PDA

View Full Version : Camp families of Stanstead Abbots and Much Hadham

Ed Bradford
03-09-2005, 4:59 AM
I'm related to Thomas Camp born about 1780 who married Elizabeth Wood in Stanstead Abbots during 1802. They had 12 children that I'm aware of, one of which is my ancestor Fanny Camp who married James Devile in Wareside during 1846.

In another line, I'm related to William Camp who married Elizabeth Osborne in Much Hadham during 1776. Their daughter Ann Camp is my ancestor who was christened at Little Hadham during 1777. She married James Fish in Little Hadham during 1795.

It is possible that these two Camp lines connect at some point but I have not been able to establish that fact.

I'm looking for anyone who would like to exchange information concerning these family lines. I'm also looking for leads of where to go to get more information concerning these families. Any help is appreciated.

Clive Blackaby
03-09-2005, 11:35 PM
Ed,
No relationship to my family as far as I know, but my lot also originated in those parishes, so I do a fair amount of rooting around in P.R.'s etc. I'll try and keep an eye open for anything interesting that might turn up.

You don't mention where you have looked or what records you have found so far - this would help in knowing what to suggest as a next move.

I can recommend Chris Reynolds' excellent site
http://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/index.htm

Ed Bradford
04-09-2005, 3:56 PM
Clive, thanks for keeping an eye open for me. I appreciate any help I can get. I've recently discovered this line in the IGI files in the Family History Center of the LDS Church. All of the information that I have to date is from that source. I currently know very little about Hertfordshire. Most of my genealogy focus has been on my Grandfather's line who lived in and around Middlesex. My Hertfordshire ancestors are on my Grandmother's side. I am currently studying maps and the history of Hertfordshire to try and get more familiar with the area. I live in the USA and the distance makes some research difficult. Again, thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Ed Bradford
05-09-2005, 4:09 PM
Clive, you are correct in saying that Chris Reynolds' site is excellent. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

John Camp
08-12-2005, 3:06 PM
Hi Ed,

I have been doing some research on my family. My Camp ancestor (James GGGF) left Cottered (Herts) for Standon (Herts) circa 1835. Another Camp family arrived in Standon from Much Hadham about the same time. William Camp from Hadham was the son of Noah (brother of Ann Fish I think). I have not been able to trace a link between the Camps of Hadham and Cottered but the villages are not to far apart and if there is a link it will go back prior to 1750. If Noah is Anns sister I have put together a tree of that Standon family (it may not be 100% correct but if you want it in Word format let me know).

Best Regards John Camp

Ed Bradford
08-12-2005, 10:39 PM
John, you and I are communicating privately about our families. I just wanted anyone else that reads this message thread to know that, which is the reason for this posting.

Also, in my original posting I indicated that the two Camp lines that I mention might be related. Since then I've been able to establish that they do in fact connect.

..............Ed

Clive Blackaby
09-12-2005, 12:34 AM
John, you and I are communicating privately about our families. I just wanted anyone else that reads this message thread to know that which is the reason for this posting.

Also, in my original posting I indicated that the two Camp lines that I mention might be related. Since then I've been able to establish that they do in fact connect.

..............EdHi Ed,
In my Blackaby searches I have come across a couple of "common areas"

I'm working from memory here, as the files are on a different computer (flash beggar - two pcs!!:::: totally disorganised person who doesn't know where his records are)

But I know I have census refs of Hannah Fish working as a servant in the same household as a Blackaby, and an elderly mr. deville, devoile or some such living with a similarly elderly mr. Blackaby in Ware. I'll try to dig out the references for you.

As a native of Hertfordshire, I'll gladly help you out with the local geography. my email address is accessible through the profiles on this site

rgds

Clive

Ed Bradford
09-12-2005, 3:57 PM
Clive, thanks so very much for the generous offer to help me. By not having ever been in the area, I sometimes overlook things that would probably be noticed by someone more familiar with the territory and surroundings. Because of that, I keep everything and go over it again sometime later when I'm more familiar with the area and feel a little like a native. I will call on you to help, I'm sure I'll need it.

I haven't stumbled across the name Blackaby in connection with my Camps or Deviles as of yet but that's not to say there wasn't one. Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide in this area.

...............Ed

serisier
16-09-2006, 3:24 PM
My apologies in advance if Camps from Reed are not relevant here. (Not too sure of the geography)
My ancestor Elizabeth Camp was born in Reed abt 1799 (from her death cert).
Her parents were listed as John Camp and Sarah Whitacks (from her death cert).
She married John Hart in Reed on 31 Dec 1815.

