PDA

View Full Version : Alured Gray Bell b. Alexandria, Egypt 1870

consignee
03-06-2014, 7:36 PM
Looking for biographical information about Alured Gray Bell born Alexandria, Egypt 14th April, 1870 and died 1925, Kensington, London. He appears in the English Census 1881 and 1901. He lived in Rio de Janeiro for two years (after 1901) and wrote the first book in English about the city, "The beautiful Rio de Janeiro", published April, 1914. His father was James Leonard Bell b. 10 Jun 1842 Egypt, d. 19 Mar 1887.

Apologies, no information to hand about military service, if any, for either gentleman.

Thank you

thewideeyedowl
03-06-2014, 8:38 PM
Hi again, Consignee....

Glad you have set us another challenge! Have just had a very quick check on TNA and see that he petitioned for divorce in 1908. The respondent was his wife Minnie Charlotte Bell and the co-respondent Owen Howard Owen. Unfortunately, the record has not been digitised and can be viewed only at Kew. But here's the reference: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C8001619. You might find something more on this in a newspaper archive?

So, was there any link between the failure of his marriage and the time he spent in Brazil?? Just speculation, I am afraid.

Not much to go on. Sorry about that.

Owl

thewideeyedowl
03-06-2014, 10:04 PM
Hi, me again...

Have just found some Bell family trees, and here is the entry for Alured:
http://www.queenslandfamilytrees.com/getperson.php?personID=I301&tree=9. (Yes, nearer your place than mine...)

Obviously, info from any online tree has to be approached with great care, but this looks as if it has been reasonably well researched. When you click on John Leonard Bell, you will find a family group painting from 1849.

It looks as if the Bell family had a long association with Alexandria - grandfather Thomas was a merchant there, too - but the family roots were in England, and that is where marriages were contracted.

But had you already found these trees?

Off to roost now.

Owl

janbooth
04-06-2014, 9:57 AM
There is a small article about Alured Gray BELL's divorce in the Western Times which can be accessed using FindmyPast which is a pay per view site. There are also a couple of other articles mentioning his full name including one he wrote about the Boer War and several more under the name Alured BELL or Alured G BELL. Could be worth a look.

Janet

thewideeyedowl
04-06-2014, 1:18 PM
Admittedly this is going off at a tangent, but here goes:

Owen Owen Ltd was a large and well-respected department store in Liverpool, founded and run by a Welshman called Owen Owen. (You can check it out in Wikipedia.)

So I am wondering whether the Owen Howard Owen who was the co-respondent in the Bell divorce case might have been a scion of this Owen family. Also, whether there might have been some trade/merchant rivalry between the Bell and Owen families.

If we could establish some info about the divorce case, we might be able to build a picture of Alured.

Swooping off now.

Owl

geneius
04-06-2014, 9:00 PM
Married by Licence 19 June 1867
St Matthews Church Brixton
James Leonard BELL 25 merchant of Alexandria Egypt living Westminster s/o Thomas BELL Merchant
& Isabel Francis BATEMAN 18 living Brixton d/o Henry BATEMAN Stockbroker
Alured Grey BELL born 1871 Alexandria Egypt
Henry M 1874
Gregory T 1879
Cyril M 1879
Richard ET 1883
Ella Una Georgette 1886
Alured married Minnie Charlotte KNAPP 19 August 1899 witnesses E Una BELL & GT BELL
Alured was the petitioner in a divorce against his wife & Owen Howard OWEN decree nisi 7 May 1908
Co respondent was ordered to pay Alured £500 damages

Family can be found on 1891 census, parents only at RG11 3916 136 54, ancestry used some info is on familysearch

thewideeyedowl
04-06-2014, 10:33 PM
Alured is repeatedly described as 'journalist', but I have not established for which publications he wrote. In the 1901 census, aged 30, he is 'Journalist. Author'; lives in Fulham with his young wife, Minnie (26) and her sister Dorothy (25). Ref: RG13, Piece 66, Folio 78, Page 11.

We know there was the divorce in 1908. (But what happened? Why? Has anyone discovered? I don't have free access to newspaper archives...)

Have discovered that he made at least two trips to South America - probably more(?). He returned to Liverpool on board the Deseado on 26 June 1913, and on board the Demerara on 16 December 1915. On both passenger lists (accessed via Ancestry), his profession is 'Journalist'. The ships were run by the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company.

His book about the Rio was published in 1914.

Incidentally, Alured was educated at Christ's Hospital School, Hertford. His name is there, in a very long list, on the 1881 census. So, as the family was based in Egypt, he would have been a boarder. This supports the perception that he came from a prosperous background.

I still think some info about the divorce would shed some light on his reasons for possibly immersing himself in South America.

Off to roost.

Owl

geneius
04-06-2014, 11:21 PM
But what happened? Why? Has anyone discovered?

Admitted adultery by Minnie BELL with Owen Howard OWEN circa 1907/8 ( divorce application on ancestry)

I am not sure how long the family were in Egypt, as I can see them on the 1881 -1911 census

We know from the birth of the children

1871 Egypt
1874 SriLanka
1877 Sri Lanka
1879 Surrey
1881....Husband & wife are recorded in Chorlton upon medlock Manchester
1883 Evesham Worcs
1886 Egypt
1887 22 March James L BELL buried Norwood

geneius
04-06-2014, 11:35 PM
Bit late now but just stumbled on this not read but know it is connected

http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/printable/30683

probably same article

http://www.oxforddnb.com/templates/olddnb.jsp?articleid=30683

Bell family dates recorded list is alphabetical

http://website.lineone.net/~remosliema/residents4.htm

Starting to get complex!!

