PDA

View Full Version : Looking for information on William H Dawson

lisaju
31-08-2005, 4:13 PM
Hi
I am looking for information on William Harold Dawson who lived in Coventry. He died in 1956. He had a wife, Rose and in total 9 children. I believe he came from Shropshire and changed his name from William James to William Dawson. Any information would be great. Many thanks.

Certificates
31-08-2005, 9:12 PM
This just might be him in the 1901 census. Not many other options for William James born in Shropshire in 1900 +/- i year

John James abt 1837 Dudleston, Shropshire, England Head Ellesmere Shropshire
Mary James abt 1868 Dudleston, Shropshire, England Daughter Ellesmere Shropshire
Mary James abt 1899 Old Hardwick, Shropshire, England Granddaughter Ellesmere Shropshire
Sarah James abt 1837 Rosehall, Shropshire, England Wife Ellesmere Shropshire
William James abt 1899 Old Hardwick, Shropshire, England Grandson Ellesmere Shropshire

Antony

Wirral
31-08-2005, 11:04 PM
The Mary James b1868 that Anthony found is single & living with her parents & their 2 grandchildren, William & Mary age 2 (possibly twins?) . John James is a coachman. The family are living at Old Hardwick at Ellesmere. The house is next but one to Hardwick Hall, so John is possibly a coachman there.
Could William & Mary be the illegitimate children of Mary? Possibly with a father by the name of Dawson? There is a Harry Dawson, single 25, tailor, living with his widowed mother & sisters in Ellesmere in the 1901 census.

lisaju
01-09-2005, 8:19 PM
...I missed off a bit of info, he was 52 when he died which means he was born 1906/7, so the 1901 census is useless until I find details of his parents. And as he wasn't married to my grandmother, I can't look on the marriage certificate! And I can't find a marriage registered for him and his proper wife Rose, but I need to look a bit harder.
Thanks for all your help!

lisaju
16-03-2006, 12:28 PM
I found a marriage between my grand father, William Harold Dawson and Rose Mary Facer in Rugby. However, his father is also named as William Harold Dawson.....I have since been told that his father was called Bill James and his mother was Lizzie. I have no idea if this is truth or fantasy!