PDA

View Full Version : Parish Apprentice

GeoffD
02-09-2005, 9:05 AM
I have recently come across "Parish Apprentice" recorded as an occupation (Devon 1841 Census). Only a few, mind you, and in one parish only. Quite a few Agricultural Apprentices, plus the regular trade apprenticeships.

So what exactly was a Parish Apprentice? Were they the same as the Agricultural Apprentices? The commonalities between the two are the age (all around 15-16) and both sexes fairly evenly represented.

Geoffers
02-09-2005, 9:42 AM
I have recently come across "Parish Apprentice" recorded as an occupation (Devon 1841 Census). Only a few, mind you, and in one parish only. It may be something different for Devon, but in my own area of research references to people being 'apprenticed on the parish' relate to those from poor families whose children were apprenticed to give them a skill or occupation so that they may grow up to find work and so not be a burden on the parish rates.

The term should really have been slightly archaic by 1841, as a new form of Poor Law administration was introduced in 1834 - how old were these people in 1841?

However, someone with an interest in Devon does need to confirm the idea as terminology can be very local.

Geoffers

AnnB
02-09-2005, 11:26 AM
It may be something different for Devon, but in my own area of research references to people being 'apprenticed on the parish' relate to those from poor families whose children were apprenticed to give them a skill or occupation so that they may grow up to find work and so not be a burden on the parish rates.

This holds true for North Devon as well, some of the children being illegitimate or from very large families. I have come across some as young as 8 or 9.
Best wishes
Ann

GeoffD
03-09-2005, 2:24 AM
I think that Geoffers is on the right track. I've looked at examples of both the Parish Apprentices and the Agricultural Apprentices (as apart from Agricultural Labourers and trade apprentices of similar age) and they are in their early to mid teens, and you can usually make an educated guess as to which large family they belong to (just by looking for a 3-4 year gap between siblings, rather than a 1-2 year gap). Possible parents are usually Ag Labs.