PDA

View Full Version : Help in finding my dad's military history

Cupcake
04-06-2014, 9:59 AM
Hi, I am new to this & have to say, I do not find this site friendly! I am trying to find out about my Dad who served from 1939-45. I have his Soldiers Release book which tells me his army number & what Rgt(RA) he was last serving with. Can any one tell me if this would be the same rgt he enlisted with or would it have changed during his time of service? My dad never talked about the war or even collected his medals & after he died my mom said he was involved, like many, with the Normandy invasion. I am not sure how true this is as I have no idea how to go around finding out. I have googled etc with no joy. Even when i put his name & number in on this site i get nothing. Can anyone give me any guidance? many thanks..oh by the way, a couple of years after his death, I finally got all his medals oh his behalf

christanel
04-06-2014, 10:31 AM
Hello cupcake and welcome to British-Genealogy :smile5:

You will not find your father's service records online as WW11 records are still held by the MOD. You can order them by following the links from here (http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html) It will tell you who can order the records and what information you have to provide.

Christina

Cupcake
04-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Ahh, thank you so much for the info. I wish it said this at the beginning...I would not have joined up!

timbo58
04-06-2014, 11:14 AM
I am quite sure FWRs support will refund you if you feel this was not obvious from the outset before you paid.
They are pretty reasonable ion that respect.

The FWR main site under tutorials (viewable in full before payment) does state this very clearly however.
Which is more than other genealogy sites I have experienced I do have to stress.

Cupcake
04-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Hi thanks for the info, I didn't see that about the MOD as all that kept popping up was log in or join up! I am not that technically good on websites & I truly didn't find it at all friendly. I am not bothered about the refund I just wanted to find info & I signed up for a site that does not provide it & I didn't realise it. I am a bit galled by that & really am glad I only signed up for 1 month!

timbo58
04-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Thats no problem-none of the sites will be able to give you that specific service records information (even though some claim 'complete records'! -what rot).

FWR support however are second to none -contact them and you'll get a refund no doubt.

Sue Mackay
04-06-2014, 12:38 PM
Cupcake, also be aware that you are actually now on the British Genealogy site, which is owned by FWR but is totally separate and totally free for all members, many of whom have never even visited the FWR site but are nevertheless willing to aid you in any family history research if they can. Please read the sticky thread at the top of this forum

http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/showthread.php/82045-FWR-Members-Please-Read

which should hopefully make things a bit clearer. You are welcome to keep visiting BG for free as long as you like!

simmo1
04-06-2014, 8:01 PM
Make sure you cancel your subscription too, it is automatically renewed.

regards

Robert

timbo58
04-06-2014, 8:08 PM
it's switched off if it's refunded anyway to be fair, but good point simmo -all sites operate an auto renew so customers of all should be made aware as you rightly state.