PDA

View Full Version : Dishonourable Discharge records British Army

Skydiver
23-05-2014, 7:46 PM
Hi My great uncle borne in the Forest of Dean in 1908, is thought to have been DD'd from the Army, but sadly none of his relatives are alive now to confirm or deny.

It is said he was 'Busted' from Corporal but no Unit or Service number is known so I cant pin point him.

Does anyone know of a reasonable source for me to search? I have exhausted all the usual ones.

Many thanks for any assistance. :banghead:

Lesley Robertson
23-05-2014, 8:20 PM
I suspect that your best bet is to order a copy of his records. There's a sticky message at the top of this forum which will take you to info on how to do it.

Skydiver
24-05-2014, 11:02 AM
Lesley

Thank you, but as we have no indication of his military details we cannot pick him out from the many thousands of the same name.

I was interested in finding out if a specific D/D register existed.

Skydiver

Peter Goodey
24-05-2014, 3:32 PM
Lesley has given you good advice. You do not have to "pick him out". You know his full name, you know he was in the army, you know when he died and you know his exact date of birth. If he died less than 25 years ago you'll need the consent of the next of kin (unless you are the next of kin).

Skydiver
26-05-2014, 11:51 AM
Peter

Thanks for those words but you seem to have assumed I have his entire life history to refer to. Well I do not, for all we have is his name i.e. Charles EDWARDS and his year of birth.

I am sure you are aware that if I load those skimpy details into any Search Engine it will cough up thousands of names, hence the need to 'pick him out'.

That is why I sent this clear indication to Lesley Quote " Thank you, but as we have no indication of his military details we cannot pick him out from the many thousands of the same name.

I was interested in finding out if a specific D/D register existed. "Unquote.

It seems that when I was advised to join Forces War Records I was wasting my time and money.

Thanks

Skydiver.

christanel
26-05-2014, 10:33 PM
Hello Skydiver
A general search engine search using a serviceman's name for WW11 will not yield a result.
No site has WW11 records as they are still held by the MOD and strict rules apply as to who can access some/all content and when.
This is explained here (https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records)

All sites list what records they hold, including FWR. Some are exclusive to a particular site and others can be seen on a choice of sites but no site has WW11records on line.
The way forward to solve this may be to try and find out some more about your Charles Edwards. You have his birth year but do you have the day and month? He is your great uncle so you have his parents' names? Was he married? He survived the war so is there a marriage, children we may be able to find and most importantly a death which you will need to apply for his service records. All of these will help to identify your man.

My notebook is playing up at the moment so I can't check the forms (in the link above) to see just how little information you can get away with when requesting the records but I do know you need his date of death not being a direct descendant.

British-Genealogy (which is a separate entity to FWR although owned by them) is a completely free site whose members are always willing to give help and advice to those who ask for it and do so, freely, in their own time so if you still want some help we are willing give it a go.

Christina