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=dGeM6r_YbocC&pg=PT188&lpg=PT188&dq=thomas+bell+merchant+of+egypt&source=bl&ots=1KJsHG1u9D&sig=Hikq8KlGSyAT_KQVXiCY-9FF2xM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=m6yPU_WnO6OV7AbkwoDoAg&ved=0CFEQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=thomas%20bell%20merchant%20of%20egypt&f=false

thewideeyedowl
05-06-2014, 7:17 AM
Good morning all....

Geneius, what you found so late last night is really interesting - have been checking it out while having breakfast!

The DNB entries for Charles Moberley Bell state that he was a'future manager of The Times', which makes me think that perhaps Alured worked for The Times. Can old archives for the newspaper be checked online? Think I have seen somewhere that they can but I am going to be out all day.

Charles was not one of Alured's brothers but perhaps an uncle or cousin?

If you check the queenslandfamilytrees link I found earlier, you will see Alured's siblings and family confirmed. Haven't had the time to click around there to see how Charles Moberley Bell fits in.

Swooping off for the rest of the daylight hours.

Owl

janbooth
05-06-2014, 10:12 AM
I think the Sheffield Daily Telegraph may have been one of the newspapers he wrote for as there appear to be quite a few hits for this newspaper using his name as the search parameter including one on the British Garrison in Egypt. Also other articles for various newspapers re Egypt. There are references to the fact that he was considering running for Parliament in the Hallamshire constituency.

Very little on his divorce. Just the one article with hardly any information.

Janet

consignee
05-06-2014, 10:32 AM
Hi Owl,

Yes, thank you, did find listing for Alured in this Queensland site. Would be interesting to know why the family was in Queensland. Waiting for my free registration to this site to be approved and ask for local information in their forum.

consignee
05-06-2014, 11:04 AM
Thank you to Owl, geneius and janbooth for your time spent to reply. It is greatly appreciated. I am completely unfamiliar with the type of information to be found in divorce records. So as not to waste anyone's valuable time, the type of biographical information I'm looking for on Bell concerns his occupation, possible military service, travelling and that sort of thing. Shall definitely follow up on the Sheffield Telegraph lead. He signs and dates the introduction to his book on Rio as Craven Hotel, Strand, London., January 1914.
Interestingly, just a few months before the outbreak of WWI. At around 44 years old, wonder what he did during the war years.

Thank you again

consignee
05-06-2014, 4:49 PM
I think the Sheffield Daily Telegraph may have been one of the newspapers he wrote for as there appear to be quite a few hits for this newspaper using his name as the search parameter including one on the British Garrison in Egypt. Also other articles for various newspapers re Egypt. There are references to the fact that he was considering running for Parliament in the Hallamshire constituency.

Very little on his divorce. Just the one article with hardly any information.

Janet

Thank you Janet. Have found a couple of articles and letters to the Editor (1904) that he wrote and published in the Sheffield Daily. Regrettably, only have the titles as they require a paid sub to view the full article. He is mentioned in association with Liberal Parliamentarian, Sir Frederick Mappin around 1904. In the same year, Bell gave 'lantern' lectures at Conservative meetings at Chapeltown and Oughtbridge.

geneius
05-06-2014, 5:54 PM
http://www.scoop-database.com/list/atoz_journalist/b

Alphabetical journalist listing entitled Biography for Alured Gray Bell

consignee
05-06-2014, 6:16 PM
http://www.scoop-database.com/list/atoz_journalist/b

Alphabetical journalist listing entitled Biography for Alured Gray Bell

As I work for a not-for-profit library, regrettably, I'm limited to free sites. This looks the goods, though, pity.

Thank you

CanadianCousin
05-06-2014, 6:50 PM
I see that you can get a 24-hour subscription for just £5 (AU$9), which doesn't seem unreasonable. There's also a listing for an A. G. Bell - perhaps Alured wrote under that name as well? Plus, there's biography of Charles Frederic Moberly Bell at the same site, which may tell you whether they were related or not.

consignee
06-06-2014, 9:28 AM
I see that you can get a 24-hour subscription for just £5 (AU$9), which doesn't seem unreasonable. There's also a listing for an A. G. Bell - perhaps Alured wrote under that name as well? Plus, there's biography of Charles Frederic Moberly Bell at the same site, which may tell you whether they were related or not.

Thank you CanadianCousin and G'day from Australia.
Working on a project to digitise a catalogue of some 5000 books in a collection of 30,000 items. Mainly 19th century and early 20th century authors. I like to include a biographical note regarding the author as the old records only give the name of the author. Through this forum, have been able to give many soldier/authors a rightful place in perpetuity and assist researchers using our catalogue.
It is the Queen's birthday holiday weekend here and have free access to Ancestry.com so will make 'hay while the sun shines'. Have established that Charles Fredric Moberly Bell is not related.

For anyone interested, have written a blog post regarding Alured Gray Bell's book on Rio that will be posted shortly on:
http://rgssamachupicchu.blogspot.com.au/
Followers to the blog would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again

consignee
06-06-2014, 12:18 PM
Just to add that we are not-for-profit library and I work in a volunteer capacity.

Again, my thanks.

consignee
06-06-2014, 3:11 PM
Biographical information gathered here is for public record.

geneius
06-06-2014, 10:32 PM
Have established that Charles Fredric Moberly Bell is not related.

OOPs! I had worked out that Charles FM BELL b 1847 was the brother of James Leonard BELL b 1842 and therefore the Uncle of Alured!

consignee
07-06-2014, 9:53 AM

OOPs! I had worked out that Charles FM BELL b 1847 was the brother of James Leonard BELL b 1842 and therefore the Uncle of Alured!

Apologies for the misinformation. Thanks for highlighting the error as it may be useful for others interested in this line of the Bell family. For my purposes, will probably not mention the connection.