Question: Does anyone recognize this John Camp? Was he previously married to Sarah Bysouth? Or was this a different John Camp?

Ed Bradford
16-09-2006, 5:40 PM
It appears that Reed is about 14 miles by road north of Much Hadham. I don't have a John Camp appearing in my information until 1828. I do have an Elizabeth Camp born about 1785 in Little Hadham but her parents are William and Elizabeth. I wish I could be of more help. As I search through records looking for details on the Camp family, I'll keep a lookout for your ancestors as well.
..................Ed

Clive Blackaby
19-09-2006, 10:33 PM
My apologies in advance if Camps from Reed are not relevant here. (Not too sure of the geography)
My ancestor Elizabeth Camp was born in Reed abt 1799 (from her death cert).
Her parents were listed as John Camp and Sarah Whitacks (from her death cert).
She married John Hart in Reed on 31 Dec 1815.

Question: Does anyone recognize this John Camp? Was he previously married to Sarah Bysouth? Or was this a different John Camp?Well,
John Camp - Sarah Whitacks marriage was 15 MAY 1797, Reed.
John Camp - Sarah Bysouth marriage was 24 DEC 1769, Reed.

These might be the same John Camp, but I doubt it. There are several John Camp baptised in Reed, and others in nearby Therfield who are more likely.

I can't find John son of John and Sarah (nee Bysouth) but if I did, I might mark him as a possible for the second John.

(N.B. these are IGI records extracted from Reed Parish Registers - probably reliable, from my experience of Hertfordshire p.r. extracts, but needs checking)

shepherdgirl
12-10-2006, 11:08 AM
Hi all, I am descended on my Mothers side to the Cutmore family of the Hadhams.

I have the following

Marr Cert

09/12/1882 at S. James Church, in the Parish of High Wych after Banns

Edmund Cutmore age 23, Widower, Labourer, of Much Hadham
Father John Cutmore Labourer

Ellen Fish age 27 Spinster of Allens Green High Wych,
Father William Fish, Labourer

Edmund made his mark & Ellen signed

Witnesses Charles & Mary Blackaby – Charles made his mark – Mary signed.

William Fish I believe was married to Mary Wood.

I also have a Hannah Cutmore, sister of Edmund, marrying a Samuel Camp.

Are any of these linked to your investigations ? The same names seem to keep cropping up and I'm getting a bit confused. I am waiting for some parish registers for Much Hadham that I ordered from my local LDS to arrive and hope they shed some light on things, but would welcome any input.

Many thanks

Ed Bradford
13-10-2006, 12:25 AM
I have the Fish, Camp and Wood families in the Little Hadham to Ware areas during the mid to late 1700s. Unfortunately, I don’t have information on any of the people you mention. I wish I could be more help. If you get back that far please let me know. I may be able to help. ………….Ed

shepherdgirl
13-10-2006, 10:27 PM
Thank you - after a spell with the parish registers, I may well take you up on the offer.

Regards

dennis south
15-05-2008, 3:46 PM
Well,
John Camp - Sarah Whitacks marriage was 15 MAY 1797, Reed.
John Camp - Sarah Bysouth marriage was 24 DEC 1769, Reed.

These might be the same John Camp, but I doubt it. There are several John Camp baptised in Reed, and others in nearby Therfield who are more likely.

I can't find John son of John and Sarah (nee Bysouth) but if I did, I might mark him as a possible for the second John.

(N.B. these are IGI records extracted from Reed Parish Registers - probably reliable, from my experience of Hertfordshire p.r. extracts, but needs checking)
I have them as two different John Camp's. John Camp b circa 1781 married Sarah Whitacks his father John Camp b circa 1748 married Sarah Bysouth.
Camp/Bysouth Note:
In 1799 the Vicar of Barkway Thomas Bargus undertook a 'census' of the resident of Reed and Barkway. The following family was listed:-
Camp - John - Labourer
Sarah his Wife
Joseph age 11
Sarah age 2
Susanna age 5
Elizabeth age 1
Mary Bysouth - Pauper

Now problems arise because I believe Camp/Whitacks also had a daughter called Elizabeth born around the same time as the one above - this second Elizabeth married John Hart

