PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Whadcock marriage

PaulaB
03-09-2005, 4:55 AM
I found the parish record of Daniel Whadcock's second marriage to Jame coultson in 1758 and have a couple of questions.

1 It has her profession down as servant of the parish, anyone know what that means?
2 The marrage haas 2 witnesses, Thomas Burwell 13 and Elizabeth Burwell age 9. It has a cross by their names as their marks but is it usual for a marriage in the 1700's to be witnessed by a 13 year old and a 9 year old

From the marriage of his son in 1788 it seems that marriage was witnessed by Daniel Whadcock and Thomas Burwell! so he must have been some sort of relative.

Geoffers
03-09-2005, 10:12 AM
I found the parish record of Daniel Whadcock's second marriage to Jame coultson in 1758 and have a couple of questions.
1 It has her profession down as servant of the parish, anyone know what that means?This depends on how the entry is worded. I suspect that she is a servant (unusual to have an occupation given in 1758); and that 'of the parish' refers to the fact that she is shown as residing in the parish where she married. Would you post the precise wording on the marriage entry.

2 The marrage haas 2 witnesses, Thomas Burwell 13 and Elizabeth Burwell age 9. It has a cross by their names as their marks but is it usual for a marriage in the 1700's to be witnessed by a 13 year old and a 9 year oldAre the ages of the witnesses recorded in the marriage entry? - This is unusual; but perhaps understandable in view of their ages. So long as a witness was regarded as competent, I'm not aware of an age limit.

Geoffers

PaulaB
03-09-2005, 12:40 PM
her proffesion was marked exactly as that servant of the parish these are the exact words . The witness's ages are marked
the mark of Thomas Burwell 13
the mark of Elizabeth Burwell 9

Geoffers
03-09-2005, 2:04 PM
her proffesion was marked exactly as that servant of the parish these are the exact words .
Fair enough, the reason I ask is that I have known the abbreviation 'sw' (for singlewoman) to be interpreted as 'serv'.

In this case the second part is is just noting that she is of the parish in which she married. Don't assume from this phrase that she was baptised in the parish.

The witness's ages are marked
the mark of Thomas Burwell 13
the mark of Elizabeth Burwell 9
I think these ages gave been given because it was so unusual; these odd bits of information are so useful.

Geoffers

whadcock
15-07-2006, 12:07 PM
This is the first time that I have found anyone researching my Whadcock family! Daniel Whadcock is my 5Xgreat grandfather. I am descended from his son Charles and then his son William. Are you stuck on Daniel's first marriage, as I am? I am gradually going through all the registers for North Warwickshire parishes.......

PaulaB
27-07-2006, 8:47 PM
This is the first time that I have found anyone researching my Whadcock family! Daniel Whadcock is my 5Xgreat grandfather. I am descended from his son Charles and then his son William. Are you stuck on Daniel's first marriage, as I am? I am gradually going through all the registers for North Warwickshire parishes.......

Daniel Whadcock is my 5 xgreat grandfather, I am descended from his son Charles and then his son Charles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes I am stuck on Daniel's first marriage and as soon I get some time I will be heading to thewarwickshire family record office to look for it

Daniel Whadcock Father of Charles Whadcock
Charles Whadcock father of Charles Whadcock
Charles Whadcock father of Joseph Whadcock
Joseph Whadcock father of James Ambrose Whadcock
James Ambrose Whadcock father of William Henry Whadcock
William Henry Whadcock father of Margaret Whadcock my mother. Unfortunatly I can't look up my records until I get them from the hard drive of my dead computer.

whadcock
02-08-2006, 7:31 PM
My Whadcock family runs:
Daniel, Father of Charles
Charles, Father of William
William, Father of William
William, Father of Thomas
Thomas, Father of William
William, Father of Elizabeth Maud, my mother

These lived in Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Warwickshire again,Derbyshire and ended up in Birmingham.

So does that make us fifth cousins?

PaulaB
02-08-2006, 7:40 PM
My Whadcock family runs:

These lived in Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Warwickshire again,Derbyshire and ended up in Birmingham.

I think so

PaulaB
03-08-2006, 9:48 PM
My Whadcock family runs:

The weird part is both of our grandfathers where called William your mother is Elizabeth Maud my mother is Margaret Elizabeth.