PDA

View Full Version : James Bell – Durham or Scotland?

Mandie
31-08-2005, 10:30 AM
I've been spending a lot of time re-evaluating all the evidence I've collected in my search for the Bell and Watts family trees, and I don't know how to move forward with this particular one.

What I know

James Bell was born c1788.
He married Margaret, who was born c1787. I've calculated they could have married anytime between 1804 and 1826. But as to where, I have no idea…
James was primarily working as a cordwainer.
1841 census – James and family reside in Pittington, County Durham (He is stated as being born in the county).
1851 census – James and family reside at Lodge Hill, Durham (James is said to be born in Durham, County Durham).
1861 census – James and youngest son, Aaron, are living at Bell's Villa in Durham (James now originates from Scotland) [Ref: RG9/3742 f41 p44].
James likely died in 1866 (I'm waiting on the death certificate).

Things aren't too bad if he is from Durham, as I can hunt in the parish registers for him (which was my plan). But the 1861 census entry has thrown me, because if he was born in Scotland where do I begin looking? Is the 1861 census likely to be more accurate than the previous two?

Any ideas?

Wirral
31-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Have you tried going sideways - seeing if there are any potential brothers living near him in the 1841 census & following them to where they say they were born? Is the name common in the Durham area?

Mandie
31-08-2005, 2:36 PM
Have you tried going sideways - seeing if there are any potential brothers living near him in the 1841 census & following them to where they say they were born? Is the name common in the Durham area?

I will try looking for anyone that may be a brother. Good idea. And unfortunately Bell is a very common name in County Durham (and fairly common in Scotland). Thanks for your suggestion. :)