PDA

View Full Version : Cordwainers in Durham

Darklldo
28-05-2014, 11:20 PM
Hello, I am trying to locate my 3rd great Grandfather's parents. He was Henry Gibson born in Heightington, Durham in 1782 and was a shoemaker.

I have been looking for seven years for his parents. I have such good records for Henry, but absolutely not sigh at all of his parents, so I thought I'd try contacting any guild for cordwainers in Durham.

Does anyone here know what they are called or where I can find them?

:smile5:

Waitabit
29-05-2014, 9:58 AM
I googled guild of Shoe/bootmakers in Durham + cordwainers guilds in Durham UK =:

https://www.dur.ac.uk/library/asc/collection_information/cldload/?collno=44
& others which spun about a lot.There are several sites which may or not be of help

1841 census has a Henry Gibson 60 B. 1781 Durham a shoemaker +wife Mary 58 not born in county with son Henry- 17 plumber & Glaziers appy. born local.all res. at Priestgate, Darlington, Durham
Class: HO107; Piece: 303; Book: 27; Civil Parish: Darlington; County: Durham; Enumeration District: 13; Folio: 16; Page: 27;
Class: HO107; Piece: 2382; Folio: 396; Page: 54
Henry 70 of Heighington with Henry his son of Darlington & Mary Dtr in law.
Try Familysearch.org as there are some entries, you would be better placed to choose, or not being in Tassie.

Darklldo
29-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Thank you for looking. I have these two Henrys… it's the Henry Gibson that was born in 1781 whose parents I can't find, and I have spent hours and hours looking.
I can't believe that with this Henry 1781 having such clear and concise records that his parents are just nowhere to be found.
Not easy from Australia is it :)

Waitabit
29-05-2014, 10:15 AM
Not easy from Australia is it

So often not. There are so many sites out there to check & many times by dint of a miss-spelt name either by clergy or parent or anyone with contact at the 'doings' things can go horribly wrong. I've seen many such cases in transcribing baptisms.
I wonder if he was born/baptisedin another area & moved with his parents at a very young age?

Darklldo
29-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Yes I have wondered this, but somewhere, and I have forgotten where, it was pretty clear he was born in Heighington, Durham… I'm just annoyed with myself that I can't confirm this now.

He definitely stayed in Durham for the rest of his life, married and died there. I have his name in nearly every site I can find but there has been no response at all. I have even fished putting his father's name in as various family names like Henry, Edward, Alexander, Thomas and several others, but nothing :(

Yes misspelt or misunderstood, oh the mistakes I have come across in my search :D