PDA

View Full Version : Lancaster that crashed at Chemnitz

maximus67
07-06-2014, 2:50 PM
I'm researching my uncle's Lancaster, which was lost in Operation Thunderclap, on 6 March 1945, believed to have crashed near Chemnitz.

My uncle is the only one of the crew who is buried, the rest are commemorated at Runnymede.

What I'm struggling to understand, is how my uncle, Flight Sergeant Desmond Hadlow, is buried at the Berlin !939 - 1945 War Memorial, when his Lancaster crashed at Chemnitz.

Can anyone give me any ideas on how this could be, and where else I can search for further information?

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Lesley Robertson
07-06-2014, 3:05 PM
While people were initially buried close to where they died, most were moved to the organised cemeteries we know today after the war. I assume that's what happened to your Uncle.

Do you know the ID number of the Lancaster?

maximus67
07-06-2014, 3:10 PM
Hi Lesley,
MANY thanks for such a quick response, greatly appreciated, as I am trying to find out as much information as I can, before we take my 80 year old mother to see her brother's grave in Berlin, in August.
The details I have for the Lancaster, are PD403 and UL-F2 ....does that help?
Many thanks again,
Cheryl

Lesley Robertson
07-06-2014, 3:24 PM
I've just checked the references that I have, sadly they only cover planes lost over the Netherlands and coastal water....

Have a look in the RAF section of the National Archives HERE (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/raf-rfc-rnas.htm)

I must admit to being a little puzzled. Why do you think that he was part of Operation Thunderclap? It was a month earlier, from 13-15 Feb.

Hopefully, you should be able to find information on what 576 Squadron were doing on 6 March from the National Archives. There's a website HERE (http://www.lostaircraft.com/) called Lost Aircraft that shows the destination of the mission as Chemnitz. They say that the plane is believed to have crashed in the target area (ie Chemnitz) as F/O Rouse (pilot) was reported to have been buried in the Reichenhainer Strasse Friedhof, although his grave has not been found. It's possible that the markers of his and other crew members' graves were lost or destroyed and your Uncle's one was the only one that could be identified when they came to centralize burials. I know of a couple of other places where this has happened.

BTW if you want to look for yourself, PD403 is the serial number of the plane, and UL-F2 is its identifier.

maximus67
07-06-2014, 3:29 PM
Lesley,

MANY thanks again, I'll have a look now!

Kind regards,

Cheryl

Carpe Diem
15-07-2016, 6:07 AM
Hi Cheryl

I saw you post and although it's over a year old I'd like to help out.

My father flew with 576 and in his, and all those who flew with 576's honour, I am compiling the complete history of the Squadron.

Would you please contact me as I have some very useful information for you. I also have a FB group called 576 Squadron which you would be welcome to join!

Best regards

Matt

I'm researching my uncle's Lancaster, which was lost in Operation Thunderclap, on 6 March 1945, believed to have crashed near Chemnitz.

My uncle is the only one of the crew who is buried, the rest are commemorated at Runnymede.

What I'm struggling to understand, is how my uncle, Flight Sergeant Desmond Hadlow, is buried at the Berlin !939 - 1945 War Memorial, when his Lancaster crashed at Chemnitz.

Can anyone give me any ideas on how this could be, and where else I can search for further information?

Any ideas greatly appreciated!