Ed Bradford
17-05-2008, 12:06 AM
Hmmmmm. Good find Dennis. Unfortunately, Serisier, who originally inquired about John Camp from Reed, has only one post which occurred in 2006. Maybe your information will awaken Serisier up and get him/her to participate further.
..............Ed

julie-ann
21-10-2015, 1:38 PM
I have just picked up on these old threads. My family are also descended from the Camp, Fish, Wood and mainly Deville families, from Gravely and Ware. My great x 4 grandparents being James Fish & Ann Camp (born c 1778). Their daughter Elizabeth Fish married James Deville in 1817. Their son James Deville married Elizabeth Woods in 1854 at St Pancras having moved from Herts. I visited this church recently. Elizabeth Wood's parents were Joseph Wood and Betsy Hall. It seems that all these families inter - married, as they were living in small villages or hamlets at the time.

julie-ann
21-10-2015, 9:25 PM
I have just picked up on these old threads. My family are also descended from the Camp, Fish, Wood and mainly Deville families, from Gravely and Ware. My great x 4 grandparents being James Fish & Ann Camp (born c 1778). Their daughter Elizabeth Fish married James Deville in 1817. Their son James Deville married Elizabeth Woods in 1854 at St Pancras having moved from Herts. I visited this church recently. Elizabeth Wood's parents were Joseph Wood and Betsy Hall. It seems that all these families inter - married, as they were living in small villages or hamlets at the time.

My error, the son of James Deville and Elizabeth Fish was Joseph Deville. It was he who married Elizabeth Woods.

Ed Bradford
26-10-2015, 5:02 PM
It looks like our families connect and we have information to share. I've sent a private message to you with my email address in it. I look forward to your response.

....................Ed Bradford

ElaineMcGlynn
06-04-2016, 12:05 PM
Hi Ed, I too am related to you and have the link between the two Camp families (Ann Camp (mother of Elizabeth Fish) was the sister of Thomas Camp (father of Fanny Camp). I am also descended from the Deville side the same as Julie-Ann.

Elaine x

Ed Bradford
11-04-2016, 3:42 AM
Hey Elaine,

I've sent a private message to you with my email address in it. I believe that we can help each other and look forward to hearing from you.

....................Ed Bradford

Tdeville
09-12-2016, 8:56 PM
Hi my name is Tracey Deville , there were many Devilles in a small hamlet called Braughing in Hertfordshire, also my aunts maiden name is Camp so definately think there are some possible links here.

Ed Bradford
12-12-2016, 2:32 AM
Hey Tracey,
My Great Grandmother is a Devile, although, she changed it to Devoile or something similar. I guess she thought it fashionable at the time. I have a lot of information on the Devile/Camp lines. If you would care to communicate directly with me which would probably expedite our communication, I can be reached at [email protected].
...............Ed

CLRoot
06-01-2022, 1:28 AM
Hi my name is Tracey Deville , there were many Devilles in a small hamlet called Braughing in Hertfordshire, also my aunts maiden name is Camp so definately think there are some possible links here.

Firstly, a big „thank you“ to Ed, my newly discovered 3rd cousin once removed, and provider of some very interesting information about our ancestors.

I‘m just at the very beginning of my search for information about a particular line of my/my father‘s ancestry - being descendants of James Deville and Fanny Camp.

On the 1851 census document, the address given for James and Fanny was 60 Elm Green, Ware. I’ve searched for this address on various maps, and it doesn’t seem to exist. The address was hand-written on the census form, so I can‘t be 100% sure that I‘ve read it correctly. The occupants of the address include James (head age 30), Fanny (wife age 26), Catherine (daughter age 3) and Rosa (Daughter age 1).

Does anyone know if such a place existed or if I‘ve misread it?

Lastly, for any of you that I might be related to, „Hello! and Happy New Year to you all“.

Carolyn

almach
06-01-2022, 2:10 AM
60 Elm Green, Ware. I’ve searched for this address on various maps, and it doesn’t seem to exist.

Hi Carolyn, welcome to the Brit-Gen forums and good luck with your research.

Elm Green seems to have been known by various names, see here

https://www.hertsmemories.org.uk/google-search?st=elm+green

It can be found on modern maps by searching for Helham Green SG12 7RE

It is just off Scholars Hill which is the street address on the 1851 census just before Elm Green

CLRoot
21-03-2022, 10:47 PM
Hi Carolyn, welcome to the Brit-Gen forums and good luck with your research.

Elm Green seems to have been known by various names, see here

https://www.hertsmemories.org.uk/google-search?st=elm+green

It can be found on modern maps by searching for Helham Green SG12 7RE

It is just off Scholars Hill which is the street address on the 1851 census just before Elm Green

Thank you Alma.