the other Gabriel could have been born and baptised in one of the other parishes in Frome Hundred rather than the central parish of St. John. There also seem to have been at least 4 John Pickfords in the Frome area in the late 1780s.

As there seems to be no positive trace on the Somerset side of the county boundary I wonder whether in fact Gabriel and his family came from one of the parishes adjacent to Frome on the Wiltshire side.

I wonder if anyone else is researching this part of the family, as I'd be very grateful for any help in unravelling the different strands of Pickfords in Frome or the surrounding parishes at this time.

Yours hopefully, Anne Johnson

uknick26
29-08-2008, 7:33 AM
Hi Anne,
This reply comes 4 years later, so I wonderif you're still searching? I have a line of Pickfords who originate from the Great Elm / Frome area in Somerset.

My link is through Job Pickford b. 1829 in Great Elm; his father was William b. 1791; his father was James b. 1753; his father was Gabriel b. 1724; his father was Daniel b. 1700.

Regards
Nicki

stgiles_noke
01-09-2008, 7:33 AM
Dear Nicki,
It's great to hear from you. Yes, I'm pretty sure we are researching the same family although, as I said in my original post, I am still having difficulty proving that my 3x G grandfather Gabriel was the one baptised in Frome in 1780. However, I'm confident that there is a link between my Gabriels, Daniels and Johns and the Daniels and Gabriels from Great Elm - so I think we share Daniel & Jane and Gabriel & Anne as 5 and 6x G grandparents, and that my side of the family then descended through one of James's (b. 1753) elder brothers John (b. 1751). I'd love to compare notes.
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Best wishes,
Anne

uknick26
07-09-2008, 5:04 PM
Hi Anne,

Ive just been looking over my tree, and can see where your John Pickford (b.1751) fits in as a brother to my James (b.1753). And I guess that this John is the father of your Gabriel (b.1780)?

I have full (photo)copies of the Orchardleigh & Great Elm parish records and can confirm that there is only one Gabriel Pickford (Pickfatt / Pickfat etc) born in either of these parishes - that is Gabriel born in Great Elm (b.1724). So that eliminates both these parishes for the baptism of the other Gabriel (who died 1793).

Do you have a death or burial record for your Gabriel? How do you know he died between 1814 - 1818? Was this during his period in the army? or had he retired by then?

As the death of the "other" Gabriel is listed as "Gaberel Pickford, son of John" this suggests that this Gabriel is still a child and living with his parents at the time of his death.

I have loads of information on my branch of the Pickfords, but nothing really apart from parish records confirming dates for the earlier branches of the family which Im thrilled to see that they also appear to be the same as yours! I would love to see a copy of your tree and any further info. you have on your branch. perhaps email would be easier? Im on nickijackson26 @ hotmail.com

Cheers,
Nicki