PDA

View Full Version : Boer War Expertise - help please

Hollyberry1962
27-05-2014, 8:12 AM
Hi everyone,

Having discovered two relatives who lost their lives in the Boer War, I am now having a crash course in Boer War history. However, would appreciate any help.

Alfred Edward Sach 6459, 3rd Battalion Essex - Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry died 23 Jan 1901

Corporal Ernest Charles Sach 439(1)or(7), 2nd Battalion Essex - Oxfordshire & Bucks died 15 Jan 1901.

Trying to get to grips with the military aspect i.e were they in Essex regiments which became Oxford & Bucks? Also can find both on Ancestry Military Campaign medals but only Alfred on here?

Any advice appreciated.

Hollyberry

altercynthia
05-07-2014, 9:43 AM
Holly Berry: Hi do you know in which battles they were killed? We have many military cemeteries with Boer war graves, round us in the Tranvaal ,South Africa, and my husband and I visit them whenever possilble. Maybe we can help you.

helachau
05-07-2014, 4:34 PM
A very warm welcome to Britgen- but no, I don't have any Boer War expertise. However - coincidence??

Find My Past has a record for an Ernest Sach, no 4397, who joined/attested the 1st Battalion, Essex Regiment, on 14 Jan 1895, age 18. He was discharged 23 Jan 1909. Re-enlisted 1914. The address was Woodham Mortimer, father William.

Do you have access to Find My Past?

Afrikaner
05-07-2014, 6:44 PM
Hi Holly,
here is a e-mail adress for your request, sure somebody can help you there. [email protected]; also http://www.eggsa.org. kind regards Isabel

Hollyberry1962
07-07-2014, 12:47 PM
Holly Berry: Hi do you know in which battles they were killed? We have many military cemeteries with Boer war graves, round us in the Tranvaal ,South Africa, and my husband and I visit them whenever possilble. Maybe we can help you.
Hi altercynthia, thanks for the offer of help. The info I have is that Alfred Edward Sack b.1873 - d.23 Jan 1901 from gunshot and Ernest Charles Sack b.1878 - d.15 Jan 1901 typhoid, but this info is from family papers lodged at a local archive by one of their nephews in note form and not backed up with documentation. Info I have from Ancestry is Private A E Sack 3rd Battalion Essex, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Reg entitled to Queens medal with Cape Colony, Transvaal and SA 1902. E Sack is a bit more confusing he may be Corporal E Sack entitled to Queens medal plus Orange Free State, Transvaal, SA 1901 and 1902. I don't know if the medal entitlement gives any clues to which battles/cemeteries they may have been buried in? I am currently waiting to hear from the Oxfordshire and Bucks museum, who have Alfred but not Ernest listed. Should you on your travels come across either Sack,that would be amazing, but will continue to dig for more verified info. Thank you for your offer of help.....Hollyberry

Hollyberry1962
07-07-2014, 12:57 PM
A very warm welcome to Britgen- but no, I don't have any Boer War expertise. However - coincidence??

Find My Past has a record for an Ernest Sach, no 4397, who joined/attested the 1st Battalion, Essex Regiment, on 14 Jan 1895, age 18. He was discharged 23 Jan 1909. Re-enlisted 1914. The address was Woodham Mortimer, father William.

Do you have access to Find My Past?
Hi helachau, thanks for the response, not on FMP, my Ernest Sack's father was Augustus T Sack and they were from Lancs and B'Ham area. However, if there's a 4397 Ernest Sack. It probably means mine more likely to be no 4391 (I couldn't read the last digit)!
Thanks for the info.....Hollyberry

Hollyberry1962
07-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Hi Holly,
here is a e-mail adress for your request, sure somebody can help you there. [email protected]; also http://www.eggsa.org. kind regards Isabel

Thanks for the help Isabel will make enquiries........Hollyberry

helachau
07-07-2014, 5:27 PM
Hi helachau, thanks for the response, not on FMP, my Ernest Sack's father was Augustus T Sack and they were from Lancs and B'Ham area. However, if there's a 4397 Ernest Sack. It probably means mine more likely to be no 4391 (I couldn't read the last digit)!
Thanks for the info.....Hollyberry

Please accept my apologies for reading your initial post incorrectly and chasing the name "Sach".

Hollyberry1962
07-07-2014, 5:45 PM
Helachau, mine could be Sach or Sack, family come up as both on various docs. Once again thanks for your help.

Hollyberry1962
07-07-2014, 7:10 PM
For clarification family surname started out as Sach but sometimes appears as Sack. holllyberry

familyresearchr
21-08-2015, 2:07 PM
Hi All,

sorry if I am hijacking a thread here

I am seeking help with finding any records of my ancestor Cecil Ernest FISHER died 9th December 1902 at Leydsdorp of malaria. He was an ex Kalgoorlie miner (Western Australia ) and I assume he was chasing gold. I also assume he is buried in one of the 89 unmarked graves in the Leydsdorp cemetery. Where would I find a death certificate? Any help appreciated. familyresearchr